Terry Hoeppner passed away this morning

That's just awful, prayers for his family :pray I also wanted to pass along a quote from Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, this is one good thing about the Big Ten, the fact that there is a camaraderie between coaches.

“The entire Iowa football family wants to extend our deepest sympathies to the family of Terry Hoeppner on their loss. He was an outstanding football coach and an even better man. His passing is a terrible loss to Indiana University and college football.”

Additional prayers for the players and fans :crying

here's what tressel had to say:

“Coach Hoeppner’s untimely passing earlier today is a loss for the game of football, the Big Ten Conference, Indiana University, his wonderful family and all the young people he touched.

“Coach Hoepp was a difference maker throughout his career. He will be truly missed by his colleagues. Our thoughts are with his family and Indiana University.”

Here's an article that's been refreshing all morning with quotes from coaches and colleagues:

http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl.../061907aad.html

------

This is so surreal. As a few of you know, I've been interning for IU football this summer. It's hard to put into words what I'm feeling right now. Things were rough there today.

It's kind of fitting--it hasn't rained all month here in Bloomington. And today, we've been getting a steady downpour.

They're still holding groundbreaking ceremonies here in a few hours for the football stadium, basketball facility, and baseball/softball fields. It's going to be interesting.

I really hope they rename the renovated end to the stadium after him, because without Hep, none of this would even be possible. With his enthusiasm and optimism, he's completely changed the way IU views football. We were blessed to have Coach Hep, even if it was only for a little over two years. We've definitely lost someone special.

I hopped online this afternoon at lunch (which I rarely ever do) and saw the news. While I have always been partial to Michigan football, I was rooting for Coach Hep to get things turned around at IU. This news really bummed me out today.

While I've never given a s*** about the IU football program and most likely never will, it's a shame that Coach Hep succumbed to cancer. He was so optimistic that it hurt, but one could tell that the man had a passion for football and wanted to bring success to IU more than anything. It's hard to say that he will be missed, because unlike what some people say, the majority of the campus, myself included, just doesn't care about the football program. But sports aside, he will be missed simply as a person, and that's how his death should be viewed. Another tragic, unneccesary victim to a horrible illness.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:26 PM)
Here's an article that's been refreshing all morning with quotes from coaches and colleagues:

http://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl.../061907aad.html

------

This is so surreal. As a few of you know, I've been interning for IU football this summer. It's hard to put into words what I'm feeling right now. Things were rough there today.

It's kind of fitting--it hasn't rained all month here in Bloomington. And today, we've been getting a steady downpour.

They're still holding groundbreaking ceremonies here in a few hours for the football stadium, basketball facility, and baseball/softball fields. It's going to be interesting.

I really hope they rename the renovated end to the stadium after him, because without Hep, none of this would even be possible. With his enthusiasm and optimism, he's completely changed the way IU views football. We were blessed to have Coach Hep, even if it was only for a little over two years. We've definitely lost someone special.

His last game at Miami of Ohio was against ISU, and you could tell that he was someone you could pull for. You knew from talking to me that I hoped he would turn things around, and you could tell he was starting to. Zach, I knew you believed in him and what he was doing. College football will miss Coach Hep.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 05:26 PM)

Randy

Terry

Bo

Ok fine, but it's much different when two were still active head coaches and both just coming into the best parts of their careers. Bo was almost 80 while the others died young.