Ozzie extension rumor

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 02:26 AM)
Exactly. Is it Ozzie's fault that when Erstand and Pods go down we get Terrero and Owens. Is it Ozzie's fault none of the relievers can get anyone out? Is he misuing them or are they just not very good. I'll go with not very good.

Bob

I am puzzled as to why Masset is still on the roster.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
I completely agree with this. i think it would be great if he had a bench coach that managed in the Majors and knows the league. joey cora is his friend. I think Joey wants to manage one day and ozzie is trying to help him get there. just my opinion. Its not a bad thing but having a past manager might bring soem different perspective and keep ozzie managing at the same time. Many coached will get fired this year so there maybe some additional openings. I also think Razor Shines is terrible at 3b Coaching and should exit stage left at the end of the year or moved to first base. With a year like we are having its time for some new ideas and new blood both with coaches and players.

Old as he may be, I wonder what Jack McKeon is doing now a days. I don't recall anything specific about how he managed against the Cubs in the NLCS in '03, but he's been around the block more than a few times, he's been apart of winning teams throughout his tenure as a manager, and, as I recall, was one of Ozzie's biggest influences.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 10:12 PM)
One day people on this board will realize the problem with Frank Thomas was 110 percent a KW thing and had nothing to do with Ozzie. At all.

Somehow I doubt that.

:brickwall

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
Exactly. Is it Ozzie's fault that when Erstand and Pods go down we get Terrero and Owens. Is it Ozzie's fault none of the relievers can get anyone out? Is he misuing them or are they just not very good. I'll go with not very good.

Bob

Just like its not Greg Walker's fault that Dye can't hit this season, or the reason whey Konerko has struggled, or why Uribe swings at everything. Pods was interviewed after the game yesterday and he mentioned intensity and effort not being there. If Jerry Manuel were still managing the White Sox, this quote would have been a thread starter and exibit A as to why he is a terrible manager. Ozzie hasn't done that well managing the team IMO. The other day he made 5000 pitching changes in the 9th inning of a 1 run game and wound up with ARod vs. Bukvich with the bases loaded and Jenks wasn't even used. It isn't his fault the team is so bad, but then again it wasn't because of him the team won the World Series, although he was happy to accept all the credit.

From what I've seen from afar, the culture in the dugout seems too similar to what it was in 2003. This feels like a team in freefall, without a way out and without a way to even feel better despite some talent issues.

Last time I checked clubhouse culture is something that Ozzie would be in charge of.

Ozzie may be an alright manager in some aspects, but his day to day in game handling seems a bit suspect to me. Has since his first day as a MLB manager and that sad, sad loss to the Royals in the 9th inning. A lot of people might blame the talent level on this team. But it seems to me that a good manager, knows how to work with whatever talent level he has to win the games he should win and to get the best out of his staff every day. Unfortunately, I'm just not seeing that here.

Ozzie, it's time to go. KW, you too.

Look at this roster. Filled with bad players and aging players. It's not the manager or general manager's fault. We all knew that they'd have to rebuild at some point and Guillen and Williams deserve the opportunity to head this rebuilding project based on winning a World Championship.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
Just like its not Greg Walker's fault that Dye can't hit this season, or the reason whey Konerko has struggled, or why Uribe swings at everything. Pods was interviewed after the game yesterday and he mentioned intensity and effort not being there. If Jerry Manuel were still managing the White Sox, this quote would have been a thread starter and exibit A as to why he is a terrible manager. Ozzie hasn't done that well managing the team IMO. The other day he made 5000 pitching changes in the 9th inning of a 1 run game and wound up with ARod vs. Bukvich with the bases loaded and Jenks wasn't even used. It isn't his fault the team is so bad, but then again it wasn't because of him the team won the World Series, although he was happy to accept all the credit.

:cheers

Erstad was signed to be the fourth outfielder. It's OZZIE who decided that this low power and low obp ballplayer was the quintessential center fielder that he had been looking for. Cintron is and was a untility infielder. It was Ozzie who decided this hacking punch hitter who can barely break .200 was his #1 pinch hitter. (How can the worst hitter on the team pinch hit for anyone? Ask Oz). And last year it was Ozzie who benched an offensively-improving and defensively stellar Anderson for Mack who was a butcher in the field.

None of these decisions had anything to do with injuries.

