Music Thread

greasywheels121

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
Southern Illinois, Carbondale. Wilco plays in a parking lot here once every 5 years or so, but thats about all we get (except BB King this fall).

I was there for school for 4 years and lived there for another 4 years and I never heard of or saw Wilco play in a parking lot. And I was a little more than connected on the music scene

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)

This was in a parking lot? Or was this a spring thing performance?

edit: This was a Spring Thing performance, not a "they play every 4 years in a parking lot"

This was a SIU sponsored event event

Edited by kyyle23

Well I wasn't here for it, but I heard it was in a parking lot.

Unrelated music news: Arcade Fire are supposedly working on a documentary about the whole Neon Bible experience. I really like the Arcade Fire, so this is pretty much some of the greatest news ever.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Aug 31, 2008 -> 07:40 PM)
Well I wasn't here for it, but I heard it was in a parking lot.

Unrelated music news: Arcade Fire are supposedly working on a documentary about the whole Neon Bible experience. I really like the Arcade Fire, so this is pretty much some of the greatest news ever.

SIU has a free spring concert event every year in the Parking lot south of the Arena, in 2003 Wilco headlined, so yes they were playing in a parking lot.

I just didnt want you thinking that every 5 years Wilco shows up and plays in a parking lot, because you would be waiting for a while.

The only band I ever saw playing in Carbondale with regularity (not counting Jackhead, Mike and Joe, or any of the myriad cover bands that go to Pinch Penny) is the Urge. If you ever get a chance to see them at the Copper, do so

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 30, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Been really into Motion City Soundtrack lately. Catchy s***, and great lyrics.... Saw them at Warped Tour and they sounded amazing. Justin's a funny frontman too...

One of my favorite bands. They have a very unique sound and are just enjoyable as hell to listen to.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
Sorry, haters. Death Magnetic rocks. Live with it. No tinty drums.

It's better than I expected. Here's my take:

Pluses:

Good guitar tones

James doesn't yodel on most songs, and there are little or no effects on his vocals

Guitar solos are back

Minuses:

Songs seem "long for long's sake" and seem kind of pieced together

I hear a lot of "recycled" riffs ("oh, there's Battery.....there's Fade To Black.......there's.....")

The Unforgiven III

Drums now sound like there is newspaper stuffed in the snare

All in all, I'd say it's their 6th-best release behind Kill Em All, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, Garage Days Revisited (NOT "Re-Revisited) and ....And Justice For All, but there's a very wide gap between those 5 and Death Magnetic in my view.

I know it's not fair to them to expect anything as good as their early work, and they put out a decent disc, which I doubted their ability to do anymore.

Edited by The Critic

Popped in At the Drive In today and realized they did a great disservice to themselves and their fans by splitting into Sparta and Mars Volta.I know it was because they hated each other but it still sucks.

ATDI was the perfect median between the two.Sparta is a little too Pop and TMV is way to technical and artistic/weird.But when you combine the both they make a f***ing masterpiece.Iam not saying anything that is news to those that are fans of them but I want them back together man.If Rage could do it maybe they could too.

QUOTE (shipps @ Sep 13, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
Popped in At the Drive In today and realized they did a great disservice to themselves and their fans by splitting into Sparta and Mars Volta.I know it was because they hated each other but it still sucks.

ATDI was the perfect median between the two.Sparta is a little too Pop and TMV is way to technical and artistic/weird.But when you combine the both they make a f***ing masterpiece.Iam not saying anything that is news to those that are fans of them but I want them back together man.If Rage could do it maybe they could too.

"Arcarsenal" is such a rocking song.

Never got into Sparta, but Mars Volta's first album is AMAZING. Every since then it's been a steady decline into wanking for wanks sake territory. When you get to the point where you think you're bigger than the song writing formula. You need to f*** right off.... And that's where they are.

Side note, just got United Nations' album. HOLY S! So freaking crazy. I'm glad to know Geoff from Thursday can still scream, hopefully he does so on the new album. Not that he or Daryl Palumbo are in this band or anything....cause they're not. <_>

I also love the album's alternate cover, which for obvious copyright reasons can't be put in stores:

UnitedNationsSelftitledCover.jpg

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
The Hold Steady and Drive-By Truckers 10/30 in Louisville KY. That's a 3.5 hour roadtrip but man, I'm pumped.

Duke, back in '99 or '00, the Truckers played at Boo Jr's. in Carbondale, if you can believe that. If you haven't been there yet, it is the diviest bar in town. It was awesome!

So I hear there's a fan-created remix of Death Magnetic out there on the Interweb.

If I had heard it, chances are I'd probably say I like that version better because the fat has been trimmed from the songs, tightening them up to a more logical length and flow.

Of course, that's if I had heard it.....

....oh, and Unforgiven III blows at any length, except maybe 0:01.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 15, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
Never got into Sparta, but Mars Volta's first album is AMAZING. Every since then it's been a steady decline into wanking for wanks sake territory. When you get to the point where you think you're bigger than the song writing formula. You need to f*** right off.... And that's where they are.

I forgot about that first TMV album Cali it was also a masterpiece.And it was when they made each song a seperate song,now their whole god damn album is just one big clusterf*** song.

You have to check out Spartas first album "Wiretap Scars" you will enjoy it.