2007 AL Central Catch-All Thread

Kalapse

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
The Tigers are straight up mashing the ball this month. A few stats for illustrative purposes...

Magglio is hitting .483 in June.

The Tigers have SEVEN players hitting over .330 in June.

The Tigers AS A TEAM is hitting .333 in June.

Wow.

I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you

and I hate because I envy.

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main reason the Tigers made this trade was that Mcbride has options, where Ledezma doesn't. With the Tigers haveing 7 starters soon, they need room for probably Durbin to go to the pen, or Maroth, even though he's more likely to be traded.

First Mesa, now Hernandez.

Indians designated RHP Roberto Hernandez for assignment.

Hernandez, who was given a one-year, $3.5 million contract over the winter, had a 6.23 ERA and 1.88 WHIP in 26 innings for the Indians. He belongs in the National League and he'llprobably head back there now. Maybe the Indians will find someone willing to pick up half his salary. The Mets and Phillies qualify as a couple of possibilities.

$3.5 million!!!

How is it everyone here saw this coming yet the excutive of the year in 2005 didn't.

QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 09:55 PM)
I think the main reason the Tigers made this trade was that Mcbride has options, where Ledezma doesn't. With the Tigers haveing 7 starters soon, they need room for probably Durbin to go to the pen, or Maroth, even though he's more likely to be traded.

Hmm... I'm interested in yours and Jack's opinions here -- are you sort of miffed that Ledezma was relegated to the bullpen while guys like Maroth and Durbin got shots over him? I've always liked what I've seen from Ledezma, although maybe I just catch him on his 'right' days.

I'd like to see how he does in a set role as a starter.

Ledezma had a few opportunities to start in the past, and would do good for 4-5 innings, and then tire out and do horribly the rest of the game. He has potential, as does McBride. I'm thinking maybe a change of scenery is what both of them needed.

Edited by Bonderman38

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 06:14 PM)
Hmm... I'm interested in yours and Jack's opinions here -- are you sort of miffed that Ledezma was relegated to the bullpen while guys like Maroth and Durbin got shots over him? I've always liked what I've seen from Ledezma, although maybe I just catch him on his 'right' days.

I'd like to see how he does in a set role as a starter.

Fredo has definitely pitched well for the Tigers in the past...with "the past" being as recently as last season. You loved him and his potential because that live south-pawed 94-96 mph fastball (when it was on) was a precious commodity to have. When he was locating, he looked like the second coming of Steve Avery in his prime. Overall, he had a great 2006 season for Detroit.

But you wonder if that all was a fluke because he has been consistently inconsistent this year and has been making some horrible decisions out there on the mound. For whatever reason, he absolutely cannot get left-handers out (they're batting like .340 off of him). I definitely agree though that he's probably a better starting pitching prospect than as a reliever (he struggles out of the stretch at times) but I really question if he has the mental makeup to succeed as an every(5th)day starter.

Sure it would've been nice if Detroit had the options left to send him down to Toldeo to work on a few things, cuz he definitely needs some work...but the options were all used up and Dombrowski had no other option but to trade him. In the end I think DD got decent value for him...especially since Detroit was never going to use him as a starter.

Now only if he can unload Maroth for a strong throwing, dependable, long-inning righty to replace Jason Grilli and trade Todd Jones for a used bar of soap. :)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
Braves acquired LHP Wilfredo Ledezma from the Tigers for LHP Macay McBride.

A challenge trade involving two talented and inconsistent left-handed relievers. We give the edge to the Braves here. Ledezma had a 4.79 ERA and a 24/26 K/BB ratio in 35 2/3 innings for the Tigers this season after posting a 3.58 ERA in seven starts and 17 relief appearances last year. He possesses the talent to start, but like McBride, he has definite command issues. The Braves will throw him into middle relief for now and may give him a look as a starter later. If only Leo Mazzone was still around in Atlanta, we'd call Ledezma a major sleeper in NL-only leagues.

This is a great move for the Braves. Ledezma has a good arm and good stuff. He has the ability to be a pretty damn good pitcher in the majors.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 09:36 AM)
This is a great move for the Braves. Ledezma has a good arm and good stuff. He has the ability to be a pretty damn good pitcher in the majors.

And you just have to wonder if Leo Mazzone might suddenly be available...

Twins pitchers struck out the Blue Jays 15 times tonight (Strater Scott Baker with 9)

but it took 12 innings. Twins eventually won 2-1

I was impressed with Scott Marcum. The Blue Jays seem to have a bunch of young pitchers that could have a future in the big leagues

Neifi Perez was suspended on Friday for 25 games for testing positive for a banned stimulant.

This could be a blessing in disguise for the Tigers as Leyland won't be tempted to play Perez any longer. Jul. 6 - 10:56 am et

I gotta admit I feel good for a guy like Fausto Carmona. Went 1-10 with a 5.42 ERA in 2006, was 0 for 3 in saves and blew all 3 of those saves in 6 days, his only win was his very first game in April. But this year, he's rebounded to head into the All Star Break with 10 wins at 10-4 with a 3.85 ERA and one of the best GO/AO's in the league at still only age 23. I know he's on a big rival, but a lot of young players would never be the same after the year Carmona had last year, so to see him rebound and be a guy that looks like he'll win 16 to 18 games is nice.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 11, 2007 -> 04:56 PM)
Yep. I'll take Thome for half the price.

I won't....Hafner is younger and far more likely to stay healthy for the next couple seasons while Thome's production is gonna continue to decrease and decrease (plus he's gonna continue to get more and more banged up).