Official College Football Thread

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:32 PM)
Lol, the Heismann has nothing to do with who is better than who. You don't think there's politicking involved? Hell Mike Hart continued to get pub for it even when he was sitting out games and two or three other big ten running backs had better numbers.

And you play the schedule you're given. I don't doubt that if Hawaii played in the SEC or other major conference they wouldn't have gone 12-0. But so what? The fact is he lead his team to a great season. But more importantly, he holds tons and tons of PASSING records for qb's in all of college football. What I heard from Jones was: Brennan is a QB, Tebow is an option QB. Brennan can make all the throws, Tebow is an option QB.

Tebow will probably win the Heismann, he had a great year. But how many Heismann winners succeed on sundays? More importantly, how many option qb's succeed on sunday? For some reason the NFL keeps trying, *cough "#10 best player of all time" cough*, yet they never do well. Go ask Eric Couch how the NFL treated him. Lets see, QB, WR, kick returner, towel boy. I see the same thing for Tebow.

I don't care what the Heisman is about, I know what it should be about. And when Tebow wins it this year, which he should, it will have nothing to do with politics.

I don't care what schedule you play, watch games, look at scores, and tell me that Hawaii is a better team than Florida. You were the one who brought up 3 losses. Hawaii played a s*** schedule and barely won many of those games against s*** teams. If you are seriously looking at 3 losses to 0 losses, you need help.

You also need to check your hearing, as Jones clearly said that Tebow is a system QB and Brennan is not (while Brennan is good, he plays in a 'system' if I've ever seen one outside TTech). When Rece gave him a chance to get out of it, he didn't and trashed him compared to Brennan, said he couldn't make all the throws, etc. Also, Tebow is nowhere near an 'option QB.' He is a hell of a passer that can run the ball like a RB. His passing efficiency numbers are outrageous and he plays in the SEC against real defenses. Comparing him to Eric Crouch proves your ignorance.

And again, how anyone will do on Sundays (or how anyone not named Tebow has done on Sundays) is completely irrelevant to college football or this topic.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
I don't care how they portray into the NFL, and your accuracy on that statement is questionable. The Heisman, or who is a better player than whom, has NOTHING to do with the nfl or draft status.

And Tebow is easily the best player in the nation and is having one of the best qb seasons in the history of college football.

And three losses? Brennan played me and 10 friends on defense week to week and barely won many of them. They play Florida's schedule and they have more than 3 losses.

If the Heisman vote is even close the voters should be ashamed of themselves.

Jones sounded like a complete moron.

I think Tebow has had the best season, with McFadden possibly being the best football player (in the sense he's a bit more complete and projects better while still being a great college player at the same time). I'd give the vote to Tebow as statistically he's done somethings no QB has ever done and he's done it while playing elite competition.

I would have had no problem going with Brennan if it weren't for him being injured for a couple games and his numbers suffering during that span. Tebow just had a ridiculous year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
I think Tebow has had the best season, with McFadden possibly being the best football player (in the sense he's a bit more complete and projects better while still being a great college player at the same time). I'd give the vote to Tebow as statistically he's done somethings no QB has ever done and he's done it while playing elite competition.

I would have had no problem going with Brennan if it weren't for him being injured for a couple games and his numbers suffering during that span. Tebow just had a ridiculous year.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/705298.html

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
since it hasn't been said yet this page...missouri got jobbed.

If Missouri got Jobbed then so did Georgia..

If it was going to be such a problem that a team played for the National Title without winning their conference much less their division they shouldn't have been ranked 4th. It just seemed like after Missouri and West Virginia lost the voters said "Oh s***" and made sure that LSU ended up in front of them in the polls.

How many chances is LSU going to get this year? They went 5-2 over their final 7 games both losses coming to unranked teams and they never fell further than 7th in that time frame.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)
I don't care what the Heisman is about, I know what it should be about. And when Tebow wins it this year, which he should, it will have nothing to do with politics.

I don't care what schedule you play, watch games, look at scores, and tell me that Hawaii is a better team than Florida. You were the one who brought up 3 losses. Hawaii played a s*** schedule and barely won many of those games against s*** teams. If you are seriously looking at 3 losses to 0 losses, you need help.

You also need to check your hearing, as Jones clearly said that Tebow is a system QB and Brennan is not (while Brennan is good, he plays in a 'system' if I've ever seen one outside TTech). When Rece gave him a chance to get out of it, he didn't and trashed him compared to Brennan, said he couldn't make all the throws, etc. Also, Tebow is nowhere near an 'option QB.' He is a hell of a passer that can run the ball like a RB. His passing efficiency numbers are outrageous and he plays in the SEC against real defenses. Comparing him to Eric Crouch proves your ignorance.

