Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 12, 2009 -> 08:35 PM)
I have to agree with Reznor. That's a bad record. It would even be a bad Timberlake record.

Bad is an understatement. Even if he follows it up with a solid Cornell record it won't get him any respect back. He'll need to do something ballsy... like join Slayer. :D

Whatever happenned to the rest of Soundgarden?

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)
Bad is an understatement. Even if he follows it up with a solid Cornell record it won't get him any respect back. He'll need to do something ballsy... like join Slayer. :D

Whatever happenned to the rest of Soundgarden?

Here's what happened to them

Its old, but :lolhitting

I'm a big Cornell fan, but my god, the songs I heard over the past couple of months are horrid

So how do you feel about your boys opening for Dave Matthews Band this summer?

I'm seeing them in April in Champaign so I'll get my THS fix for 09. I think it's cool that between DMB and the Counting Crows they're trying to branch out a bit and get new fans.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 13, 2009 -> 01:46 PM)
I'm seeing them in April in Champaign so I'll get my THS fix for 09. I think it's cool that between DMB and the Counting Crows they're trying to branch out a bit and get new fans.

Yeah, but new fans means bigger venues which sucks for old fans.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 12:12 PM)
Yeah, but new fans means bigger venues which sucks for old fans.

Rarely will I go see a band that I like if they are opening for a bigger band. Their time allowed is shorter, the sound usually sux, the house lights are on and people are strolling in finding their seats. Not to mention the price of the ticket will be at least double.

An opening slot is just not the same.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
Rarely will I go see a band that I like if they are opening for a bigger band. Their time allowed is shorter, the sound usually sux, the house lights are on and people are strolling in finding their seats. Not to mention the price of the ticket will be at least double.

Totally agree, but I was mostly talking about the effects of touring with a big band. It sucks from a fan's perspective when you have to go from a club that holds a few hundred to a theater that holds a few thousand because of all the new fans.

Totally agree, but I was mostly talking about the effects of touring with a big band. It sucks from a fan's perspective when you have to go from a club that holds a few hundred to a theater that holds a few thousand because of all the new fans.

It'd be pretty selfish to hope my favorite bands never become successful over reasons like that though.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
It'd be pretty selfish to hope my favorite bands never become successful over reasons like that though.

I don't think you need to worry about millions of DMB fans becoming THS fans. The music and their fan base is different. DMB fans are like a cult, they'll be getting a beer or looking for their seats during THS. It's an odd bill.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 15, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
I don't think you need to worry about millions of DMB fans becoming THS fans. The music and their fan base is different. DMB fans are like a cult, they'll be getting a beer or looking for their seats during THS. It's an odd bill.

I don't understand what you're saying, Dave Matthews Band fans only listen to Dave Matthews? When I saw Tom Petty last summer, people were getting beers and looking for their seats are they some kind of cult too? Is it the same cult? Why do you think the Hold Steady are touring with him if its not to get exposure to new people?

Lots of bands have "cults" for fans.

Metallica fans used to stand with their backs to the opening bands, middle fingers in the air.

Slayer fans would leave en masse after Slayer's set if Slayer was the opening act.

I love watching the opening acts - I have found many great new bands that way, but many people are only there for the band they paid to see. To each their own.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
Eh, Dave Matthews fans are pretty f***ed up. I'd bet a large majority of those people listen to nothing but live dmb tapes.

Dude, I was gonna say that, but figured everyone would jump down my throat for generalizing. Every last one that I've met does exactly that. They have an I pod full of DMB.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
Lots of bands have "cults" for fans.

Metallica fans used to stand with their backs to the opening bands, middle fingers in the air.

Slayer fans would leave en masse after Slayer's set if Slayer was the opening act.

I love watching the opening acts - I have found many great new bands that way, but many people are only there for the band they paid to see. To each their own.

I'll check out the openers too. You're right, I've discovered a lot of cool bands that way.

Who are some cool bands you guys have seen as openers?....... Who are some that went on to make it big?

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 04:30 PM)
Dude, I was gonna say that, but figured everyone would jump down my throat for generalizing. Every last one that I've met does exactly that. They have an I pod full of DMB.

I'm not sure it is generalizing. There are wishy washy matthews fans, for sure, but the one's who go through all the hoops to get to his shows, it's just the oddest music love affair with the guy. There are bands I surely love, and love live, but, it's just not necessary. To me, it comes across as very childish - very "fans of beatles at shea stadium"

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
I'll check out the openers too. You're right, I've discovered a lot of cool bands that way.

Who are some cool bands you guys have seen as openers?....... Who are some that went on to make it big?

I saw Incubus open for 311 in 1997. They were touring off their album S.C.I.E.N.C.E. which, to date, is still their best and most creative effort(imo). But they were NOTHING when they were on that tour and they hit it pretty big

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 14, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)

I've done it a few times, Bad Religion opened for Pearl Jam, Quicksand opened for the Deftones (I actually didn't stay to see the Deftones)

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
I've done it a few times, Bad Religion opened for Pearl Jam, Quicksand opened for the Deftones (I actually didn't stay to see the Deftones)

Bad Religion was around WAY before Pearl Jam

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)

Back in high school I went to see The Used & some little band called My Chemical Romance opened up for them. This was way before the make up and the huge stage show, impressed me so much that I bought their cd from their guitar player after the show. Never thought they would of blown up like they did.