A call to action for Flaxx. . .

Soxy

Drink more, people, drink more

Last call for historic Guinness brewery?

Brewer may shutter place beer has been made for 250 years as sales drop in Ireland.

Bloomberg News

Published June 18, 2007, 8:51 AM CDT

Diageo PLC, the world's biggest liquor company, may stop making Guinness at a 250-year-old Dublin site after reviewing its brewing operations in Ireland, where sales of the stout are dropping.

The company is "considering a number of important investment decisions on upgrading and renewing its brewing facilities in Ireland in the coming years," according to an e- mailed statement released today. "No decisions have been made or will be made until the assessment is completed," it said.

The St. James' Gate site, near the River Liffey, exports Guinness extract, the "essence" of the drink, to more than 45 countries. The site, where production began in 1759, also makes all Guinness for Ireland and the U.K. since Diageo closed its Park Royal brewery in London in 2005.

The amount of Guinness sold in Europe fell 7 percent in Diageo's fiscal first half as demand waned in Ireland and the U.K. Andrew Morgan, president of the London-based company's European division, said in April that Diageo is reversing cuts in its marketing budget for the region in an effort to boost sales of the dark brew.

The Sunday Independent newspaper yesterday said Diageo may move the brewery in Dublin's St. James' Gate to a new site to the north of the city and sell the existing property for as much as $4 billion. Grainne Mackin, head of corporate communications at Diageo Ireland, called the report "pure speculation."

"All options are going to be looked at, but no outcome has been decided," Mackin said in a telephone interview. "Diageo Ireland is very important to Diageo as a brewing hub."

The 64-acre property, which also houses a seven-story visitor center and bars, has grown 16-fold from the original property Arthur Guinness acquired on a 9,000-year lease. If sold, it would join the Irish Times newspaper headquarters and Dalymount Park football stadium among landmarks that have been bought to feed a decade-long property boom that has seen home prices and office rents in the capital quadruple.

Companies including Jurys Doyle Hotel Group and Readymix Plc have also sold sites in Dublin, while property developer Liam Carroll has bought a 29.5 percent stake in food company Greencore Group Plc, which is planning to develop two sites in the Irish midlands.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
Am I the only one on the planet who does not like Guinness?

I like it as part of an Irish Car Bomb, but I don't like to straight up drink one.

My friends who took some classes in Ireland said they were suprised how much American beer is bought by the locals

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)

There is no accounting for taste. . . or lack thereof. :ph34r:

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:51 PM)
I like it as part of an Irish Car Bomb, but I don't like to straight up drink one.

My friends who took some classes in Ireland said they were surprised how much American beer is bought by the locals

Your friend is right, but it's not just American beer but lagers in general that are killing stout sales in Ireland. It's the same trend that has threatened real ale in Britain and only the efforts of CAMRA (Campaign For Real Ale) have kept the trend from getting even worse. It's mostly the young pub patrons leading the shift away from endemic beer in favor of Bud, Carlings, Stella Artois, etc. It is the result of very successful global marketing of non-indigenous products to people who have some of the best traditional beer in the world at their fingertips and don't appreciate it or their own brewing heritage and culture.

Going to St. James Gate was a quasi-religious experience for me. I will be very saddened if they cease operations there. But for a company like Diago – the largest multinational alcohol company in the world – how do they pass up a $4 BILLION property sale if that is truly what they would get in the obscenely inflated Dublin real estate market?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:19 PM)
Agreed, only as part of an irish car bomb is it a tasty drink (on its on...terrible).

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:31 PM)
My taste buds tend to only like American beers and an occasional Canadian brew. No guinness for me.

See?!? It's you young upstart know-nuthin' drinker wanna-bees that are causing all of the problems to begin with!!

GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU!! (Buncha' panzy-arse swill-drinkin' poofs. . . grumble. . . grumble. . . )

No.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
Aaaarrgghh!!! You're all like Pod People who have replaced all the human beings with taste buds. :crying :crying

Get out of the heat for a while. You're brain is fried. :D

Aaaarrgghh!!! You're all like Pod People who have replaced all the human beings with taste buds. :crying :crying

Don't worry I'm here with you.

There is nothing I enjoy more than the smooth, hearty taste of a pint of Guinness. It is a meal in itself.

The best pint I ever had was in Galway, Ireland. It was at Murphy's bar in High Street. The pour was perfect and the head was so thick we floated a dime on the top. Ahhhh.

