2007 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Kalapse

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 18, 2007 -> 03:26 PM)
Who is going to play CF next year for the Twins? Am I missing an up-and-coming prospect in their system? They're going to have a helluva time replacing the 120 OPS+ that Hunter has given them the past two seasons...

Aaron Rowand

...and the two hits he has given up were by Sosa.

For all the talk they get, Texas sure has an overrated offense. They got no hit by Buherle, destroyed by Bedard at home, and are now being embarrased by Johan.

SSI sent this to me yesterday. I believe it's interesting, to say the least.

http://boards.espn.go.com/boards/mb/mb?spo...8302&lid=10

I wonder where we rank among other teams and the bonuses given to sign Latin American players. If we're anywhere lower than the Top 10, something is wrong with this organization and its priorities.

Also, relating to the above post, Baseball America has a front page article concerning the signing of international prospects. It's subscriber content. Anyone mind summarizing the amount of money we didn't spend and the players we didn't take?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 09:55 AM)
If I was Santana, I'd have punched Gardenhire in the face if he tried pulling me out of the game like that. YOU NEVER take the ball out of your pitchers hand like that.

He threw 112 pitches, no need to overwork the best starter in the game to try and tie some silly record.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 09:55 AM)
He threw 112 pitches, no need to overwork the best starter in the game to try and tie some silly record.

Overwork? Half the pitches he throws are changeups. And it isn't about the record, it is about getting the complete game, finishing what you've started.

This is almost as bad as the time as Torre took out Wang in the ninth when he had bid for a complete game.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
Overwork? Half the pitches he throws are changeups. And it isn't about the record, it is about getting the complete game, finishing what you've started.

This is almost as bad as the time as Torre took out Wang in the ninth when he had bid for a complete game.

It's not like changeups don't take toll on your body. I have absolutely no problem with what Gardenhire did when you have Joe Nathan there to close out games. It's not like he brought in David Aardsma or something.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 10:09 AM)
It's not like changeups don't take toll on your body. I have absolutely no problem with what Gardenhire did when you have Joe Nathan there to close out games. It's not like he brought in David Aardsma or something.

A good changeup is your arm speed and effort being the same as your fastball. The difference between a fastball and a change is the way you hold the ball. So the effort and strain on the arm is the same.

And the Tigers have lost another starting pitcher to injury.

This time it is Jair Jurrjens, who was the only guy pitching consistantly well, since his call up.

DETROIT -- Jair Jurrjens has been living his dream ever since being called up to the Major Leagues. His dream is now on hold for a couple of weeks, but it doesn't appear to be the nightmare many feared.

Inflammation in Jurrjens' right rotator cuff knocked the 21-year-old Tigers starter out of Sunday's game against the Yankees in the second inning and put him on the 15-day disabled list. Results of an MRI exam, however, suggest no damage that would require surgery.

That part is a relief, especially the way Jurrjens was feeling on Sunday.

"It's like you can see your dream going away," Jurrjens said. "I'm happy that it's not a real big thing."

Though Jurrjens lasted 1 1/3 innings before his exit, he had been feeling the shoulder pain in the days leading into Sunday's start. In fact, it's something he has dealt with for a while. He expected the discomfort to go away once he loosened up and began working. This time, it didn't.

Jurrjens had hoped he could get through it once he retired the side on one hit in the first inning, capped with a strikeout of Alex Rodriguez. His fastball was sitting around 90-91 mph, not the mid-90s version he flashed in his Major League debut on Aug. 15, but still workable. Then he came back out for the second inning and fired a first-pitch fastball.

"The first pitch I threw to [Hideki] Matsui, I turned around to look at the radar," Jurrjens said. "I saw 86 and I was like, 'Oh my, this is going to be bad.' I tried to get through it. We had a big lead, and I didn't want it to go away."

Jurrjens got through Matsui with a strikeout on an 89-mph fastball, but he fell behind on back-to-back offspeed pitches to Jason Giambi. Forced to come over the plate, he fired in a fastball at 87 mph. Giambi deposited it into the right-field seats for his 12th home run of the season.

Catcher Ivan Rodriguez came to the mound for a visit and almost immediately called for manager Jim Leyland and head athletic trainer Kevin Rand. Rodriguez pointed to his right shoulder and signaled that Jurrjens couldn't go on.

Jurrjens has had shoulder problems before, most recently a strain that forced him onto the DL at Double-A Erie near the end of last season. That pain, he explained, was lower in his shoulder, around the lat area. This recent pain, by comparison, is around the back of the shoulder.

Chad Durbin replaced Jurrjens and began a procession of relievers who held onto the lead for a 5-4 Tigers victory. Now, the Tigers have to figure what to do with their rotation. The club has no off-days next week, so Leyland can't skip Jurrjens' spot. Moreover, that spot comes up in the series opener at Oakland on Friday, the day before Major League rosters expand from 25 to anyone on the 40-man roster.

The Tigers had no decision yet as of Sunday afternoon. Their options would be to either move Durbin in from the bullpen, which they did earlier this month when Kenny Rogers went on the DL, or make a move to call up someone from the Minor Leagues. Virgil Vasquez would be on turn after starting for Triple-A Toledo on Sunday, posting seven innings of one-run ball.

The Tigers had passed on recalling Vasquez two weeks ago in favor of Jurrjens, whose back-to-back effective starts against the Indians kept him in the rotation instead of Durbin once Andrew Miller returned from the DL after straining his left hamstring.

Rogers is not yet ready to rejoin the rotation, according to the Tigers. His command on his pitches wasn't yet where it needed to be during his pregame bullpen session on Friday.

Right-hander Zach Miner was recalled from Toledo to fill Jurrjens' roster spot.

Edited by Bonderman38

QUOTE(BearSox @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)

I didn't just read that, did I?

Can reading certain things actually make you dumber? If so...