Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 06:10 PM)
I'll bet right now KW is giving his very best sales pitch in trying to get Hunter to take 4/$52. No way do the Sox offer up $ 70 mil. for Hunter and there's no reason they should.

After Hunter goes to Texas or someplace for 5/70 then KW will go to work on ARow. He'll try to get him for 3/$28.5 ,

dude, Hunter isn't going anywhere for 5/70; he might very well come to Chicago for 6/90 or something, but 5/70 is merely a preliminary offer

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 06:12 PM)
... maybe KW is also throwing in Jamie Burke's jersey that Toriiii knocked him out of. Not like Burke is using it.

Which is a shame really, the .761 OPS he posted while acting as Johjima's backup last season would have been nice to have.

I could live with... sign Hunter (13-15 mil), sign Loretta to a part time roll (couple mil with incentives), and sign Stewart (4-5 mil) and have a lineup of...

1. Stewart/Owens, LF

2. Loretta/Richar, 2B

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Hunter, CF

6. Dye, RF

7. Pierzynski, C

8. Fields, 3B

9. Uribe (ugh), SS

The report for Hunter was legit. Levine brought it up on every update so whoever asked if it was true, it is.

They didnt announce a figure though unless I missed it. I listened to it all day though and didnt hear a number one time because I was listening for it after the first time it was reported.

So the 13-14 mil I am fairly certain is speculation b/c I definately didnt hear Levine say it. I could've missed it though. Doubt it but it's possible.

Levine said the Sox were putting the offer together today basically and that it'd be offered tomorrow I guess...He said it was a 5 year deal....He didn't change that at all, it was 5 years everytime.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 06:50 PM)
I would be shocked if Hunters final deal is under 5 years and/or under 75 million

i really hope we get hunter but i dont think we will. i seriously doubt the sox will go past 5 years and im sure theres a team out there willing to give him 6 yrs or so. :pray

Dye is tight with Hunter. While the White Sox couldn't discuss money with Hunter, you know Dye could, and I'm sure KW knew what he's looking for financially when they met Sunday. If there's a bidding war, the price will rise. Hunter seemed to want to take his time, probably so he can play one offer off another. KW probably either wants to sign him fast or move on to plan B. It will be interesting. Personally, I would rather spend the money on Cabrera and trade for Crisp, but do the White Sox have the prospects to get that done? At least for next season, the dollars would be about the same, and there's your LF and CF.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
I'll bet right now KW is giving his very best sales pitch in trying to get Hunter to take 4/$52. No way do the Sox offer up $ 70 mil. for Hunter and there's no reason they should.

After Hunter goes to Texas or someplace for 5/70 then KW will go to work on ARow. He'll try to get him for 3/$28.5 ,

What makes you think Aaron Rowand would sign a 3 year $28.5M deal, when Eric Byrnes got a 3/33 deal (and probably took a hometown discount in the process?)

Rowand should get 4 to 5 years easy. And he'll get around 12M a season I'm thinking. More than what Gary Matthews Jr. got last off-season as well.

As for Hunter, well that's obviously going to be the starting point in negotiations for the Sox I'm thinking. He will probably get a better offer from a team such as Texas or even the Dodgers (2nd worst CF production in the MLB last season, Sox were last).

Here is some cold water, Rangers had dinner with Hunter tonight. They have more money, a history of spending the money and he lives in Texas. Lots of math says Hunter goes to Texas, but I am sure KW is counting on making an offer so he can appease sox fans by saying the Sox stepped up.

QUOTE(quickman @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
Here is some cold water, Rangers had dinner with Hunter tonight. They have more money, a history of spending the money and he lives in Texas. Lots of math says Hunter goes to Texas, but I am sure KW is counting on making an offer so he can appease sox fans by saying the Sox stepped up.

Yup, from MLBtraderumors.com

"Owner Tom Hicks and GM Jon Daniels had dinner with Torii Hunter tonight. I heard they had the roast beef. The Rangers will make an offer later this week, though they'll have to top whatever the White Sox come up with. "

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
What makes you think Aaron Rowand would sign a 3 year $28.5M deal, when Eric Byrnes got a 3/33 deal (and probably took a hometown discount in the process?)

Rowand should get 4 to 5 years easy. And he'll get around 12M a season I'm thinking. More than what Gary Matthews Jr. got last off-season as well.

As for Hunter, well that's obviously going to be the starting point in negotiations for the Sox I'm thinking. He will probably get a better offer from a team such as Texas or even the Dodgers (2nd worst CF production in the MLB last season, Sox were last).

It's probably just me, but I'd prefer Rowand at 4 years at 48 million over Hunter at 5 years at 75 million.

QUOTE(quickman @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)

Excluding bringing Konerko back, isn't Albert Belle the last really big name free agent the White Sox signed? I know they signed other free agents, particularly Dye, but weren't they all bargain priced? I don't think KW has ever signed a big time big moneyfree agent from another team. Its why I kind of figure he will wind up trying to get Rowand to accept a lowball offer, because of familiarity. Tom Hicks also doesn't have to pay the Yankees anymore.

Torii Hunter's quote in a Fort Worth Star Telegram today:

While it would seem like a stretch for the Rangers to be able to sign Hunter, don’t wager against it.

He certainly hasn’t.

“I almost bet you that the Texas Rangers have a better chance than anybody,” he said.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
Those won't be Rowand's numbers.

Well he'll be getting more than Byrnes, but I don't see him getting $15M a season, as Torii Hunter may. Just doesn't have enough "good consistent" seasons up on the board. He picked the perfect time to have a good one though.

Somewhere b/w 12 and 13M is a good compromise for mine, and maybe the contract escalates in value through the years.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 13, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
Torii Hunter's quote in a Fort Worth Star Telegram today:

While it would seem like a stretch for the Rangers to be able to sign Hunter, don’t wager against it.

He certainly hasn’t.

“I almost bet you that the Texas Rangers have a better chance than anybody,” he said.

Sounds like a message to KW and other GM's to pony up more $$$ rather then him actually signing in Texas.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Nov 14, 2007 -> 04:00 AM)
Sounds like a message to KW and other GM's to pony up more $$$ rather then him actually signing in Texas.

Don't be so sure of that....there's been buzz for a year now that Hunter would end up in Texas when he became a FA.