I have to say though the Guinness brewery is a disappointment to visit. Oh, you think its Disney for Drunks...but it isn't.

You never tour the actual brewery. Nope, you just go though a museum about the history of Guinness. Then they give you two tickets. Each for a free half-pint. But the bartender at the end of the tour, which is located near the gift-shop (wink-wink), pours the drink so fast they are terrible.

In Chicago, I recommend the Grafton or the Red Lion pubs for the best pour.

:drink

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:49 PM)
No.

Get out of the heat for a while. You're brain is fried. :D

Not helping.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
To me, Guinness tastes like a mixture of beer, coffee, and cigarette ash. I can make that myself...why buy it?

You either.

:crying :crying

We're in the End Days, that's what it is.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
Not helping.

You either.

:crying :crying

We're in the End Days, that's what it is.

If it helps, I have plenty of friends who drink Guinness and ales and such (I do drink various types of ale when I'm out with those friends). So, I'm cool through association.

The stuff is just so damn filling. I drink in order to reach a goal. That goal is to get drunk. I just can't do it with Guinness.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:47 PM)
See?!? It's you young upstart know-nuthin' drinker wanna-bees that are causing all of the problems to begin with!!

GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU!! (Buncha' panzy-arse swill-drinkin' poofs. . . grumble. . . grumble. . . )

I'm a year older than you! My taste buds don't like Guiness, Corona or even alot of the craft beers that are available. Oh well, I have enough of a beer gut as it is, don't need the million calories in a Guiness to add to my bulk.

Edited by Alpha Dog

I of course love Guinness. As does the rest of the Irish that have found there way over here the last 40 or so years. However, my cousins who come over who are say under 25, only want American beers.

I will be going to County Leitrim next spring for a wedding and will try and get to Sligo to a nice pub and get myself a good pint of goodness.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
The stuff is just so damn filling. I drink in order to reach a goal. That goal is to get drunk. I just can't do it with Guinness.

Ya ain't doin it right, lad. :lol:

One of the drunkest nights I ever had was thanks to the dark goodness.

We were in London and at a pub called O'Neill's located off of Bedford. Anyway, it was live Irish music night and our sweetheart of a barmaid kept the Guiness flowing all night. We never had to ask for a refill. She was pouring while dancing too and never let the pint overflow. After a dozen or so pints later we stumbled through Covent Garden and back to the Hotel...singing and dancing. Ah, we felt like Peter O'Toole and Richard Harris after a performance in the glory days of British Theatre. Come to think of it...I think I stepped over Richard Harris on my way out. Nice guy.

:)

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
Ya ain't doin it right, lad. :lol:

One of the drunkest nights I ever had was thanks to the dark goodness.

We were in London and at a pub called O'Neill's located off of Bedford. Anyway, it was live Irish music night and our sweetheart of a barmaid kept the Guiness flowing all night. We never had to ask for a refill. She was pouring while dancing too and never let the pint overflow. After a dozen or so pints later we stumbled through Covent Garden and back to the Hotel...singing and dancing. Ah, we felt like Peter O'Toole and Richard Harris after a performance in the glory days of British Theatre. Come to think of it...I think I stepped over Richard Harris on my way out. Nice guy.

:)

I remember having some lamb, and a pint at the Talk House in Oxfordshire after some work at our office in Oxford. Nice quiet pub, great food, great craic. Nice time all around. I remember being so tired from the work, but the reward of the pub, food, spirits, and talk was enough to keep me going.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
I'm a year older than you! My taste buds don't like Guiness, Corona or even alot of the craft beers that are available. Oh well, I have enough of a beer gut as it is, don't need the million calories in a Guiness to add to my bulk.

actually, guiness has fewer calories than you'd think. about 125, which is less than most non-light beers.

beer link

anyhow, i love guiness and always have. for whatever reason it's a beer that i can drink a ton of, yet not get super faced for be hung over the next day. however, i do usually limit my guinness drinking from halloween until memorial day, because i don't enjoy it as much in warm weather.

for a real kick, try guiness with a shot of captain morgan in it. damn tasty.

I enjoy Guinness, but not to get hammered on--it's too f***ing expensive. But it does go nice with a meal. If I'm getting hammered, I'm buying whiskey or Miller because it's cheap.

That said, I have three Guinness in my fridge and I will drink them tonight.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)

Guinness and Corona in the same sentence? The hell is this?

Edited by BobDylan

I've honestly never had it. Always wanted to try it but I'm not a "Beer Across the World" type guy. Just give me my Rolling Rock.