A signing out of the Dominican

29andPoplar

Interesting... I can't wait to get some real info on the kid.

A true youth movement: At 16 years old, most teenagers are worried about prom dates and college choices, as opposed to beginning their chosen profession.

But the White Sox might just have an exception to that particular rule.

Jose Silveiro, who joined the White Sox in the Instructional Leagues a mere two weeks ago, could be the team's shortstop of the future. It's a little difficult to rate Silveiro at this point, though, considering he just became of age to drive.

"He has soft hands, a strong arm and a nice approach," said Regier, who added that Silveiro played nine innings against the Angels during Instructional League action Thursday.

"There's still a lot of work to be done there, and we have to help him with things like the language barrier," Regier added. "But, baseball is baseball."

Wilder and the rest of the White Sox Latin America crew signed Silveiro out of the Dominican Republic. There's no basic timetable set for Silveiro's progression upwards, but the talented middle infielder could be a Major Leaguer before he turns 21.

"You hope a guy like this will be an impact player," said Regier of Silveiro. "When you get a player of his talent, at this age, you are hoping he comes fast."

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
Sorry, didn't mean to get anyone all excited but I saw this brief mention in an article on the Sox website.

Scroll down toward the end, they discuss a 16 yr. old SS they signed out of the DR. They appear optimistic about this guy.

http://whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?y...sp&c_id=cws

Interesting, they say they wont rate him yet, but also hint that they are really high on him. Still he apparently has good defensive skills so maybe he can turn into something valuable, but those young guys are such crapshoots, you just dont know how they will grow into their body and mind.

I like the fact that they are taking the time to pub it. It indicates that the Sox are familiar with what is going on and I don't think they would take the time to discuss this guy in public if they didn't feel good about the move and the PR around it. A lot can happen but if they are signing a 16 year old with good tools I'm happy (the more of those guys you can sign the more likely the odds are that a few of them develop into major leaguers).

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
Its a 16 year old. He may have just developed early.

Don't forget that Adrian Beltre and Andruw Jones were also signed right around 16 (in Beltre's case he was signed at a younger age). Joel Guzman is another guy that was signed at an extremely young age and I'm sure there are plenty others that I am forgetting.

I think the important part when you remember a kid is 16 is to be extremely patient and understanding that it may be a year or two until you see him playing in any full season league in the US. However, if he has good raw tools now that is a good indication that he has good raw abilities and those could continue to grow as his body matures (than again he could be an early developer with his body not developing much) and by surrounding him with good coaching at a young age (mixed with good raw abilities) we could see him turn into a impact guy.

Of course I wouldn't bet anything on him panning out. Not at 16, no kid can be a guarantee at that age. That said I like the philosphy and I hope the Sox start pushing out and trying to make more "young" signings. The sheer numbers game should pan out (if you put young kids that have talent and combine it with good coaching, some of those kids are bound to pan out).

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
The high expectations have already begun with me.

He better be here before his 21st birthday. I have no confidence we'll have an internal SS replacement by then.

I was wondering when you would make your appearance. :P

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
The high expectations have already begun with me.

He better be here before his 21st birthday. I have no confidence we'll have an internal SS replacement by then.

I have high hopes for Miranda. If he does as well in 2008 in W-S (I assume where he is going) as he did in 2007 with GF and Kanny, I think he's got a bright future.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
Between this kid, Miranda and Paiml (I know, I know...he's "old"), I think we have some pretty good SS prospects finally.

You're right... If only we had a slick fielding, 20-year old SS, with plus speed putting up a .288/.320/.417 line in W-S a couple of years ago, we'd be in good shape now.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 12:14 PM)
You're right... If only we had a slick fielding, 20-year old SS, with plus speed putting up a .288/.320/.417 line in W-S a couple of years ago, we'd be in good shape now.

So I suppose that's Valido's line?

We now have 2 guys in the system (Miranda and maybe Paiml) who look like they could be major league shortstops. Its early, so who knows - but right now they look good. I realize you really enjoy breaking the system down and all, but is this all you can come up with? People point out a couple good prospects, add in this 16-year old, and the best response you can muster is "Valido sucked eventually"?

Saying "its too early to tell", or, "sometimes guys like that don't work out" is all fine and dandy - and you'd be right. They may both end up combing out. But the constant sarcastic responses to ANYTHING remotely positive get old pretty quickly.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 06:09 PM)
And saying Paiml "could be a major league SS" is like saying I could be president. Sure, it could happen, but it aint bloody likely.

I think that his odds are slightly better. Unless you're Tom Dobbs or something.

QUOTE(False Alarm @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)

$600k for a 16 year old. Well the minor league obsessives are getting what they wanted... This kid must be something else if he is getting over a half of a million dollars and he wouldn't even be out of high school yet in the US. There really isn't a way to sound much more serious about the farm system than moves like this.

Supposedly he has a chance to be "special", man I hope so.

So you would have your organization out giving 30 sixteen year olds $600,000 each? Wow.

The cost factor certainly is one aspect to look at.

If they went to $600k on this kid, they were definitely bidding against other teams, probably multiple teams.

Signing bonuses, while extremely important, are only one aspect of recruiting talent in the Dominican. Facilities and teaching life skills are very important to these kids and their families, as are relationships with team personnel. Loyalty is a big thing in the Dominican and a team can get a leg up by having the right people in the right jobs. Mets, Yankees, Braves to name three do this very well. Some will say it's always the teams who throw around the most money but that is not necessarily true.

I believe the White Sox, who have always had a presence in the DR, are beginning to capitalize on their network of relationships, a direct result of having well connected people in the right roles. It was unusual for the Sox to mention this SS on their website - they sign lots of Dominican kids every year but the average fan never hears about it. What I do know is they've upped their financial commitment, they have added staff both at the scouting and senior administration level, and opened a 2nd baseball academy. All of these activities should result in more signings. Whether they are all at the $600k or higher level, we will see.

$600,000 is a lot of money. Keep in mind our first round pick, who has pitched in college baseball got $1.2 million, and we have a lot more history to work with there, not to mention he is a lefty who throws 97 mph.

That is a HUGE amount of money for a 16 year old kid, I just hope it works out.