New England Patriots...cheaters?

Why is stealing their signals against the rules? it seems to me it is just like anticipating a snap count, or when a pitcher is tipping his pitches and the whole opposing team knows. If it was because they used technology, well, them maybe I can see that, but it isn't like they use something not available to every team. And what if the middle linebacker realizes that every time the QB audibles 'red one', that the ball is a quick slant pass and then jumps on the next one? Is that aginst the rules too? I just am askign if there is a clarification on this as to why it is illegal, what the reasoning was behind it. but yeah, that was pretty stupid thing to do. And stupid to get caught.

I have no problem stealing signs if it is a person who does it; for instance, a coach steals the signs, reports the findings to the players, and everyone goes on with their life. I do have a problem with it when technology is used to help steal those signs.

Thus, I have no problem with Joe Nossek totally punking someone and essentially throwing a baserunner out trying to steal from the dugout. I do have a problem with it when your Kodak is the one doing it.

A baseball digression...

My favorite baseball sign stealing story involves Sparky Anderson and Roger Craig when they were with the Tigers as Manager and Pitching Coach, respectively. People all around the league, including Joe Nossek, were driving themselves nuts trying to figure out the Tigers' pitchout sign. No one actually did figure it out, supposedly.

Craig admitted in an interview that the sign was simple: if the was a runner on first and he was holding onto the pipe that ran across the top of the dugout, it was a pitchout. He held that pipe so often at other times, no one ever paid attention to it.

Brilliant.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
They were also using illegal methods of communications. The Pats were using Walkie Talkies to bypass the system that automatically shuts off the headsets. This is some seriously bush league s*** right here.

Every member of the coaching staff involved in this incident should be suspended, and the Pats should lose multiple draft picks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
The standard punishment for this sort of thing is the loss of multiple draft picks. I don't see why they shouldn't have their 2008 1st round pick taken away to start.

They're really lucky the league isn't considering making them forfeit the game.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
The standard punishment for this sort of thing is the loss of multiple draft picks. I don't see why they shouldn't have their 2008 1st round pick taken away to start.

I'd love to see them banned from post season-like they would penalize a University with loss of a bowl game.

I cant stand them

QUOTE(rowandrules83 @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 06:50 PM)
Belichick fined $500,000, the maximum allowed, Pats fined $250,000.

More importantly, they will lose a 2008 1st rd pick if they make the playoffs, or a 2008 2nd and 3rd rd pick if they miss the postseason.

That is sweet. Every other team in the league now moves up one slot.

The Belichick fine is awesome. His reputation is shot.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)
That is sweet. Every other team in the league now moves up one slot.

The Belichick fine is awesome. His reputation is shot.

Does that mean they also lose the other 2008 first round pick they acquired from the 49ers this year? I don't think it does.

So they still have a first round pick. Seems like they were prepared.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Sep 14, 2007 -> 03:01 AM)
Does that mean they also lose the other 2008 first round pick they acquired from the 49ers this year? I don't think it does.

So they still have a first round pick. Seems like they were prepared.

Belicheck's got back-up plans for back-up plans, let me tell ya.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Sep 13, 2007 -> 10:26 PM)
Belicheck's got back-up plans for back-up plans, let me tell ya.

Hell, he may now have to sleep with the wives of opposing coaches to get the type of information previously provided by his spy crew.

Not that it'd be much of a stretch.