And again, how anyone will do on Sundays (or how anyone not named Tebow has done on Sundays) is completely irrelevant to college football or this topic.

I never said he shouldn't win it. He's put up great numbers this year in a system that features him...a lot.

I brought up three losses because in those three games Florida was down and needed scores. When forced to throw Tebow isn't nearly as good. That was the point Jones was making and thats the point I agree with. I have watched a handful of Florida games this year and when he plays against GOOD teams (not teams like Troy, Florida Atlantic, Western Kentucky, Vanderbilt- oh boy, real tough) and when he's forced to pass he doesn't make all the throws. Yeah, sure Brennan plays cupcakes and doesn't ever play the greatest of competition. But he plays in a system where he's forced to pass the ball, not option it. Moreover, which team is full of 5* recruits? Which team has all-americans on it? Exactly. Any comparison to schedules need to be relative to the amount of talent surrounding them.

And Crouch was a stud back in the day, hence why he's a Heismann Trophy winner. But I like how you skipped over other comparisons to Vick or Young. Option qb's suck ass in the NFL. How can you say Tebow is not an option QB? They run nothing but option plays - hence why he has sick rushing numbers.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
I never said he shouldn't win it. He's put up great numbers this year in a system that features him...a lot.

I brought up three losses because in those three games Florida was down and needed scores. When forced to throw Tebow isn't nearly as good. That was the point Jones was making and thats the point I agree with. I have watched a handful of Florida games this year and when he plays against GOOD teams (not teams like Troy, Florida Atlantic, Western Kentucky, Vanderbilt- oh boy, real tough) and when he's forced to pass he doesn't make all the throws. Yeah, sure Brennan plays cupcakes and doesn't ever play the greatest of competition. But he plays in a system where he's forced to pass the ball, not option it. Moreover, which team is full of 5* recruits? Which team has all-americans on it? Exactly. Any comparison to schedules need to be relative to the amount of talent surrounding them.

And Crouch was a stud back in the day, hence why he's a Heismann Trophy winner. But I like how you skipped over other comparisons to Vick or Young. Option qb's suck ass in the NFL. How can you say Tebow is not an option QB? They run nothing but option plays - hence why he has sick rushing numbers.

Brennan's system doesn't feature him...a lot?

Tebow was forced to throw against actual defenses in the SEC and still had a great year. So they came up short in 3 games. Oh well. You name teams on Florida's schedule, do you really want me to break out Hawaii's schedule? I wouldn't bring up the easy teams Florida played (BTW, Vandy could beat almost everyone on Hawaii's schedule). Hawaii played a cupcake schedule through and through and Florida played an SEC schedule. It's extremely relevant.

Oh and you are still on your NFL kick. I didn't skip Young or Vick. I told you it's irrelevant, which it is. Crouch won the Heisman, for good reason, and I could care less if he never played a down in the NFL or went on to win 10 Super Bowls. Neither situation is relevant to the Heisman trophy.

Also, Tebow isn't an option quarterback like Crouch was. The guy can throw the ball 10X better than Crouch ever could in college. 2nd in passing efficiency means you must be able to throw the ball.

Jones basically said Tebow is good because of the system he plays in (not only false, but ironic) and that he can't make nearly as many throws as Brennan, both of which are inaccurate statements. Go ahead on ESPN and say nice things about Brennan, but Jones made Tebow sound like a complete fluke, when in reality he's having one of the best statistical seasons in college football history. Very ignorant.

Edited by IlliniKrush

1) Missouri beat Kansas on a neutral field in November.

2) Missouri had the 26th rated strength of schedule(out of 119 teams) and Kansas had the 109th rated schedule.

3) Missouri is HIGHER ranked in the BCS

4) Missouri is rated higher in both the AP and Coaches Poll

5) Missouri has beaten three teams in the AP top 26 (two of which are BCS bowl teams,) Kansas has beaten 0.

6) Missouri has played five games against AP top 26 teams, Kansas has played 1 and lost that game.

7) In five games against common opponents (Iowa St., Kansas St., Colorado, Texas A&M and Nebraska,) Missouri has outscored the opponents by 125, while Kansas has only outscored the common opponents by 94.

8) Every major expert on Fox's bowl show and ESPN's bowl show agreed that Missouri got jobbed and Kansas did not deserve their BCS bowl bid.

Kansas clearly does not deserve to go over Mizzou.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)

2) Missouri had the 26th rated strength of schedule(out of 119 teams) and Kansas had the 109th rated schedule.

