Spring philosophy to shift

29andPoplar

Article on the White Sox site, Guillen stating he wants starting pitchers to pitch in spring games vs. B games to get them more ready for April.

I can vouch for what he says about scouts at the B games and the back fields ... sometimes a couple dozen are in attendance.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?y...sp&c_id=cws

Here is an idea, lets put the starters thru more innings in the preseason to replicate the burnout felt in 2006. Also have Hall play 1B again, and any new player play out of position to acclimate them to their current position. Lastly, have Anderson tear it up in the preseason only to be beat out by Julio Franco/Ricky Henderson/Rafael Palmiero for the starting Centerfielder job.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
Here is an idea, lets put the starters thru more innings in the preseason to replicate the burnout felt in 2006. Also have Hall play 1B again, and any new player play out of position to acclimate them to their current position. Lastly, have Anderson tear it up in the preseason only to be beat out by Julio Franco/Ricky Henderson/Rafael Palmiero for the starting Centerfielder job.

Then sign 38 year old loogy's who cant get lefties out.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
Then sign 38 year old loogy's who cant get lefties out.

No, you have it all wrong...

Thats a late waiver wire move/August move after you're already sweeping the cellar in your division.

We're talking spring training!

Alright, the team's going bad. No need to gang rape Ozzie just because he is trying something out in the next ST for crying out loud. It's like any announcement needs immediate disapproval from this site. Relax, it's a strategy - no big deal.

Thank you. Geez, I'm sorry I posted the article but hopefully those who had a sarcasm build up feel better now.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)

the burnout was from the playoffs and the WBC, not spring training. I agree with the rest(lol franco, palmeiro and Henderson), but i dont see the harm in making sure your pitchers are ready for the upcoming season by making them work in ST.

I think one necessity is making sure Contreras has a slump buster if he is still on the team. Something to get his mind off of his divorce. ;)

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 19, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
Article on the White Sox site, Guillen stating he wants starting pitchers to pitch in spring games vs. B games to get them more ready for April.

I can vouch for what he says about scouts at the B games and the back fields ... sometimes a couple dozen are in attendance.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?y...sp&c_id=cws

Hawk has always praised Ozzie for finding a ton of playing time for minor leaguers in spring training games. I wonder if he will praise him now for making his frontline pitchers travel.

Hawk has always praised Ozzie for finding a ton of playing time for minor leaguers in spring training games. I wonder if he will praise him now for making his frontline pitchers travel.

Who knows.

Personally it means very little to me what Hawk praises. The between-the-lines criticisms are far more insightful.

If I didn't know any better, I would think that some of the comments in the Tribune article basically made it seem like they don't think Danks was the right person to pick for the starting rotation. As much as I'm critical of his potential, there was nothing for him to prove in the minors this year.

I just didn't know the starting pitching was the problem. Before I comment anymore, I will read the article. But I think many of the comments are due to the fact that most of the starting pitching has been fine. Our problem are those dang wood things you swing at the ball. Or so I thought. But what do I really know?

Huh, wouldn't the same go for the hitting? I know you want to get "at bats", but isn't there a BIG difference between having somebody hit off of a major league ready pitcher and hit off of a AA guy? So doesn't it make sense to just keep all of your starters out of the B game level?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)
Huh, wouldn't the same go for the hitting? I know you want to get "at bats", but isn't there a BIG difference between having somebody hit off of a major league ready pitcher and hit off of a AA guy? So doesn't it make sense to just keep all of your starters out of the B game level?

The whole thing just sounds of doing something different just to do something different. Contreras was the only guy in the rotation until Garland blew up that you could say underperformed this season, and he was outstanding in the spring.

These statements by Guillen kind of go along with what he said a few months ago. He said he wants to play more regulars in spring training. The general idea was the team might gel quicker and get off to a better start.

Basically my feeling is they plan to run a tougher camp in some ways.

Anyone else find it funny that the Sox seem to be the only organization that treats B games like real games therefore our hitters have not faced major league pithcers and our pitchers have not faced major league hitters prior to the start of the season.

I know this not the case all of the time but it seemed to happen quite often where Jim Thome gets 94 at-bats in a B game off guys making injury rehab starts as oppossed to facing Brandon Webb.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Aug 20, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)
These statements by Guillen kind of go along with what he said a few months ago. He said he wants to play more regulars in spring training. The general idea was the team might gel quicker and get off to a better start.

Basically my feeling is they plan to run a tougher camp in some ways.

Good.

And don't be sorry about posting that stuff. Some of us are actually curious about the future (those of us who haven't already divined a 100-loss season in 2008).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 21, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
Good.

And don't be sorry about posting that stuff. Some of us are actually curious about the future (those of us who haven't already divined a 100-loss season in 2008).

Yeah, the negative people on this site aren't curious about the future.

I'm enjoying the sarcasm, actually, because between this and KW's "We're almost there!" (Wannestadtian!) proclamations, I really don't want to hear it. Talk, talk, talk.

What I want to see is DOING. On the field. We have sucked ass since July 2006 and I've heard pretty much every excuse you can imagine.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Aug 21, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
I am very much interested in the future, in b****ing and in praising, thank you very much.

I think we all are. There are some, however, that have resumed to the normal "we are going to suckage no matter what" mentality, and IMO those people should wait until when teams report next spring to decide that. If major moves are not made, then we have our answer, and we get to have another year of hell in the Palehose section of soxtalk.

I think we all are. There are some, however, that have resumed to the normal "we are going to suckage no matter what" mentality, and IMO those people should wait until when teams report next spring to decide that.

And those people will read your post and not understand it's them you're talking about. Ain't that always the way.