Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:37 PM)
you really don't think that the Prestige wasn't an outstanding movie? you don't think his character

s

in that movie had any depth? Bruce Wayne doesn't have any depth?

Rescue Dawn and Harsh times were not big budget movies by any means. I don't even think they cracked double digits in box office income.

The Prestige was a good movie. Outstanding is stretching it largely. Bruce Wayne doesn't have depth. The character thinks he has depth and they try to give it to him, but, it's nothing more than popcorn crap that doesn't do anything more than add a few cliches. Ledgers character scratched the surface of depth, but fell short.

Rescue Dawn was an unfortunate movie for Herzog, that's all I'll say. As far as that and the other one you mentioned not being big budget, so what? I'd bet a good dollar that he got paid well to be in those movies, and besides that, what does being in a low budget movie prove anyway?

I want to see him carry a movie, a cast, a bad screenplay, or a bad director before I'm ready to call him a good actor. That, or I want him to play a character that has serious, believeable motivations and flaws, not the Bruce Wayne bulls*** stuff.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. As far as that and the other one you mentioned not being big budget, so what? I'd bet a good dollar that he got paid well to be in those movies, and besides that, what does being in a low budget movie prove anyway?

"He's also become a whore for the big budget blockbuster movie"

Seems to contradict what you said earlier.

he made $38 million for The Dark Knight.

Rescue Dawn had a budget of $10 million, the machinist had a budget of $5 million, and Harsh Times had a budget of $2 million. Harsh Times didn't have too good of a screenplay but he managed to make the movie watchable.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 09:02 PM)
"He's also become a whore for the big budget blockbuster movie"

Seems to contradict what you said earlier.

he made $38 million for The Dark Knight.

Rescue Dawn had a budget of $10 million, the machinist had a budget of $5 million, and Harsh Times had a budget of $2 million. Harsh Times didn't have too good of a screenplay but he managed to make the movie watchable.

Again, what's your point?

My point is that he's building a habit of choosing slam dunk movies that don't require much good acting to get attention.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 10:35 PM)
What are anyone's general opinion of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow?

Like it, dislike it, haven't seen it?

I liked it, but it's not great cinema. The fact that it was done entirely with bluescreen and desktop editing technology, and the fact that it's a nice homage to the Flash Gordon serial genre make it enjoyable, but if you don't appreciate those aspects of the film I doubt you'll enjoy it much.

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 09:35 PM)
Again, what's your point?

My point is that he's building a habit of choosing slam dunk movies that don't require much good acting to get attention.

Seems like it would be hard for you to enjoy many movies. Only a few movies are made a year that fit the criteria you want. An actor can't be in everyone of them, except Penn, Hoffman, DDL. If you'd watch more movies, you'd see he's at least a good actor. So much s*** is out there full of s*** actors...Bale isn't one of them.

It's all a matter of opinion anyway...you are part of the small minority on Bale.

Edited by onedude

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
The Prestige was a good movie. Outstanding is stretching it largely. Bruce Wayne doesn't have depth. The character thinks he has depth and they try to give it to him, but, it's nothing more than popcorn crap that doesn't do anything more than add a few cliches. Ledgers character scratched the surface of depth, but fell short.

Rescue Dawn was an unfortunate movie for Herzog, that's all I'll say. As far as that and the other one you mentioned not being big budget, so what? I'd bet a good dollar that he got paid well to be in those movies, and besides that, what does being in a low budget movie prove anyway?

I want to see him carry a movie, a cast, a bad screenplay, or a bad director before I'm ready to call him a good actor. That, or I want him to play a character that has serious, believeable motivations and flaws, not the Bruce Wayne bulls*** stuff.

He f***ing carried American Psycho 10 years ago, what more do you want?

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)

I find it hard to believe that you've never thought Christian Bale was good in anything, because he's that good in a lot of movies. I find it hard to believe that you don't like anything that finds its way to the main stream. Ten years ago I bet his independent amazing performance in American Psycho had you rolling over yet intrigued at the same time.

Now that he's mainstream though, watch out. Big bag Bob Dylan of Soxtalk thinks he's a SELL OUT, no good actor!!! OH NOES!!!

However, you seem to get off on being Mr. Different. Ok, enjoy it. Enjoy being the guy who loves nothing yet everything everyone doesn't know about.

Edited by admin for personal attacks.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
To be honest, I think you're uneducated. And I think you get off on being the guy who doesn't like anything that anyone else likes.

I find it hard to believe that you've never thought Christian Bale was good in anything, because he's that good in a lot of movies. I find it hard to believe that you don't like anything that finds its way to the main stream. Ten years ago I bet his independent amazing performance in American Psycho had you rolling over yet intrigued at the same time.

