Zambrano: Sign me before the season starts or I'm out

CSF

This should be an interesting distraction for the Cubs entering Spring Training. Atleast with Buehrle and the White Sox everyone knows we're not signing him.

I hope Zambrano doesn't back off these comments. Stay strong, 'Big Z,' and continue riding ownership to sign a long term deal before the season begins.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zambrano is just doing what Buerhle said to the White Sox but in a more demanding way. Sign me to a fair deal (according to the market) or just let me finish this contract in 2007 and walk. If Zambrano waits until free-agency he can strike BIG time next offseason. Knowing the Cubs though, they'll give in and fork up the money making their payroll even more ridiculous than it already is.

Interesting situation: I think the Cubs will re-sign him, as they don't care how much money they spend now, and I believe Zambrano wants to stay with the losers. On the other hand, if he goes into this year knowing he's going to be a FA, he's going to be crazier than usual trying to throw 200 mph every pitch. As S=Dorf always states, Zambrano is a product of the NL. He relies on the #8/9 spot in the order to get big outs.

I love the irony in all this. Because Hendry got stupid and decided to pay Ted Lily $10 million a year and Marquis about $6 million, he made it more difficult to sign his own ace. I know the cubs have a lot of money, but I believe "BIG Z" is less likely to sign an extension with them than Buehrle with the White Sox.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
Whoa, I missed that one. The Yankees seriously collapse without Mo at the end of that pen. I'd bet both Toronto and Boston pass them if Rivera leaves.

Mr. Automatic is really pissed at how the Yankees are dealing with Bernie Williams.

Bernie Williams isn't in Yankees camp. But whether he comes or not, it's obvious he's going to be an issue.

Mariano Rivera, the great Yankees closer who'd previously expressed dismay over the team's delay in extending his own contract, told SI.com on Tuesday that the Yankees should be treating Williams better.

Responding to a question about whether he's surprised that Williams didn't receive a guaranteed deal from the Yankees, Rivera responded, "Surprised? Yes ... I think Bernie shouldn't be treated that way. But who am I to say?''

Rivera had declined to discuss Williams' situation on Monday, when he expressed disappointment at having to wait to have his contract addressed, even though he had told the Yankees weeks ago that he was interested in staying beyond 2008. However, Rivera made it clear in an interview with SI.com how he feels about Williams' plight.

"Bernie should be here with his bat,'' Rivera said, emphatically. "He had a great year last year, and he helped us a lot. I guess that's the business side of baseball.''

On Monday, Rivera had suggested dismay over a delay in his contract talks and glumly spoke of baseball as a business. "I definitely want to finish my career here,'' Rivera told several New York writers, "but if they don't give me the respect I deserve ... I'm not going to stay at my house crying. I have to move on.''

Also on Monday, Rivera's longtime teammate, Posada, yet another great Yankee heading into the final year of his contract, expressed support for Williams without being critical of the team. "I'm a Bernie fan,'' Posada said. "He's done a lot for this organization, and we all know that.'' Posada expressed hope Williams would accept the minor-league invite, but stopped short of criticizing the team for its decision.

Posada didn't discount the possibility that Williams' fate triggered Rivera's remarks concerning his own situation. "Yeah, it could happen with anybody,'' Posada said. "You hope it won't happen to Rivera.''

Yankees people were surprised at Rivera's remarks regarding his own talks on Monday, especially since Rivera, a supremely low-maintenance superstar, has hardly ever uttered a critical or anxious word during his reign as one of the greatest closers of all-time. Yankees decisionmakers view the situations of Williams and Rivera far differently, considering Rivera is still one of the top two or three closers in the game. Their position in the Rivera delay is that they were busy forming their team and that they will not only get to his contract soon, but also expect to get a deal done. The likelihood is that the Yankees grant Rivera the two-year extension he seeks.

However, they don't discount the possibility that Williams' situation has affected Rivera's mood. And it surely has.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 13, 2007 -> 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
there's only a handful of teams that could/will ink this guy.

1. NYY

2. NYM

3. Bos

4. LAD

5. LAA

6. Cubs

7. Poss Tex??

not any specific order.

I can't imagine Cubs letting him walk, Hendry/Tribune will have to pay up.

I hope he goes to the AL, or the Cardinals.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 04:10 AM)
I believe Texas has learned their lesson well and wouldn't be on that list. But then again, I believe every large payroll team will be interested, so toss them back in the mix. The question will be, who's willing to gamble the gonads.

I believe he is correct that no matter what he is likely to do this season, his value will not be much higher and pushing a deal now is in his best interest. The opposite for a guy like Buerhle who has a huge opportunity to increase his value to teams.

I think Jon Daniels has shown though, if he'll pay for a guy it'll be a starting pitcher. And they could unload Teixeira who's a Bora$$ client to help free up the salary to make a play for Carlos Zambrano.

The crazy thing when you look at stuff like this, is a year ago a 5 year $60M deal for Kevin Millwood looked pretty damn stupid. Now it doesn't look so bad when the likes of Lilly and Meche are getting $10-$11M a season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
I think Jon Daniels has shown though, if he'll pay for a guy it'll be a starting pitcher. And they could unload Teixeira who's a Bora$$ client to help free up the salary to make a play for Carlos Zambrano.

The crazy thing when you look at stuff like this, is a year ago a 5 year $60M deal for Kevin Millwood looked pretty damn stupid. Now it doesn't look so bad when the likes of Lilly and Meche are getting $10-$11M a season.

They are dumb for letting go of Adrian Gonzalez so easily. Could of traded Tex for a very good package of players and not missed a beat. There was a reason Gonzalez was a 1st overall draft pick.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 06:46 AM)
Mariano Rivera made a similar threat to the Yankees yesterday, that really caught me by surprise.

There was a rumor yesterday that the Red Sox would really go hard after Rivera if he hit FA, and it makes sens if Pineiro doesn't work out as the closer, Hansen doesn't come on and Papelbon thrives as a starter.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
They are dumb for letting go of Adrian Gonzalez so easily. Could of traded Tex for a very good package of players and not missed a beat. There was a reason Gonzalez was a 1st overall draft pick.

Yeah that trade with the Padres really doesn't look good for Daniels right now.

Eaton is with the Phillies now, Otsuka isn't happy he's not the closer anymore and I forgot who else they got, while Chris Young and Gonzalez were a major reason why the Padres won the division last season.

Guess with Teixeira in front of him, Gonzalez never had much of a future with the Rangers though.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 05:39 AM)
If Zito is worth $18 Mil, Zambrano has to worth $20 mil. Without his domination of the White Sox factored in, Zito stats are not nearly as good. :P

Zito has a Cy Young and more playoff experience. That gives him more leverage in $$$.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 06:49 AM)
Zito has a Cy Young and more playoff experience. That gives him more leverage in $$$.

Zambrano is younger and has better stuff. He is worth ALOT more regardless of playoff experience. Z will have a Cy Young sooner or later for his resume.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 06:49 AM)

While Zito does have playoff experience (not much beyond the divisional series), the fact that Zambrano is winningest pitcher for the lowly Cubs over the last several years counts for something. Were it not for a lack of run support and lack of pitching well in the final weeks of the season, Zambrano may have won the Cy Young last year.