Official College Football Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 11:08 PM)
whats the lesson?

Improve the BCS format I suppose. None of these games have been close and I dont expect these next two games KU vs Tech or LSU vs Ohio St to be close either.

Eventually somethings gotta give where they come up with a playoff format but people have been asking for that for years now and it still hasnt happened.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
The USC front 7 is as good as I've EVER seen at the college level, but their secondary was atrocious. Taylor Mays is really just an OLB playing safety, and the rest of their rotation was very mediocre. Receivers were open all night, Illinois should have thrown the ball way more, although admittedly it's hard to because their front 7 gets to the QB so fast. I'd say they have 5 future NFL pro bowlers in their front 7, just ridiculous. And you just can't see me on Joe McKnight being this scary Reggie Bush type with what Vontae did to him, and he was held on check other than the fluke lateral play. The biggest problem yesterday was the Illinois LB's and safties are just too slow to cover a team with lots of fast personnel like USC, which is why I appreciate guys like J Leman and Mitchell and Harrison and Sanders and Steele et al, but they'll be replaced by guys with much better speed and that's a good sign. Basically, the Illinois offense wasn't out of it's league (it's offensive coordinator just was in the 1st half), but the Illinois defense was WAY out of it's league.

21-10 game - Illini fumble inside the 10yd line going in for a score. USC goes down the field, and on a pass into the endzone, Illinois is called for interference putting the ball on the 2yd line. USC scores the next play. Am I the only one who thinks that Illinois was screwed on the interference call? The USC receiver was slanting accross the middle, and the Illini DB was coming forward. The Illini DB made contact, but he was going for the ball, and ultimately it was intercepted by Illinois. Doesn't a DB have as much right to the ball if it's in the air, and he's making a play on the ball? I'm an Illinois fan, so maybe I'm biased, but I really think that play was the beginning of the end. Ultimately, I think Illinois loses, but it would have been a different game entirely.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Doesn't a DB have as much right to the ball if it's in the air, and he's making a play on the ball?

That's my understanding of the rule. Both players have an equal right to the ball. And as long as the the DB is making a play towards it, which he was, then they shouldn't call pass interference.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
Is the BCS obligated to take the Big Ten runnerup? I don't know for sure.

Either way, Missouri deserved to be in the BCS over at least three teams.

No, but the BCS can only accept two teams from any conference, so Mizzou lost out to KU. Like it or not, the rule has stood for awhile. Wisconsin, ranked #5 last year didn't get in. Whether it is fair or not, it is what it is, so Mizzou was only eligible in the place of Kansas, not in addition to.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
The closeness of BCS games has nothing to do with determining the national champion, or really, the 1v2 game.

Exactly. People too often forget or don't know that the sole purpose of creating the BCS was to provide #1 against #2. The rest of the BCS matchups are determined by a combination or rules they created out of "fairness", old bowl tie-ins and money. The bowls themselves actually choose from eligible at large teams to match up with the automatic conference tie-ins.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 11:15 PM)
Improve the BCS format I suppose. None of these games have been close and I dont expect these next two games KU vs Tech or LSU vs Ohio St to be close either.

Eventually somethings gotta give where they come up with a playoff format but people have been asking for that for years now and it still hasnt happened.

They should have never added the fifth BCS game. If it was still the old system both Hawaii and Illinois would have been left out. The bowls would have looked more like this.

Sugar-LSU vs. Ohio St.

Rose-USC vs. Georgia

Fiesta-W. Virginia vs. OU

Orange-KU vs. Va. Tech

So the only bowl that would change would be the rose, but I still like the old system better. IMO adding a game just waters down the BCS.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 10:29 PM)
is he bringing his staff with??

Much of it, yes.

OC, DC (most likely, not yet definite), CB/Recruiting Coordinator, S and one other, I think. Might be off one or two, but I think he is bringing 5 or 6 plus his S&C Coordinator.

It sucked to see Wisconsin lose, but at the same time I was sitting in the front row of the Wisconsin end zone student section for half the game and got to see (and even meet) some of the parents of the players from Wisconsin.

It was a hard game to lose because I think at the end of the day the coach did a disservice to the players.

Vols won, I think it could have gone the other way, but thats life I congratulate them and apologize to the unfortunate ones who had to sit next Wisconsin fans. I dont think they realize that while the chants may appear to be mean spirited, they are just more for fun. Some of the most famous are chanted from 1 student section to another, so its actually Wisconsin fans swearing at other Wisconsin fans. At a bowl game where there is another conference that is not used to it, I think it comes off as way more abrasive.

Also I hope that they realize that during the game its nothing personal, but we are bitter enemies with any team we face so we arent exactly offering quarter. Now if it was a Big 10 team things would be slightly different because those are much more intense battles.

For a second I thought that PJ Hill wasnt going to be run down, and I really had to question the SEC speed.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
I used to think Stoops was one of the best coaches in the nation. Oops. That onside kick call, among other things, was ATROCIUS.

I think he cost them the game with that call.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
The closeness of BCS games has nothing to do with determining the national champion, or really, the 1v2 game.

Yeah, but it does show how awful the BCS bowls are at picking teams.

This is the second straight year Oklahoma cost me a legit shot at winning the bowl pool I'm in AND made me look like a complete retard, so f*** you Bob Stoops!! Seriously, you get back to back BCS trips AND get to face a non BCS school and then a team coming off their most crushing loss in school history AND just lost their coach, and you lose both games? When you combine that with that 40 point loss they had to USC in the title game a few years ago as well, Bob Stoops is starting to look like a horrific bowl game coach. I'm done with picking OU in the postseason. Now you would THINK tonight's game will finally be our first competitive BCS game, but who the hell knows anymore.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 2, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
I used to think Stoops was one of the best coaches in the nation. Oops. That onside kick call, among other things, was ATROCIUS.

The call to kick it and the kick itself were a joke. did it go 7 yards?

I think Stoops is still a good coach. They will have a top tier team next year.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
The call to kick it and the kick itself were a joke. did it go 7 yards?

I think Stoops is still a good coach. They will have a top tier team next year.

Good coach? Sure. I said one of the best in the game...and I can't think that anymore.

Like 101 said, look at his recent history in bowl games...sheesh.

I still can't believe how bad they got waxed yesterday (and slaton didn't even play!)

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 09:49 PM)
Forgot the Orange Bowl was on. Why do they wait so long for the title game Monday?

Because it is played in the same city/stadium as one of the games the week before. Need time for all the fans, media, etc. of the first game to vacate all the hotels so the ones for the Championship can come in. Basically makes it two separate events for the host city.