Films Thread

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (Kid Gleason @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 01:47 PM)
Joe Palma, the "fake Shemp".

Great guess, and I made sure to say "official" Stooge to disqualify Palma's body double stint as "fake Shemp" after Shemp died. The 7th official Stooge was asked by Moe to be a Stooge several years later to replace Larry after he died.

Here he is:

whostoge.jpg

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
Damn. I'm still debating if I should give it a chance or not.

If you're a fan of the series, no reason not too. The storyline is kind of dumbed-down in comparison to some of the others, but I think it ends up working for the better, and it still has the surprise ending that the series is known for.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
Great guess, and I made sure to say "official" Stooge to disqualify Palma's body double stint as "fake Shemp" after Shemp died. The 7th official Stooge was asked by Moe to be a Stooge several years later to replace Larry after he died.

Here he is:

Damn.

Stooge-nerd.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 25, 2009 -> 07:52 PM)
LOL, thats not what she just said after we watched the trailer. She just told me "I know that book, its about the kid who imagines things".

Thats funny that you say that though, because the film was redone after a test screening went bad and kids started screaming and stuff.

On principal, I absolutely hate the idea of a Where the Wild Things Are film, but Sendak is involved (Producer) so I guess I have to respect his decision to take the property in this direction.

The guy who did some of the anamatronics for Hellboy II is doing animatronics in this one, so visually it will probably be enngaging. But that is such a sacred children's book I'm hesitant about screwing around with it too much.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 07:25 PM)
On principal, I absolutely hate the idea of a Where the Wild Things Are film, but Sendak is involved (Producer) so I guess I have to respect his decision to take the property in this direction.

The guy who did some of the anamatronics for Hellboy II is doing animatronics in this one, so visually it will probably be enngaging. But that is such a sacred children's book I'm hesitant about screwing around with it too much.

I don't know. I respect the imagination of spike jonze so much that the thought of him being able to work with the greatest children's book of all time thrills me. Even though he may not deliver, we shouldn't hold ourselves back from ambitious projects like that. I think there are few directors who could've done WTWTA:

Spike Jonze

Michael Gondry

Charlie Kauffman

Guillermo Del Toro

Tim burton

But Gondry cannot reel himself in, Kauffman is too inexperienced, Del Toro and Burton too dark. Jonze is the only one whose creative mind has been able to think clearly and push boundaries without watering down his work.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 03:09 PM)
I don't know. I respect the imagination of spike jonze so much that the thought of him being able to work with the greatest children's book of all time thrills me. Even though he may not deliver, we shouldn't hold ourselves back from ambitious projects like that. I think there are few directors who could've done WTWTA:

Spike Jonze

Michael Gondry

Charlie Kauffman

Guillermo Del Toro

Tim burton

But Gondry cannot reel himself in, Kauffman is too inexperienced, Del Toro and Burton too dark. Jonze is the only one whose creative mind has been able to think clearly and push boundaries without watering down his work.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
I will go ahead and add that Rob Reiner could make a fun WTWTA movie, but no where near the scope visually that the other directors could take it.

Terry Gilliam doesn't make the cut, huh? I think visually he'd do a better job than most of the folks on your list. I think his animation style back even to Beware of Elephants days is actually pretty evocative of Sendak. And I think the monster he put together for Jabberwocky was sort of a scarier Muppets-on-acid version of the sorts of things he could do on a Wild Things. Best not to distract the man though I guess, or he'll never get around to finishing Good Omens.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 12:42 PM)
Quite right. Joe Besser was quite an established and respected solo comic act before his short Stooge stint, but his wimpy persona ("Not so haaard!") and refusal to take the brunt of most physical slapstick kept him from ever meshing well at all with Moe and Larry.

Besser also was known by kids of my generation addicted to Saturday morning Hanna-Barbara cartoon fare as the voice of Babu the Genie in the cartoon adaptation of I dream of Genie. More of the useless trivia clogging my brain.

It's hard to say anything nice about Curly Joe.

Trivia Time: There was actually a 7th official Stooge in the Three Stooges roster. Name him. (Mega cool points if anybody can do it without using teh Google).

I wish i was on here the second you posted that question.

My father has 8 brothers and sisters, he was the oldest boy and third oldest overall, he is turning 64 in august. My uncle jimmy (59, second oldest of the boys) had whooping cough at the age of 2 and the doctors botched his treatment which resulted in a form of retardation. The saddest part about it is my grandmother claimed he was the easiest and quickest to speak, potty train, walk, etc. To this day he holds a job because he refuses to be considered handicapped in anyway. His escape has always been music and most importantly the three stooges.

