Shopping

Slate Magazine

Spaces

Sports Tech & Gadgets

TV

Weather

White Pages

Yellow Pages

HOME NFL MLB NBA NHL NASCAR NCAA FB NCAA BK SOCCER GOLF TENNIS MORE FANTASY Community Video SHOP

MLB Home · Scores · Schedules · Standings · Stats · Transactions · Injuries · Teams · Players · Odds · Tickets Deserving stars?

With the rosters pretty much set, Dayn Perry breaks down who is an All-Star and who actually should be one. To be the best

...you have to beat the best. Dayn Perry says that when Boston and Detroit meet this week, baseball's best will be on display. Small Papi

So far this season, Big Papi has had no pop. Kevin Hench examines what's gone wrong for the Red Sox slugger.

About Ken Rosenthal

Ken Rosenthal has been the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com since Aug. 2005. He appears weekly on the FSN Baseball Report and MLB on FOX.

MORE BY Ken Rosenthal:

• A's may have a logjam at DH

• What's next with Hargrove, Narron gone?

• Buehrle-ChiSox deal must get done

See all articles >

MOST ROOTED FOR STORIES

A-Rod's wife sports vulgar tank top

Time to put tantrums on time-out

A squad that can hit, run, throw and irritate

There must be something in Roger's water

Baseball's only salvation lies in amnesty

Fed up Cubs trade Barrett to Padres

Yanks, Rangers should get this deal done

Beavers first repeat champs since LSU

We know about Giambi; what about Bud?

Former All-Star closer Rod Beck dies at 38

View all headlines...

• Gamble in Vegas without losing your shirt

• Theme parks welcome summer with new thrills

• How women would like you to buy them a drink

FOX SPORTS STORE

Florida Marlins MLB "Toss" Pillow (18"x18")

Miguel Tejada Photo Mint

View the FOX Sports Store >

Buehrle wants no-trade protection

Ken Rosenthal

FOXSports.com, Updated 42 minutes ago STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog

RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

The staredown continues.

Jeff Berry, the agent for White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle, said Wednesday night that Buehrle will not sign a proposed four-year, $56 million contract with the Sox unless it includes complete no-trade protection.

Berry also said that if Buehrle is traded, the pitcher will decline any offer of a contract extension from the team that acquires him and exercise his right to become a free agent at the end of the season.

"Mark is not going to waver on his desire for a full no-trade clause," Berry told FOXSports.com. "If he can't play where he wants, which is Chicago, then he'll re-evaluate it at the end of the year when he is a free agent."

Asked if Buehrle, a native of St. Charles, Mo., near St. Louis, would apply his position even to the Cardinals, Berry said, "I believe so."

"Anywhere he goes, he'll obviously consider it," Berry said. "But he won't be signing an extension."

Teams interested in Buehrle already expected him to be a rental; the White Sox will not grant a 72-hour negotiating window for a trade partner to sign Buehrle to an extension.

Buerhle's unwillingness to sign an extension after he is traded, however, could decrease the White Sox's leverage in trade discussions.

advertisement

STORY TOOLS:

print

send

blog

RSS LIKE THIS STORY?

The two sides are at an impasse over a 20-month gap in which Buerhle would lack no-trade protection in his new contract.

The White Sox have offered Buehrle a full no-trade clause for 2008, the first year of the deal. Buerhle would gain the right to veto any trade in July 2010 when he becomes a player with 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. Dude just took a big chunk out of Mark's trade value with those comments. The Sox are going to have to yield here and deal with Jon Garland wanting his NTC when it comes up. Because Mark isn't blinking and the Sox really have no other play here.

This will be done soon.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 12:12 AM)
Damn. Dude just took a big chunk out of Mark's trade value with those comments. The Sox are going to have to yield here and deal with Jon Garland wanting his NTC when it comes up. Because Mark isn't blinking and the Sox really have no other play here.

This will be done soon.

How can Buehrle's agent not say Buehrle will negotiate a contract extension for whatever team he's (potentially) traded to? This is apparently him and Buehrle's way of influencing a decision from management: either sign Buehrle under their conditions, or prepare to trade him for a less than ideal package.