Now that he's mainstream though, watch out. Big bag Bob Dylan of Soxtalk thinks he's a SELL OUT, no good actor!!! OH NOES!!!

However, you seem to get off on being Mr. Different. Ok, enjoy it. Enjoy being the guy who loves nothing yet everything everyone doesn't know about.

When you're done playing that game, join the rest of us who have a f***ing life.

Hey, cool.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
To be honest, I think you're uneducated. And I think you get off on being the guy who doesn't like anything that anyone else likes.

When you're done playing that game, join the rest of us who have a f***ing life.

Ratchet it down there a bit, Hoss. Disagree with the man's opinion, fine. But, don't get so close to personal insults. Just a friendly word of caution.

QUOTE (onedude @ Feb 5, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
Seems like it would be hard for you to enjoy many movies. Only a few movies are made a year that fit the criteria you want. An actor can't be in everyone of them, except Penn, Hoffman, DDL. If you'd watch more movies, you'd see he's at least a good actor. So much s*** is out there full of s*** actors...Bale isn't one of them.

It's all a matter of opinion anyway...you are part of the small minority on Bale.

Of course it's a matter of opinion. I don't find that he's a bad actor, just not a good one. And I'll take movies for their intended value, as well. Not every movie tries to be 8 1/2, I understand that. But I'm entitled to rip a movie as much as you're entitled to praise it, right? Now, if I posted about all the movies I do like, I'd probably be known by Steve as the guy who likes everything and has no critical thoughts. I choose to talk about the movies I don't like because I have more fun doing it and it usually creates more discussion then a bunch of people who agree. But alas, I'm uneducated so please disregard anything I say from here on out.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE (BobDylan @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 01:13 AM)
Of course it's a matter of opinion. I don't find that he's a bad actor, just not a good one. And I'll take movies for their intended value, as well. Not every movie tries to be 8 1/2, I understand that. But I'm entitled to rip a movie as much as you're entitled to praise it, right? Now, if I posted about all the movies I do like, I'd probably be known by Steve as the guy who likes everything and has no critical thoughts. I choose to talk about the movies I don't like because I have more fun doing it and it usually creates more discussion then a bunch of people who agree. But alas, I'm uneducated so please disregard anything I say from here on out.

C'mon gentlemen. Stop trying to push each others buttons and let it go.

I want to very publicly apologize for my very public, unsolicited attack on BobDylan last night. I drank too much and, well, there you have it. Thanks mods for editing out the bad stuff.

I do believe BobDylan (the person on this board) to be quite well educated, and in fact, think his opinions are interesting... though many times I disagree.

My humble apologies, and I'll avoid clicking the Soxtalk link when that bombed again.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 07:51 AM)
I can't believe so many people disliked 3:10 to Yuma. I thought it was one of the better westerns made in the last decade or two. Not that there have been a ton of them made in that period, but, there are some.

Agreed completely that it was good. It was no Tombstone or Unforgiven, but as far as westerns in the last decade, yeah.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 07:52 AM)
Agreed completely that it was good. It was no Tombstone or Unforgiven, but as far as westerns in the last decade, yeah.

Unforgiven was indeed an excellent western.

Tombstone, I enjoyed a lot, but I think its not enough to be "great". In fact, its really two films. They changed directors while making it, and it shows. The first half to two thirds was good, not really classic in style but very well done. Good character stuff, great fun too. Then about two thirds in, it becomes a modern-age action flick set with older costumes, and that takes something away from it. Not sure which director was which, but, the whole ride of the avengers aspect got pretty ridiculous. Still a fun movie, but, not as good as Unforgiven, or 3:10 to Yuma, or even Silverado.

There are also a few movies out in recent years that aren't westerns per se, but are very akin, and very good. The Missing, for example, was a good film. Seraphim Falls was decent.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 07:47 AM)
I want to very publicly apologize for my very public, unsolicited attack on BobDylan last night. I drank too much and, well, there you have it. Thanks mods for editing out the bad stuff.

I do believe BobDylan (the person on this board) to be quite well educated, and in fact, think his opinions are interesting... though many times I disagree.

My humble apologies, and I'll avoid clicking the Soxtalk link when that bombed again.

thats not necessary, thats why we have the "i am drunk" thread :D

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 6, 2009 -> 02:31 PM)
Speaking of great films, who's looking forward to the new Pink Panther flick?

*vomits in own mouth*

I seriously don't understand why Steve Martin continues to re-up for these dogs. Give me good old-fashioned Man With Two Brains or The Jerk.