I cannot recall a time in my life going over to see him and he not having a three stooge short on. He had the entire collection before the 190 short collections were even a possibility due to some of the stooge shorts being banned. First they were all recorded, then for presents he recieved several full collections on vhs, and now of course several full dvd collections, along with ultra rare home videos of the stooges. His stooge collection is absolutely massive, i would easily say it is one of the top ten biggest collections in the world, like i said they are his escape. I have seen pretty much every stooge collections on the internet and they are a spit in the ocean in comparison.

I have borrowed his collections many times while growing up, usually watching them front to back, for days straight, and they just never get old. They were just so damn consistent it was uncanny. What i mean by this is people who have seen these shorts even more than myself can still spot something they had never seen 75 years later.

''Hold hands, you lovebirds''. ( Emil Sitka) That is a quote that will stand the test of time for me for, because in a weird way, it's like larry and moe were love birds, one died, and the other (moe) shortly followed. There was no purpose anymore.

Shemp, while he had a very successful solo career was in no way, shape, or form on the level of curly. I do like shemp also, i mean who can disagree with alex trebek (his favorite stooge). Everything came easy to him, he truly had fun, while it looked like he wasn't even trying. I cannot that say that just about anyway, up until this modern era.

Since you brought up shemp and besser, i figured i should mention i just watched ''hold that ghost'' and ''africa screams'' both starring bud abbott and lou costello. In ''hold that ghost'' shemp plays the ''soda jerk'', he only has one scene, though it is pretty memorable. In ''africa screams'' both besser and have shemp decent size roles (besser's was larger) not too mention the baer brothers.

Curly howard did two cameos, one was in ''hold that lion''... what was the other? He is not credited anywhere for this role.

Malice in the palace would not be the answer, in case you thought it might be due to him being on the lobby card (which i own a copy of).

Edited by qwerty

Wow Qwerty, I'm impressed by your knowledge base on all that Stooge history, by your uncle's passion and collection, and by your continued devotion to the old comedy shorts. I still definitely love them as well.

''Hold hands, you lovebirds''. Classic! That's actually inscribed on Emil Sitka's tombstone. And the story is that short was one that slipped into the public domain and was shown on TV so much that's why ''Hold hands, you lovebirds'' became the catchphase he was best known for. Sitka, of course, was the official 7th Stooge. He was asked to join the team in 1974, and then Moe died in 1975 before they filmed anything together.

Seeing Shemp and Besser together onscreen is neat, and I'm sure it was tough for Besser to replace his good friend in the Stooges lineup.

The Curly cameos question is a good one, and I think I know the answer. I think they actually recycled the Hold That Lion footage and used it in one of the later shorts - not sure which one. Budget cuts had forced them to reuse a lot of older stock shots by the mid 50s, and i know that's how they handled the "Fake Shemp" Palma stuff - reusing Shemp footage as much as they can and finishing it off with new shots of the back of Palma's head and such.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 03:20 PM)
Wow Qwerty, I'm impressed by your knowledge base on all that Stooge history, by your uncle's passion and collection, and by your continued devotion to the old comedy shorts. I still definitely love them as well.

''Hold hands, you lovebirds''. Classic! That's actually inscribed on Emil Sitka's tombstone. And the story is that short was one that slipped into the public domain and was shown on TV so much that's why ''Hold hands, you lovebirds'' became the catchphase he was best known for. Sitka, of course, was the official 7th Stooge. He was asked to join the team in 1974, and then Moe died in 1975 before they filmed anything together.

Seeing Shemp and Besser together onscreen is neat, and I'm sure it was tough for Besser to replace his good friend in the Stooges lineup.

The Curly cameos question is a good one, and I think I know the answer. I think they actually recycled the Hold That Lion footage and used it in one of the later shorts - not sure which one. Budget cuts had forced them to reuse a lot of older stock shots by the mid 50s, and i know that's how they handled the "Fake Shemp" Palma stuff - reusing Shemp footage as much as they can and finishing it off with new shots of the back of Palma's head and such.

You are correct that they recycled the second half of ''hold that lion!'' which and made ''booty and the beast'' with it. But that is not what i was looking for.

Curly would visit the set whenever he felt well enough to make it, one day it just so happened he was on one of his ''up'' days when he walked onto to the set in 1950 of spooks! 3-d.

