What's with AJ?

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AJ caught Mark Buehrle's no-hitter. AJ caught Booby Jenks during his record tying run. AJ caught many of Javy Vazquez' solid starts. But does any of that matter?

I suppose it's AJ's fault that MacDougal couldn't throw a strike for an extended stretch this season. And I guess it's AJ's fault that Sisco, and Aardsma suck. Really this whole idea that somehow AJ is negatively effecting the team is ridiculous.

I'm sure most posters here are nice people but one of my pet peeves about internet message boards is how people can post just about anything and others can take off and run with it thus slandering the reputaton of someone without any merit whatsoever. Again, no offense to anyone here, but some people imply that they have "inside" information and post innuendo without actually saying anything specific with the idea of creating an impression about someone that may not even be true. If anyone has concrete specific evidence that there is a problem why not just come out and say it? Of course, I doubt that anyone close enough to the White Sox clubhouse to have any real insight into what's going on would waste their time posting rumor and innuendo on an internet message board.

Finally, I wish someone would post this topic over at WSI so I can use the "This Thread Sucks" tag. ;)

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

One more thing about AJ. The man plays the most demanding position on the field, catcher. He plays day in and day out without asking for a rest. In fact the only time he seems to complain about anything is when he is given a rest. I can see why the guy might be a little upset at the way the team has been playing.

Also, I doubt if anyone has contributed more to the 56 or so Sox victories this year than AJ.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 24, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
If you want to talk about people not doing their job, has anyone stolen more money the last two years than Don Cooper?

Joe Crede? Waited for the season to start then had surgery. Scott podsednik? can't stay on the field. Jose Contreras? total bum.

Dick Allen knows what he's talking about.

A.J. does a great job handling the pitchers. He's been very positive with them during games as they're embarrassing themselves on the mound. The pitchers are lucky A.J. hasn't layed into them. And he does a very good job at calling pitches, and calls for the pitchers to throw all their pitches. He doesn't let them fall into a rut. Folks, he can't do anything about hanging curveballs and fastballs over the middle of the plate.

That said, A.J. doesn't hustle to first base. Unfortunately, I feel I have to look the other way considering he has to catch almost every game because Toby Hall is so bad. If A.J. received more rest, then I'd definitely have a problem with him. But if he wants to conserve energy when he's catching six days a week, that's fine with me.

I don't really have an opinion on A.J.'s game calling one way or the other, though I generally believe that the importance of game calling by catchers is overrated.

My one thought is that people erroneously consider the staff's struggles in '06 and '07 and not its success in '05 to be the fluke. Buerhle's pretty much been the one consistently good pitcher this team has had (except for the second half of last season). Freddy is gone and Jose is a shell of his former self. Big Jon is perhaps my favorite ChiSox player but his peripherals have always been lacking and it seems to have caught up with him again. Javy is probably exceeding (or finally meeting) expectations and if he falls off again next season, people will be calling for his head.

This team needs to be carried by starting pitching to be a contender and I doubt that this team will be able to do that again.

Originally posted: August 27, 2007

Dugout disagreement

By Mark Gonzales, 12:04 p.m.

White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski and batting coach Greg Walker were involved in a verbal disagreement in the dugout Sunday that manager Ozzie Guillen said was Pierzynski's fault.

"A.J. has to admit he was wrong," said Guillen, explaining later that Pierzynski expressed surprise to Walker that Boston reliever Manny Delcarmen had a cut fastball. "I don't have anything against A.J. I like him. I love him. He's one of my players. I love this kid. He shows up every day, but he's got to admit he's wrong."

Walker took exception to Pierzynski's surprise, Guillen said, because the Sox had faced Delcarmen in the past and were aware of his cut fastball.

Bench coach Joey Cora had stepped between Pierzynski and Walker.

Walker downplayed the incident, saying, "It was A.J. being A.J., and Walk being Walk."

Pierzynski also downplayed the incident, saying he's had a few disagreements with Walker in the past.

"We're freinds, we still talk," Pierzynski said. "Like I said, we’ve gotten into it many times before and it wasn’t his fault, it was probably my fault."

The way this season has gone, I'm surprised there weren't more incidents in the dugout or locker room. Hell, there's prolly been some. But to me, AJ Pierzynski is one of the few things on this team that concerns me the LEAST :cheers

Before anyone wants to send AJ out the door, please remember White Sox catchers not named AJP have driven in exactly 2 runs this season. Molina was bad, but Hall whether it can be blamed on his injury or not, might just be the most worthless player in major league baseball. He has not hit at all for average or power, he doesn't seem to call a particularly good game, he cannot throw at all....................

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
Before anyone wants to send AJ out the door, please remember White Sox catchers not named AJP have driven in exactly 2 runs this season. Molina was bad, but Hall whether it can be blamed on his injury or not, might just be the most worthless player in major league baseball. He has not hit at all for average or power, he doesn't seem to call a particularly good game, he cannot throw at all....................

Just for the record, since I started the thread...

1. I am NOT saying AJ should go. Not at all. I think he is key to the team, and would be exceedingly difficult to replace. He needs to be kept around at least until the end of his contract (any options included), and probably past that.

2. AJ was my fave player in 2005, and even now is still one of my favorite players on the team.

3. Aj's "attitude" was a key piece to the 2005 success of the Sox.

That all said, that same fiery attitude that can be used for good, can become a drag on a team if used indiscriminately and selfishly. This year, with things going badly, AJ's fire has been directed all over the place and not on himself - something I think there is no denying if you watch him play. And that might have consequences on and off the field. THAT is what I was pointing out, and wondering how much it has effected his play and the team's results.

And I agree on Hall. I'd be ecstatic to see Donny Lucy back up AJ in 2008.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 01:21 PM)
AJ's comment makes me feel like maybe the players feel that Walker doesn't do a good job preparing them for pitchers with scouting reports, etc.

Clearly AJ's admission of fault is secret code for "Walker doesn't know how to prepare us".

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 27, 2007 -> 02:21 PM)
AJ's comment makes me feel like maybe the players feel that Walker doesn't do a good job preparing them for pitchers with scouting reports, etc.

That may very well be. It would explain a lot. Or, maybe these players don't take direction. or perhaps some of both?

Walker is the one coach I'd suggest should probably be fired this offseason (if not before).

Clearly AJ's admission of fault is secret code for "Walker doesn't know how to prepare us".

Exactly, sheesh. :lolhitting

I get a kick out of people on this site who neatly fit every comment, situation, or incident into their preconceived notion of things.

Walker may not be a good hitting coach and quite possibly changes need to be made solely for the sake of change. However, a slacker he ain't. He puts in tons of hours and takes this years failures harder than anyone here by a longshot.

Or, maybe these players don't take direction.

Walker is the one coach I'd suggest should probably be fired this offseason (if not before).

Yes, and several players aren't bright enough to apply the direction they've been given. Or talented enough.

But I do agree that making coaching changes solely for the reason of shaking things up should be a consideration. Sometimes it's a fresh voice.