We'd almost be better to hold onto him under such conditions.

If Buehrle is signed, I still expect Garland to be traded and I don't care what anyone says regarding their combined importance for the future. The same contract issue will probably be rehashed next season with Garland, and I know personally I'd be willing to trade Garland, accept a generous package, then look forwards the future with a rotation featuring Buehrle, Vazquez, Floyd, Danks, whomever.

Reasonably, how else are we going to build a competitive team from within if not for trading someone with value? Someone may say, "Garland is exactly that type of player to build with," but I regard pitching as our true strength in the system. If trading him allows other positions, such as catcher or SS, to be filled I'll support it.

We're not going to be in contention for a division title in 2008. Likely 2009 as well. It's my opinion that two of Buehlre/Garland/Vazquez/Contreras should be dealt by next season. Contreras, obviously, but aside from that it's between Garland and Vazquez. Many people may prefer Javier, but I don't believe we'll trade him this soon after signing an extension.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 4, 2007 -> 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope, Rosenthal was quoting other baseball executives about the Garcia thing. The thing is, everyone in baseball knows that 4/56 is too good of a deal for the Sox to pass up. However, that doesn't mean it will happen.

It was quite clearly his opinion too, whether you choose to believe it or not. He spoke on radio several times and expanded on his thoughts. Rosenthal has also subsequently stated on radio his thoughts on the Phillies not doing a good job with medical screening regarding Garcia.

He has his opinions, he states them, just like he did here with Buehrle. He uses his sources to back his opinions, it happens with a lot of columnists.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 01:26 AM)
If Buehrle is signed, I still expect Garland to be traded and I don't care what anyone says regarding their combined importance for the future. The same contract issue will probably be rehashed next season with Garland, and I know personally I'd be willing to trade Garland, accept a generous package, then look forwards the future with a rotation featuring Buehrle, Vazquez, Floyd, Danks, whomever.

The Sox talk about the NTC only makes sense if they plan to try and sign Garland as well (who else would be in a situation similar enough to Buehrle that it could matter in negotiations?). Given that it's unlikely they sign Garland anyway, I would think they should just give Buehrle the NTC. If they have to choose between the 2, they fact is that Garland has more trade value if moved now. If the Sox believe the two will perform comparably over the next 4 years, the biggest return would be signing Buehrle and trading Garland.

My prediction is that the Sox do the opposite, and trade Buehrle for a tepid return, try to sign Garland next season and fail and trade him for a limited return as well. The Sox MO with free agents is to "try" so very hard but fail sign to them and then bring a veteran coming off an injury signed cheaply to fill the hole instead...

Edited by hitlesswonder

I know this won't be said, but both sides are playing some hardcore staredown games here. If this deal really doesn't happen, its pretty sad because of how close they really are. That being said, with it this close, I'll bet someone blinks.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
I know this won't be said, but both sides are playing some hardcore staredown games here. If this deal really doesn't happen, its pretty sad because of how close they really are. That being said, with it this close, I'll bet someone blinks.

eh... at this point, if the sox blink, it will be a blink like the jeanie, sending burls somewhere else, from the looks of it

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)

What about this for a compromise? Mark rejects the full 10-5 NTC (I'm pretty sure he can do this under the CBA) in exchange for the Sox giving him a full NTC for the first 2 years and a very strong but not full NTC in the 3rd year (maybe just the Cards, Cubs, and Brewers -- just spitballing). The 4th year is as weak as the CBA allows, but with a good trade kicker. It gives MB excellent protection (in terms of moving his family and being with a team he likes) for 3 out of the 4 years, and compensation if the Sox need to move him for that last year.

Like everyone else, just trying to see how this thing could work. Pay no mind...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 09:20 AM)

I think mostly everyone expects KW and JR will be the ones who'll have to save face here, but I actually think KW will really stick to his guns here on this one.

So really I don't know what's going to happen here. All I know 56/4 for Buehrle in this market, is well a pretty good deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 10:24 PM)
I think mostly everyone expects KW and JR will be the ones who'll have to save face here, but I actually think KW will really stick to his guns here on this one.

So really I don't know what's going to happen here. All I know 56/4 for Buehrle in this market, is well a pretty good deal.

