2007 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Kalapse

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jun 1, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)
Holy cow, that was ugly for Detroit. At least we gain another .5 game in the WC race. Cleveland seems to have the division locked up.

If the sox get their s*** together it's going to be a dog fight for the WC... I really hope I can enjoy the run with my team in it.

and it might just be me, but whenever I look at Delluci's picture I have to look twice cause I think it's Mackowiak.

If your a poster who goes by the name of "Flash Tizzle", I warn you about looking at the box score from Kevin Slowey's first major league start.

All I have to say is uggggghhhhhh. Can't 2009 be here already with Johan out the door? If Liriano comes back fully recovered in 2008, I don't think we will score a run off of Minnesota pitching all year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 2, 2007 -> 02:16 AM)
If your a poster who goes by the name of "Flash Tizzle", I warn you about looking at the box score from Kevin Slowey's first major league start.

All I have to say is uggggghhhhhh. Can't 2009 be here already with Johan out the door? If Liriano comes back fully recovered in 2008, I don't think we will score a run off of Minnesota pitching all year.

Who did he start for?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 2, 2007 -> 02:16 AM)

Thankfully we have a collection of pitching prospects readily available to oppose Santana/Liriano/Garza/Slowey/scrub pitcher. And those of Cleveland and Detroit.

Right?

Well, at least Ozzie can now always say "I'm still not Gary Sheffield."

The percentage of African-Americans playing Major League Baseball is at an all-time low and Gary Sheffield says he has a theory why that's the case.

In an interview with GQ magazine that's currently on newsstands, the typically outspoken Tigers designated hitter said Latin players have replaced African-Americans as baseball's most prevalent minority because they are easier to control.

"I called it years ago. What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. … [it's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine.

"Where I'm from, you can't control us. You might get a guy to do it that way for a while because he wants to benefit, but in the end, he is going to go back to being who he is. And that's a person that you're going to talk to with respect, you're going to talk to like a man.

"These are the things my race demands. So, if you're equally good as this Latin player, guess who's going to get sent home? I know a lot of players that are home now can outplay a lot of these guys."

Ozzie Guillen , amongst some others, chimes in on Sheff.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen didn't want to comment directly on Sheffield's remarks, but told The New York Daily News but gave the newspaper his own theory on why there are more Latin players in the game now than African-Americans.

"I guarantee that Latin American people play more baseball than any people, because that's all we have," Guillen told the newspaper. "You have more people playing baseball in Venezuela or the Dominican than anywhere, so there are going to be more players from there."

Guillen also told the newspaper that he believes there are more Latin players in baseball than African-Americans because players from Central and South American and the Caribbean can sign as free agents while American players have to go through the draft.

"It's not that they can control us; maybe when we come to this country, we're hungry," Guillen told the newspaper. "We're trying to survive. Those guys sign for $500,000 or $1 million and they're made. We have a couple of dollars. You can sign one African-American player for the price of 30 Latin players. Look at how many Latin players have won Cy Youngs or MVP awards the last couple of years, how many Latin players have been in the All-Star Game; it's quantity and quality."

QUOTE(Benchwarmerjim @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
former White Sox great Willie Harris was 3-4 for the Braves tonight, but the Twins won. Slowey pitched good again and got his second victory of the year

Minnesota even outperforms us in the area of producing soft tossing pitchers. Pathetic.

Although when Williams obtains the package I'm expecting him to receive from Buehrle, we'll have someone (or a collection of somebodies) envious of the division. Those are the standards I've set and I"m sticking to them. :cheers

The Tigers are straight up mashing the ball this month. A few stats for illustrative purposes...

Magglio is hitting .483 in June.

The Tigers have SEVEN players hitting over .330 in June.

The Tigers AS A TEAM is hitting .333 in June.

Wow.

Edited by JackTalkThai