Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 01:47 AM)
Still might be the most overrated band... ever, and I do like them.

Good or bad can be debated forever, but their influence on music and culture in that particular era cannot be denied.

Unfortunately, they oversaturated the market and the general public burned out on them. When I first heard Nevermind, I knew they were going to go through the roof, so I made a point of not listening to them any more. Of course I'd hear their stuff at bars and parties, but I'd change the station when they came on the radio and would rarely pop in their Cds. So their music is still pretty fresh to me, I have "In Utero" playing in my car right now, I bought it just last week.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
Good or bad can be debated forever, but their influence on music and culture in that particular era cannot be denied.

Unfortunately, they oversaturated the market and the general public burned out on them. When I first heard Nevermind, I knew they were going to go through the roof, so I made a point of not listening to them any more. Of course I'd hear their stuff at bars and parties, but I'd change the station when they came on the radio and would rarely pop in their Cds. So their music is still pretty fresh to me, I have "In Utero" playing in my car right now, I bought it just last week.

Good post, I think people sometimes confuse the cultural impact they get credit and pub for over people hyping the music (not me, I love their music). So if someone keeps hearing on Nirvana over and over and sit down and listen to their music I can see how they may think it's overrated. Espically younger kids who don't remember what the mainstream music scene was like back then. It was either glam rock (which FWIW there are some great glam rock bands) or really manufactured pop. Nirvana was just a smack in the face. I was about 13 when Nevermind came out and my cousin had got it before it really broke and to this day I still remember hearing it for the first time.

I don't know if this should go in the TV or music thread, but I don't really watch American Idol past the audition phase (hey, Simon still cracks me up atleast 3 times an episode) and I happened to catch a few minutes of the results show yesterday. They have this 16 year old girl on with dyed red hair who sang "Alone" by Heart and OMG was it good. She tore that up

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 01:52 PM)
Good post, I think people sometimes confuse the cultural impact they get credit and pub for over people hyping the music (not me, I love their music). So if someone keeps hearing on Nirvana over and over and sit down and listen to their music I can see how they may think it's overrated. Espically younger kids who don't remember what the mainstream music scene was like back then. It was either glam rock (which FWIW there are some great glam rock bands) or really manufactured pop. Nirvana was just a smack in the face. I was about 13 when Nevermind came out and my cousin had got it before it really broke and to this day I still remember hearing it for the first time.

Younger kids will buy Puddle of Mud and Seether CDs, not hear the lousy attempts to mimic Cobain's vocals and then tell you that Nirvana is overhyped.

Nirvana couldn't win. You have the people you describe on one hand and then the 'hard core indie' crowd on the other. Those people will remind you that Nirvana wasn't original, that they ripped of so and so, that there were other bands out during that time that were better, but didn't sell out, blah, blah blah. The indie 'scene' existed long before Nirvana, but they helped bring it out of the undergound.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 26, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
except there is

Nope. I said there isn't.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 02:36 PM)
What about those of us who just straight up do not like Nirvana?

I guess you don't know anything about music then. Congrats.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 27, 2009 -> 03:06 PM)
Congrats, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Nope.

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Mar 1, 2009 -> 03:21 PM)
Anyone see that Jeff Mangum actually got on stage and performed a few songs with Olivia Tremor Control? Great news.

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/Jeff-Mangum-Performs-Three-Songs

I've given up hope of any sort of tangible tour, I thought the best chance of a show was him doing pitchfork last year. He has been playing at clubs fairly consistently, by my standards for him, for the past couple of years.