I have an idea where both sides can win. It's time for KW to get creative. Buerhle has given up a lot in salary and # of years.

The Sox give Buehrle the contract they agreed to with a limited NTC of a list of teams today that he won't play for. Odds are they're small market teams that won't trade for him anyway.

The Sox and Buehrle also agree on an escalation in salary in teh contract if Buehrle is traded. Say that his salary automatically increases to $16-17 mill per year + a fifth year is added on the contract. This helps off set Buehrle's home town discount if traded. The reality is if the Sox suck the next couple of years (and that may be the case) and Buehrle is pitching well, teams won't shy away from the contract. Heck, there'd probably be 7-8 teams chasing him in the FA market offering him $17 mill per year for 5 years. Now Buehrle gets compensated to get traded to a contending team taht will have pursued him anyway this off season if the Sox don't re-sign him.

Is this too logical?

Bob

it is quite possibe that burls will demand a no-trade from whatever team he signs with in the off-season, if the sox do not lock him up. he seems the type to want to have his family settled and not be moving around... so no amount of maneuvering on the sox side will help.

i just cant see KW giving in on this, unfortunately.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 11:40 PM)
I have an idea where both sides can win. It's time for KW to get creative. Buerhle has given up a lot in salary and # of years.

The Sox give Buehrle the contract they agreed to with a limited NTC of a list of teams today that he won't play for. Odds are they're small market teams that won't trade for him anyway.

The Sox and Buehrle also agree on an escalation in salary in teh contract if Buehrle is traded. Say that his salary automatically increases to $16-17 mill per year + a fifth year is added on the contract. This helps off set Buehrle's home town discount if traded. The reality is if the Sox suck the next couple of years (and that may be the case) and Buehrle is pitching well, teams won't shy away from the contract. Heck, there'd probably be 7-8 teams chasing him in the FA market offering him $17 mill per year for 5 years. Now Buehrle gets compensated to get traded to a contending team taht will have pursued him anyway this off season if the Sox don't re-sign him.

Is this too logical?

Bob

Buehrle wants to stay in Chicago. That's the reason for the full no trade clause. He will not accept a limited NTC.

If there is any leverage in this deal at all, it's towards Buehrle's side. He's already given up a year and $19 mill in salary for the Sox; he will not give up any more. It's absolutely up to KW right now to either crack and give the full no trade clause, or for him to trade him while receiving less value.

QUOTE(toasty @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 04:51 AM)
it is quite possibe that burls will demand a no-trade from whatever team he signs with in the off-season, if the sox do not lock him up. he seems the type to want to have his family settled and not be moving around... so no amount of maneuvering on the sox side will help.

i just cant see KW giving in on this, unfortunately.

Yep, and the more time passes, the more the Sox fans will have a hard time accepting it if he's traded after being willing to give up so much money to remain with the team. KW should have kept these negotiations quiet....as it's his job that's likely going to be at stake in the long run.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)
Buehrle wants to stay in Chicago. That's the reason for the full no trade clause. He will not accept a limited NTC.

If there is any leverage in this deal at all, it's towards Buehrle's side. He's already given up a year and $19 mill in salary for the Sox; he will not give up any more. It's absolutely up to KW right now to either crack and give the full no trade clause, or for him to trade him while receiving less value.

It's really what makes this situation completely ridiculous. Buehrle is the one making concessions here -- if you assume he could get 5 years for $16 million per year, which is a fair assumption looking at the deals of last offseason, that means 5 years for $80 million total, meaning he loses out on TWENTY-FOUR MILLION DOLLARS in this deal. So all he wants for this sacrifice is to know that he'll be here for the four years of his discount contract.

"But oh no, if we give him the no-trade clause, we'll have to give EVERYBODY one."

Edited by AirScott

The Sox locker room thinks Buehrle is close to signing a 4 yr deal

from today sun-times

Sox players believing the Mark Buehrle contract saga is about to end with the left-hander signing a four-year, $56 million extension -- there's a feeling in the clubhouse that the storm is about to start.

QUOTE(Straycats @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 07:44 AM)

from today sun-times

Sox players believing the Mark Buehrle contract saga is about to end with the left-hander signing a four-year, $56 million extension -- there's a feeling in the clubhouse that the storm is about to start.