As for Konerko and the other slumpers, no it's not the coaches fault; but what have the done to get them out of the slump? It's just like the plate patience thing. You'd think ONE of these hitters would emerge just like you'd think ONE of the many slap hitters coached by Guillen and Walker would show some plate discipline....that is if they coach plate discipline.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
You know what is sadder? The Triple A team looks the same way. We need to build a hungry, pride feeling throughout this organization.

I think any hope of that was gone when they showed Frank the door. This team doesn't stick with their own. Buehrle will be gone and that will be another home grown talent shown the door without even a thank you. It's sad really, but this orginization shows no loyalty to anyone. It's heartless and gutless and it's starting to show throughout the entire orginization.

QUOTE(29thandPoplar @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
Again, no he wasn't. He was signed to compete for the starting job, otherwise he wouldn't have signed here.

It wasn't like he was in high demand; he didn't really outplay Anderson in the spring, has signficantly less power, and doesn't get on base well, but Ozzie absolutely loves him.

What objective evidence do you guys see that Ozzie cares about getting on base and plate disclinpline? To me, the evidence is overwheliming that speed and hacking ability are more important.

Let's take the 2 hole. Iguchi hit .340OBP and double digit homers in 2005. Ozzie immediately starts talking about moving uribe there. He wasn't satisfied with Iguchi. Then this year, he demotes Iguchi for Erstad. Look at today (and yesterday's lineup)....Gonzales hits in the 2 hole.

To Ozzie, bunting is key in the 2 hole...with Thome, Konerko and Dye coming up, the 2 holse hitter needs to bunt.

Look at the coaches - Joey Cora, Razor Shines...come on.

Pitching - Can't let Garland face that reknown hitter Joe Borachard; gotta turn him around....ooops, you mean they can pinch hit for the woeful borchard? Oh well, another L.

Baseball, Ozzie-style. Sure I'm second guessing, but doesn't any responsibilty fall on this coaching staff?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE(Al Lopez @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)

Good news to me. Through the good ('05) and through the bad (This yr), Ozzie Guillen remains consistent in his approach to his players and the game and especially in his press conferences :P

Kenny's the one in the hot seat if anything. Sure, his idea for the bullpen this yr blew up but at least he had one. I expect him to be at the top of his game come this July trading deadline and offseason.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It wasn't like he was in high demand; he didn't really outplay Anderson in the spring, has signficantly less power, and doesn't get on base well, but Ozzie absolutely loves him.

What objective evidence do you guys see that Ozzie cares about getting on base and plate disclinpline? To me, the evidence is overwheliming that speed and hacking ability are more important.

Let's take the 2 hole. Iguchi hit .340OBP and double digit homers in 2005. Ozzie immediately starts talking about moving uribe there. He wasn't satisfied with Iguchi. Then this year, he demotes Iguchi for Erstad. Look at today (and yesterday's lineup)....Gonzales hits in the 2 hole.

To Ozzie, bunting is key in the 2 hole...with Thome, Konerko and Dye coming up, the 2 holse hitter needs to bunt.

Look at the coaches - Joey Cora, Razor Shines...come on.

Pitching - Can't let Garland face that reknown hitter Joe Borachard; gotta turn him around....ooops, you mean they can pinch hit for the woeful borchard? Oh well, another L.

Baseball, Ozzie-style. Sure I'm second guessing, but doesn't any responsibilty fall on this coaching staff?

Here is an idea then, how about stop saying he was signed to be a backup OF when he wasn't?

All the Ozzie bashing aside, at least get the story straight. If something completely incorrect is posted here and it's not true, I will state otherwise.

If you were down in Tucson you'd know why Erstad came away with the job in CF. I know you people love to look at spring training stats to make your argument and say "BA was robbed of the job". Maybe if fanboy BA spent more time being a pro and learned how to hit situationally and worked a little harder, maybe he would have been given a longer rope. Erstad is not that good and is certainly injury prone but Anderson is pouting in the minor leagues while hitting in the .230's and getting hurt himself. Either way, bad scenario.

Here is an idea, why doesn't Kenny Williams go out and either get or develop a legit CF? Chris Young may or not be that great but he and the staff made a big time personnel blunder by annointing "BA" the starting CF. But that is all in the past now, it is up to the front office to fix this nonsense for the future.

Not picking on you green but neither Erstad or Anderson lead this team to a repeat WS win. How about lets get better players. Maybe a start is to trade some guys on this woefully underachieving team and identify top talent on other teams farm systems.