In spooks 3-d (released 1953) the stooges encounter a bat that looks like shemp, the bat gives off a ''woowoowoowoowoo''. Some think it was shemp who voiced it, but moe confirmed the contrary in his autobiography. Curly did indeed voiced it right then and there, they did not use a stock woowoowoowoowoo. Was kinda a trick question since it was a voice over cameo... but it is a cameo nonetheless.

Now every time i see that short i look out for that bat, as it is the very last piece of curly to ever make the screen.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Mar 26, 2009 -> 05:20 PM)
You are correct that they recycled the second half of ''hold that lion!'' which and made ''booty and the beast'' with it. But that is not what i was looking for.

Curly would visit the set whenever he felt well enough to make it, one day it just so happened he was on one of his ''up'' days when he walked onto to the set in 1950 of spooks! 3-d.

In spooks 3-d (released 1953) the stooges encounter a bat that looks like shemp, the bat gives off a ''woowoowoowoowoo''. Some think it was shemp who voiced it, but moe confirmed the contrary in his autobiography. Curly did indeed voiced it right then and there, they did not use a stock woowoowoowoowoo. Was kinda a trick question since it was a voice over cameo... but it is a cameo nonetheless.

Now every time i see that short i look out for that bat, as it is the very last piece of curly to ever make the screen.

Ha! That's great. I know that short and have it on a buried VHS tape somewhere, but I had never heard that story. Cool.

Saw The Haunting In Connecticut tonight and I must say, a big waste of time. The two part documentary on the ID channel was way way better. Even though the movie says "Based on a true story", the only true part is at the end when

They say the boy suddenly was cured of his cancer

Almost 98% of that movie does not follow the true story. Hell, a lot of it wasn't believable and they forgot to add a family member.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 27, 2009 -> 09:09 PM)
I saw Monsters vs Aliens in Imax 3D today, it was awesome. The movie, and the 3D nature of the film.

Going this afternoon after the kids are done with softball and football. Really looking forward to it.

From the trailers, it looks like the most Pixar-like of Dreamworks films yet. I had to do a doubletake when I first saw the ad during the Super Bowl because it looked like Pixar was releasing two films this season.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 08:48 AM)
Going this afternoon after the kids are done with softball and football. Really looking forward to it.

From the trailers, it looks like the most Pixar-like of Dreamworks films yet. I had to do a doubletake when I first saw the ad during the Super Bowl because it looked like Pixar was releasing two films this season.

Are you going to see it in Imax 3D? I hadnt seen a 3D movie since I saw Captain Eo in disneyworld when i was a kid, I forgot how fun it is. People were "Oooing" and "Ahing" the entire time

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
Are you going to see it in Imax 3D? I hadnt seen a 3D movie since I saw Captain Eo in disneyworld when i was a kid, I forgot how fun it is. People were "Oooing" and "Ahing" the entire time

Digital 3D, but no Imax sadly. The last couple of years there have been some excellent digital 3D releases, including Chicken Little, Coroline, and even the 3D remaster of Nightmare Before Christmas. Definitely worth a few extra bucks to see it in 3D.

There's only a handful of theaters set up for digital 3D in Florida and somehow we managed to get two of them very close to us.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 01:36 AM)
Monsters versus Aliens was surprisingly very, very good.

Why is it surprising? Disney is usually pretty good at delivering quality theater movies. It is their second generation DVD stuff that is straight up crap

Anyone here ever had an evening where they flip back and forth between a couple movies on the TV, depending on the commercials? The other night, I was flipping between 40 Year Old Virgin and Red Dragon. Hadn't thought about how weird that pairing was until about the 4th flip, then it became entertaining to just flip back and forth at random moments.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 08:27 AM)
Anyone here ever had an evening where they flip back and forth between a couple movies on the TV, depending on the commercials? The other night, I was flipping between 40 Year Old Virgin and Red Dragon. Hadn't thought about how weird that pairing was until about the 4th flip, then it became entertaining to just flip back and forth at random moments.

LOL, yes. Last night I was watching "Monster Fish of the Mekong River" and "Jumper" at the same time.

Not so strangely enough, Giant River Stingrays and Catfish come across as better actors than Hayden Christiansen.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 08:03 AM)
Why is it surprising? Disney is usually pretty good at delivering quality theater movies. It is their second generation DVD stuff that is straight up crap

Monsters vs Aliens is from Dreamworks.