5) Missouri has beaten three teams in the AP top 26 (two of which are BCS bowl teams,) Kansas has beaten 0.

6) Missouri has played five games against AP top 26 teams, Kansas has played 1 and lost that game.

7) In five games against common opponents (Iowa St., Kansas St., Colorado, Texas A&M and Nebraska,) Missouri has outscored the opponents by 125, while Kansas has only outscored the common opponents by 94.

8) Every major expert on Fox's bowl show and ESPN's bowl show agreed that Missouri got jobbed and Kansas did not deserve their BCS bowl bid.

Team that lose in conference championship, dont get in...you had your chance and lost twice to OU.

now suck it slaver.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:19 PM)

After all that, what does it say that Orange Bowl officials could have taken either and took Kansas? It's not the "BCS" that made the decision it is the Orange Bowl. Outside of the conference champions and the NC game, the bowls have a right to pick whichever team they want from the eligible teams.

Either someone thought Kansas deserved it, or they felt Kansas would sell more tickets. Either way, I have no problem with it because the system did not fail Missouri. The bowls have always chosen teams and they are not necessarily taken in order of merit. C'est la vie

I obviously don't like Mizzou, but you'd have to be a moron to think Mizzou didn't get screwed in regards to Kansas.

Jimbo, they lost in the conference championship, Kansas didn't have the opportunity to lose because they didn't get into it. Kansas is a fine team this year, but there is no good argument to have Kansas in over Mizzou (and using number of losses is ignorant).

The mizzou/illinois game next year should be fantastic and have ridiculous hype (maybe a college gameday appearance), though it will be tough to top the excitement of this year's game.

I like what Herbstreit said the other day...either all conferences have Championship Games or none of them. If there aren't two divisions, then the top two teams play. I hate to use the word 'fair' but it isn't fair. Mizzou definitely got jobbed. Illinois probably shouldn't be in the BCS games, but the Rose Bowl has always been Big10/Pac10 and they are the Grandaddy of them all...so, I can't use that as an excuse. Also, the Cotton Bowl has the Big 12 runner-up tie-in, so, send an email to the Big 12 commissioner...that's all you can do..

But I agree, Mizzou got jobbed.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
I like what Herbstreit said the other day...either all conferences have Championship Games or none of them. If there aren't two divisions, then the top two teams play. I hate to use the word 'fair' but it isn't fair. Mizzou definitely got jobbed. Illinois probably shouldn't be in the BCS games, but the Rose Bowl has always been Big10/Pac10 and they are the Grandaddy of them all...so, I can't use that as an excuse. Also, the Cotton Bowl has the Big 12 runner-up tie-in, so, send an email to the Big 12 commissioner...that's all you can do..

This is the biggest problem with the 'system' right now.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)

if you were not watching the Big 12 championship, the Big 12 commish all but said Kansas would get in over Muck FIzzou if they lost.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:22 PM)
by the way since the beginning of the big 12, mizzou has still never a won a single conference championship in any sport.

That's for men's sports, they have a softball title like a decade ago lol.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
The mizzou/illinois game next year should be fantastic and have ridiculous hype (maybe a college gameday appearance), though it will be tough to top the excitement of this year's game.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 2, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
The best team I saw this year was LSU. The are the only "unbeaten in regulation" team this season. :ph34r: I think putting them in the title game was within the realm of right, but I understand the pissed off fans.

The best team I saw this year was Oregon with Dixon. Without him...not so much.

The best part of Illinois in the Rose Bowl is they avoid Georgia, Oklahoma, and Florida, who are all better teams than USC is by far, and certainly worse matchups for Illinois. It's a very good matchup for Illinois, as their weakness (defense) will be offset by the bewilderingly poor offense of USC, and the USC strength of defense will be put to the test against the Illini offense. Should be a great game, and WOW Missouri got screwed, poor guys. It's a shame Hawaii and Kansas made the BCS by avoiding playing anybody, but hey this system does suck, so it happens.

As for the best teams....I have thought all year Oklahoma was the best team I've seen and I stand by it. Georgia is getting close though since they started playing Moreno, I still think Florida is better than LSU, and Ohio State would struggle to make my top 10 of best teams I've seen. Ohio State has a shot against LSU though, this year is the worst to not have a playoff since the 2 teams playing for the title are nowhere near the best 2 teams IMO. The problem for Ohio State is Dorsey is going to be healthy for the game, and he can by himself ruin the inside running game, and Beanie won't be able to get outside on their defense.

Edited by whitesoxfan101