Williams: Forget deal for A-Rod

spiderman

Williams: Forget deal for A-Rod

WHITE SOX | GM knows economics don't allow it

Alex Rodriguez is ready to hit the free-agent market after revealing Sunday that he was opting out of his Yankees contract. And don't think for one second that the hair on the back of Ken Williams' neck didn't stand up for a brief moment as the White Sox general manager once again had visions of pursing the all-world infielder.

Rodriguez was on Williams' radar as far back as the 2000-01 offseason, the GM's first months on the job, and again when Rodriguez was traded by the Texas Rangers before the '04 season. He wound up with the Yankees and is walking out on the final three years of his 10-year, $252 million contract.

This time around, it didn't take long for Williams to come back down to earth.

''When I heard the number ... put it this way: I heard that number, and I haven't spent one minute thinking about it,'' Williams said. ''For our purposes, we would very quickly run the average fan out of our ballpark ... our economic situation wouldn't allow for something like that.''

Passing on Rodriguez doesn't mean that Williams won't be looking at other big-name free agents. With the conclusion of the World Series, he was awaiting the early list of free agents who already have filed, with the recruiting process about to begin.

''Full go,'' Williams said when asked about his offseason mind-set. ''As we speak, I'm waiting for contact from [assistant GM] Rick [Hahn] on the list of free agents. As they start to trickle in, I'll start making some visits to people.''

The postseason was a painful one for Williams. He watched most of it from his sofa, flipping channels when the anxiety grew to a point of intolerance.

''We have unfinished business,'' Williams said. ''I didn't like the taste I had in my mouth watching from my couch.''

The first order of business is expected to come swiftly, with the club having to make decisions on the contract options of outfielder Darin Erstad, reliever Mike Myers and shortstop Juan Uribe.

Williams expects to inform Erstad and Myers quickly of the decision. The call on Uribe could come next week, with the deadline looming

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 06:06 AM)
''When I heard the number ... put it this way: I heard that number, and I haven't spent one minute thinking about it,'' Williams said. ''For our purposes, we would very quickly run the average fan out of our ballpark ... our economic situation wouldn't allow for something like that.''

It's comments like these that make me hate KW. He's just too candid for his own good sometimes and ends up sounding like an ass-bag.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 06:25 AM)
In this situation, I think Kenny's big mouth is a good thing. Its one less GM that Borass can use to try to drive his price up against other people. If more GMs did this, it would make it much harder for this guy to get his big money.

Exactly. Don't think for a second that this was some off the cuff comment. He knew exactly what he was saying. And even if the Sox were thinking about it, they obviously weren't thinking a number that high, so this is exactly the response that makes sense.

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 05:26 AM)
It's comments like these that make me hate KW. He's just too candid for his own good sometimes and ends up sounding like an ass-bag.

I don't think KW being realistic about making the Sox inaccessable to the average fan makes him an ass-bag.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 07:25 AM)
In this situation, I think Kenny's big mouth is a good thing. Its one less GM that Borass can use to try to drive his price up against other people. If more GMs did this, it would make it much harder for this guy to get his big money.

Drive the price up really high and hurt a team financially for being stupid. The owners and GM's are the fools for tripping over themselves to pony up the cash. Keep your hat in the ring and cost the Angels another $50M that they can not spend next offseason.

The sad thing about his quote is losing 90 games at he current price will drive away the common fan much quicker than the price of winning.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 06:26 AM)

So him saying that the ridiculous number they are asking for is ridiculous makes him an ass-bag?

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
Drive the price up really high and hurt a team financially for being stupid. The owners and GM's are the fools for tripping over themselves to pony up the cash. Keep your hat in the ring and cost the Angels another $50M that they can not spend next offseason.

The sad thing about his quote is losing 90 games at he current price will drive away the common fan much quicker than the price of winning.

It was never going to be us driving up the price. There are maybe 4 teams in all of baseball that can afford his contract, and its no secret that we arent one of them.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
So him saying that the ridiculous number they are asking for is ridiculous makes him an ass-bag?

Nope. It's how arrogant KW always is. Dating way back to the Mike Sirotka trade and how he handled that in the media after it happened. The way he handled Frank said NOTHING and KW threw a crying tirade.

KW could've said something to the effect that yeah ARod is a great player, but he takes the route and says "Oh it didn't even take me a second to think about it."

KW is a good GM and has forgotten more about baseball than I know. However, personality wise...the guy is a piss-ant.

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)
Nope. It's how arrogant KW always is. Dating way back to the Mike Sirotka trade and how he handled that in the media after it happened. The way he handled Frank said NOTHING and KW threw a crying tirade.

KW could've said something to the effect that yeah ARod is a great player, but he takes the route and says "Oh it didn't even take me a second to think about it."

KW is a good GM and has forgotten more about baseball than I know. However, personality wise...the guy is a piss-ant.

So it hasn't occurred to you that maybe he says these things for a reason? That they are orchestrated statements with a purpose?

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
I just wish they would quietly not get involved instead of this being the first thing we hear from them every off season. I wouldnt deal with this ridiculous salary either, just stop making it sound like everything they do is based on money. Geez I'm tired of that

Its over 30 million a year. EVERY team is making this decision based on money.

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 05:26 AM)

An assbag telling the truth.

He's absolutely right. Fans are b****ing and moaning about ticket prices in the $40 range and he knows damn straight the pissy whining that would take place if they had to raise prices to $70 - which is what would have to happen to support a payroll that included ARod.

QUOTE(rockren @ Oct 30, 2007 -> 08:36 AM)

Ahhh.. I see where you are coming from now.