The West Bracket (San Jose)

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
You're kidding, right? big 10 got 6 including all their bubble teams on a down year. Maybe the Big East can feel disrespected for not getting a worthy cuse team in with the unbalanced schedule excuse or a mid-major like the caa for not getting a team with a pretty good resume like drexel in, but I just can't see how you keep saying the big 10 isn't getting enough respect...

The talk I heard all week was that the Big 10 didn't deserve six teams and so far they are 5-1, so I'd say they are proving themselves.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Down year"

Thats exactly what Im talking about.

How is going 5-1 in the the NCAA tournament a "down year".

Just because people think the Big 10 style isnt good doesnt mean when the games are actually played thats how its going to turn out.

I think the Big 10 has shown that this was not a "down year" just that it doesnt get as much respect as the Pac-10 or ACC.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 07:45 PM)
"Down year"

Thats exactly what Im talking about.

How is going 5-1 in the the NCAA tournament a "down year".

Just because people think the Big 10 style isnt good doesnt mean when the games are actually played thats how its going to turn out.

I think the Big 10 has shown that this was not a "down year" just that it doesnt get as much respect as the Pac-10 or ACC.

Well Purdue and Michigan State are going to lose in the 2nd round, Indiana might lose, and Wisky and Ohio State will have not easy games. It's way too early to talk mess yet, the Big 10 DESERVED all 6 bids, but only 2, MAYBE 3 are capable of winning more than 1 game. In other news, Bruce Weber is now a horrible GAME coach too, he lost that thing by himself the last 4 minutes. I'm almost glad this nightmare season is over.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

If MSU, Purdue, Indiana would have been seeded like ND, etc they would have had a much better chance. Just because the 3 teams are facing 2 1's and the top 2 respectively is no disrespect to them.

Wisconsin and OSU shoould both make deep tourney runs and its not out of the world to think 1 of MSU, Purdue, and Indiana will pull an upset.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
If MSU, Purdue, Indiana would have been seeded like ND, etc they would have had a much better chance. Just because the 3 teams are facing 2 1's and the top 2 respectively is no disrespect to them.

Wisconsin and OSU shoould both make deep tourney runs and its not out of the world to think 1 of MSU, Purdue, and Indiana will pull an upset.

Fair enough. I still don't like Wisconsin much, but Butch is almost healthy and their bracket is very good, and I could see Indiana making a run (MSU and Purdue are both toast though).

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)

I just don't see a very good case being made for why msu or purdue would deserved six seeds or higher...other than because the big 10 is unfairly disrespected?

MSU beat Texas, they just did poorly in Big 10 play...

If you went by RPI:

OSU 1, aka 1 over all

Wisconsin 4, aka 1-2 seed

MSU was 25, aka 6-7 seed

Indiana was 28, aka 7-8 seed

Illinois was 30, aka 7-8 seed

Purdue was 44, aka 10-11 seed

Just saying that by the numbers the Big 10 were seeded lower almost down the line.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)
MSU beat Texas, they just did poorly in Big 10 play...

If you went by RPI:

OSU 1, aka 1 over all

Wisconsin 4, aka 1-2 seed

MSU was 25, aka 6-7 seed

Indiana was 28, aka 7-8 seed

Illinois was 30, aka 7-8 seed

Purdue was 44, aka 10-11 seed

Just saying that by the numbers the Big 10 were seeded lower almost down the line.

Not a very good argument. RPI is just one of many factors taken into account. A quick glance at RPI...unlv was 10th and got a 7 seed. kentucky 13th and an 8 seed. Even duke was 15th and many considered a 6 seed too high with their resume

Marquee wins, sos, last 10 played, injuries, etc. are all taken into account also, of course.

And when disregarding the seed numbers, the big 10 teams all got pretty good matchups, even illinois as a 12 seed.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
I dont think RPI is the be all end all, just that you could argue that each big 10 seed could have gotten atleast 1 seed higher for the most part (except for Purdue).

If the Big 10 had the "prestige" of the ACC I think that would have happened.

Bottom line, 5 out of 6 in the first round for 1 conference strongly suggests that the conference was underrated to my eyes.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
I dont think RPI is the be all end all, just that you could argue that each big 10 seed could have gotten atleast 1 seed higher for the most part (except for Purdue).

If the Big 10 had the "prestige" of the ACC I think that would have happened.

Well, ok, I see what you're saying, but I still think the big 10 was shown sufficient amount of respect by getting 6 teams in, including the ones who were clearly on the bubble. The Big East is prestigious yet a 10-7 conference team didn't make it for the first time ever, and mid-majors like missouri state last year and many others throughout the years should probably have bigger gripes than where the big ten teams get seeded. Matchups and locations are probably a bigger factor than seedings usually anyways.

I just think that getting 6 teams from the big 10 in clearly a down year is getting respect more than not getting undeserved higher seedings is a sign of not getting due respect.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
Bottom line, 5 out of 6 in the first round for 1 conference strongly suggests that the conference was underrated to my eyes.

I have to agree. I thought the Illini would get blown off the court by Va Tech (a team that beat both Duke and UNC). Obviously, it turned out to be a pretty even matchup. Even with the loss, the uproar over ILL getting in instead of Syracuse seems pretty silly now. It's probable only 2 Big Ten teams will make the Sweet Sixteen, but I think the conference was clearly underrated. Maybe it's a combination of Big Ten officiating and a bunch of defensive minded half-court coaches that give it the unlovely style, but the teams are decent.

I do have to say, the "motion offense" is one of the most boring offensive sets I've ever seen. It's a modern four corners run against a shot clock where the corners switch positions. No wonder no decent recruits want to go to ILL -- who'd want to play in that scheme...

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 01:05 AM)
I think my view on that game and the entire season can be summed up by:

"................................................"

I actually was surprised by how competitive ILL was. I really thought they'd get blown off the court, and they almost won it. It's hard to believe a team can win 23 games and take a strong ACC team (5 seed to their 12) down to the wire and yet look so bad the entire season. It's too bad -- if they had lost by the same score but in a different way, it wouldn't have generated nearly the media and fan derision this will. You'd think this was like Duke losing to VCU given the fan/media reaction.

I have to wonder if the program and athletic department were run in a classier way, maybe the media would not be as negative as they are....

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Mar 17, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
I actually was surprised by how competitive ILL was. I really thought they'd get blown off the court, and they almost won it. It's hard to believe a team can win 23 games and take a strong ACC team (5 seed to their 12) down to the wire and yet look so bad the entire season. It's too bad -- if they had lost by the same score but in a different way, it wouldn't have generated nearly the media and fan derision this will. You'd think this was like Duke losing to VCU given the fan/media reaction.

I have to wonder if the program and athletic department were run in a classier way, maybe the media would not be as negative as they are....

I'm pretty sure everyones pissed because they had the game and choked. I can't believe Va Tech scored the last 12 points.