The storm where all of them are on new teams?

QUOTE(Straycats @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 07:44 AM)

from today sun-times

Here's the whole article: http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...-ssep06.article

Sox bracing for major shakeups

CALM BEFORE STORM | Williams hints he's ready to start dealing; Buehrle may yet sign extension

July 6, 2007

BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com

Ken Williams didn't want to go on the record with the media Thursday.

As far as the White Sox' general manager is concerned, too much Ken Williams in the newspaper is never a good thing.

But he'd better get used to seeing his name as the July 31 trade deadline approaches, especially after he hinted before Thursday night's series finale with the Baltimore Orioles that roster changes might be made by the start of the second half.

RELATED STORIES

• Plenty of staying power

It's not unlike Williams to want the rest of baseball thinking he is about to do something. But with Gavin Floyd set to make his Sox debut tonight in a doubleheader against the Minnesota Twins -- as well as several Sox players believing the Mark Buehrle contract saga is about to end with the left-hander signing a four-year, $56 million extension -- there's a feeling in the clubhouse that the storm is about to start.

Just don't ask manager Ozzie Guillen, who remained optimistic that the roster is good enough to sway Williams to keep it intact.

''I always talk to Kenny,'' Guillen said. ''To this point right now, there's nothing there, believe me. I think I have the wrong job because some people have to keep stuff quiet, and I can't. There's nothing there yet.

''We're going to continue to play with the guys we have. Maybe in the future, I don't know. But it's nothing like, 'I hope this guy plays good so we can trade him.' No. We've got to play good so we can win some games. That's my thought. I root for everyone on the field because I want to play good. If they play good, we have a chance to win games, and that's all that matters.''

If Buehrle truly is inching closer to signing the extension offer, the Sox likely will look to trade at least Jose Contreras and might dangle Javier Vazquez, too.

Williams was putting out the idea that Floyd's start might not necessarily be a one-and-done outing.

''Everyone should be a rumor,'' Guillen said. ''It's nice when people talk about you being traded because that means somebody's interested in you. They've got to go out there and perform and play the way they know how to play.

''There's one thing about players, coaches, managers: You cannot control that situation. The only thing you can control is how you perform on the field. That's it.''

Right fielder Jermaine Dye is also a strong candidate to be moved, as is second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, despite the Sox being thin in the middle infield.

The bottom line is that when players return from the All-Star break and regroup in Baltimore for the start of an 11-game trip, some teammates might not be there.

''Hopefully, we go on the road trip and play great,'' Guillen said, ''and we show Kenny and [chairman Jerry Reinsdorf] we still have a shot, at least to contend in the pennant race. If not, hey, I don't expect anything less. I expect them to make moves.''

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 6, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)

But wouldn't the extra year + extra money make giving up a NTC bearable. He could just as easily get traded if he signs with another team and that team goes to the crapper.

The only way the Sox would trade Buehrle is if they suck. And I wold thinkg Buehrle wouldn't want to be on a sucky team anyway. Now he gets fairly compensated to get into a better position.

I think the idea is a compromise. If I were the Sox I would give him the full NTC, but I'm not. I won't argue what the Sox are doing is ridiculous. As a fan, I want there to be resolution, preferably with MB in a Sox uniform.

My idea at least prevents MB from signing a cheap contract and then getting traded to a team he doens't like. At least he'll giveu p his hometown discount in a trade and can rule out 10 teams right away.

Bob

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 5, 2007 -> 10:51 PM)
KW should have kept these negotiations quiet....as it's his job that's likely going to be at stake in the long run.

So you're saying that KW was responsible for leaking numbers that make the Sox front office look very bad? That doesn't make any sense. More likely, it was somebody in Mark's camp.

It's amazing what Kenny gets blamed for these days. :oldrolleyes

With numerous media sources basically saying that KW is an idiot if he does not give the no trade close, I think they are looking for a way to let KW save some face. Perhaps a NTC that is not called a No Trade Clause? The organization is being made to look worse to free agents by this saga than it would for having a reputation for low-balling or no giving NTC's.