Welcome to last place...

Wanne

Yea, but this team is really close and expects to compete next year. /sarcasm

This entire organization is in shambles. As bad as it was this year, Javy, Jenks and Buehrle have been amazing this year. Garland, most often, has been very good. Even with 3 starting pitchers pitching lights out most of the year, this team is still one of the 5 worst in baseball. We haven't won over 4 games in a row all season no matter who was playing/healthy. Our top average hitter is (Of all people) Darrin Erstad. Minnesota and Detroit have faced injuries but manage to avoid last place.

This team is loaded with marginal baseball players with a few aging stars sprinkled in. Kenny may try to patch it together with a couple of support players or maybe he'll go out and sign yet another aging 'superstar', but I see no chance the White Sox get back to the top next year. And I don't know if I want to watch pretty much this same plodding team next year.

I'm kinda over it because we've been bad for so long at this point. But the amazing thing to me is how far we fell from 2005, so fast. With most of the core team intact.

I've been used to at least being in second until we inevitably slide in August or September but... dead last? Wow.

You wonder how we ever pulled it off in the first place, as crappy as we've been since last July.

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 06:14 AM)
I think a lot of people here are happy about it. Not me. I don't really give a s*** about a top ten draft pick.

At this point if you are going to suck, at least get a superstar out of it. The last time we sucked like this we picked up Ventura, McDowell and Big Frank. That seemed to work out for us. Those were top ten picks.

I watched the historical loss last night on WGN. Tired of hearing Hawk carry on about how our hitter "just missed it," or how the young player is going to be a real bnig league star as he gives up 9 hits and some walks in 6 innings or strikes out and a young reliever comes in to blow it again. Puzzling year because we have so much talent.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
At this point if you are going to suck, at least get a superstar out of it. The last time we sucked like this we picked up Ventura, McDowell and Big Frank. That seemed to work out for us. Those were top ten picks.

I hate the losing ways of the 2007 campaign and can't help but want them to win every time they play, but you make a good point in those three.

QUOTE(max power @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 05:14 AM)
I think a lot of people here are happy about it. Not me. I don't really give a s*** about a top ten draft pick.

I don't think any one is "happy" about it. But, if the Sox are going to suck then they might as well REALLY suck and get a really good high pick. Who would be happy with a 80 win season? Or a 77 win season?

I still follow the team and hate every loss and love every win, but with each loss I still think....hmmmm, closer to a really good pick, which will be much better for the Sox (and us) in the long haul.

And , while this is embarrassing to be so bad, trust me it's been way worse and more embarrassing.

:gosox4:

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 07:57 AM)
Yea, but this team is really close and expects to compete next year. /sarcasm

This entire organization is in shambles. As bad as it was this year, Javy, Jenks and Buehrle have been amazing this year. Garland, most often, has been very good. Even with 3 starting pitchers pitching lights out most of the year, this team is still one of the 5 worst in baseball. We haven't won over 4 games in a row all season no matter who was playing/healthy. Our top average hitter is (Of all people) Darrin Erstad. Minnesota and Detroit have faced injuries but manage to avoid last place.

This team is loaded with marginal baseball players with a few aging stars sprinkled in. Kenny may try to patch it together with a couple of support players or maybe he'll go out and sign yet another aging 'superstar', but I see no chance the White Sox get back to the top next year. And I don't know if I want to watch pretty much this same plodding team next year.

I get the impression people still don't realize how many factors will have to come together next season just for us to compete. Yes, "compete" -- a completely subjective term. For us to realisticaly contend for a championship, which is ultimately the goal of baseball, we'll need the stars to align. As with any team looking ahead to October, two of the three divisions of a team need to be stellar: starting rotation, bullpen, offense. I could forsee our rotation possibly coming together, but what's discouraing is even with a decent rotation (such as this season) we're still in last place. You put it together nicely -- this White Sox ballclub isn't talented. It's a collection of marginal talent in a division with more talented teams.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 07:58 AM)

It took several years of us sucking to get those picks.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
I also could care less about draft picks.

Look who the Royals signed this year. Is there any guarantee a high school kid is going to hit in the bigs???

No way.

No but there's a damn good chance that 2 years from now David Price will have great trade value.

This team is pretty darn bad.

This begs the question. What's the worst team in "modern" Sox history?

Please name the team and give me names of some players on that team.

I wonder if at this point of the season this team could beat that team.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 11:00 PM)
This team is pretty darn bad.

This begs the question. What's the worst team in "modern" Sox history?

Please name the team and give me names of some players on that team.

I wonder if at this point of the season this team could beat that team.

Depends on your definition of "modern" history...

The 1932 Sox were 49-102

The 1948 Sox were 51-101

The 1970 Sox were 56-106

The 1976 team was 64-97 which was probably the worst most recent team...

That team was:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1976.shtml