Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 08:07 AM)
Let me dream here....

1) Owens, LF

2) O. Cabrera, SS

3) Konerko, 1B

4) Thome, DH

5) Dye, RF

6) Hunter, CF

7) Crede/Fields, 3B

8) Pierzynski, C

9) Richar, 2B

DAMN!!!

Looks more like a bad dream. You are not shooting too high.

An uprgade at 2B or LF would be nice.

Remember we downgraded at Starting Pitching, and our bullpen is still weak. That lineup is an improvement, but it doesn't account for the other weaknesses.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(quickman @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 07:01 AM)
Don't forget all the rumors of Coco Crisp. Still maybe something there,

Actually I love that idea. Crisp is younger than Hunter, isn't quite as good defensively but still a major upgrade over what we have, is a pretty solid hitter (we already have plenty of power and don't need Hunter for that) and would come much much cheaper. Let's not forget we still need at least one more arm for the 'pen and probably the rotation as well. If Kenny thinks this team is contending with Contreras as the #3 starter, he's a lunatic. And I'm not just going off last year. I said at the time they extended him that it was a mistake. He has basically had two good HALF seasons his entire time in MLB. And if you consider Vazquez's historic shakiness, and Danks' still-unproven'ness (yeah, i know, not a word), we are in no position (at the moment) to be "going for it" in '08. Ain't gonna happen. Just being realistic.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 08:32 PM)
:lol:

Well, *if* there's a meeting, I could all but guess one or two places where they'd go.

Remember, Torii lives right outside Dallas.

Whats theat awesome texmex place where Cuban goes sometimes and several mavs go. I cant remember the name but it was awesome the few times I ate there.

I think it's funny how people think the decision will come down to which team Hunter thinks has a better chance to be competitive. It only has to do with money and years on the contract. And southsideirish....I respect your opinion that it's a done deal, but don't going around saying it is unless you actually have some type of proof.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 03:29 PM)
Actually I love that idea. Crisp is younger than Hunter, isn't quite as good defensively but still a major upgrade over what we have, is a pretty solid hitter (we already have plenty of power and don't need Hunter for that) and would come much much cheaper. Let's not forget we still need at least one more arm for the 'pen and probably the rotation as well. If Kenny thinks this team is contending with Contreras as the #3 starter, he's a lunatic. And I'm not just going off last year. I said at the time they extended him that it was a mistake. He has basically had two good HALF seasons his entire time in MLB. And if you consider Vazquez's historic shakiness, and Danks' still-unproven'ness (yeah, i know, not a word), we are in no position (at the moment) to be "going for it" in '08. Ain't gonna happen. Just being realistic.

Crisp isn't a very good hitter.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
I think it's funny how people think the decision will come down to which team Hunter thinks has a better chance to be competitive. It only has to do with money and years on the contract.

Probably, but not 100% necessarily. If the offers are very close, some players will look at other factors.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
Whats theat awesome texmex place where Cuban goes sometimes and several mavs go. I cant remember the name but it was awesome the few times I ate there.

There's two or three good ones downtown... I'm not sure which one you're referring.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
I completely agree. If the Sox sign a big name FA that will tell me right now that they also have plans to acquire someone to play left field and leadoff with Fields sliding to 3rd and Crede heading out (either for a bullpen arm of in a package along with some prospects for the leadoff hitter). The only remaining question will be whether he really is that confident in his young starters of if he will also make a move for a starting pitcher (or if he will end up jumping on someone like Colon).

I also must say if he did upgrade the leadoff spot and brought in one of Rowand/Hunter/Jones plus made a move in the pen that this team would be on paper very strong (the only question being the rotation and with one more move you could still have a relatively strong rotation).

Here is a dumb idea. If the market for Crede is as low as some people project, is there any thought to trading Paulie for one or two of many reasons (youth, starting pitching, leadoff hitter, relief corps, etc.), sliding Crede to first and keeping Josh at third?

I know Crede is the far better defensive option at 3B at this point in his career, but with his back issues, it may make more sense to keep him as a mentor to Fields and rest his back playing a less strenuous position. He would do well at first scooping throws in the dirt and allows you flexibility next offseason. If his back is still balky, you let him walk and hopefully Fields has improved. If not, you still have some flexibility on what to do with him when Boras comes asking for the moon. The two big questions would be 1. How can KW screw up a Konerko trade? & 2. What happens if Crede goes down again midseason? The second is the biggest gamble and could be the breaking point in the season.

And southsideirish....I respect your opinion that it's a done deal, but don't going around saying it is unless you actually have some type of proof.

And exactly what type of proof should he post on a message board?

I hope he's correct and I think he's a good poster. I don't know why you of all people are calling him out though. Nothing personal but he did what you do all the time, make statements about what'll happen without naming a source or providing proof.

In complete fairness and for accuracy sake, he did post yesterday the meeting between Hunter and the Rangers wouldn't take place last night, and they did meet ... unless Jon Daniels is lying, which I doubt. So southsideirish was wrong on that aspect.

Edited by 29andPoplar

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 11:18 AM)

I hope he's correct and I think he's a good poster. I don't know why you of all people are calling him out though. Nothing personal but he did what you do all the time, make statements about what'll happen without naming a source or providing proof.

He's being called out because there is a difference between what most people here like to say...

"I bet we sign *insert name*"

or

"We are totally getting *insert name*", and leave it at that.

This guy has been so insistent over so many posts, calling any other speculation of even a chance otherwise as "wrong"... he may have an inside source, but he may also be like the guy posting that crap yesterday on WSI about his buddies and their radio shows.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)

In complete fairness and for accuracy sake, he did post yesterday the meeting between Hunter and the Rangers wouldn't take place last night, and they did meet ... unless Jon Daniels is lying, which I doubt. So southsideirish was wrong on that aspect.

People on here know where I get my information from. I recall in an earlier post he said it's just a gut feeling. If he actually has proof, then that's a great scoop and I hope he's correct. That's all I'm saying...nowhere did I tell him to name a source or mention how he knows this is true.

He's being called out because there is a difference between what most people here like to say...

"I bet we sign *insert name*"

or

"We are totally getting *insert name*", and leave it at that.

This guy has been so insistent over so many posts, calling any other speculation of even a chance otherwise as "wrong"... he may have an inside source, but he may also be like the guy posting that crap yesterday on WSI about his buddies and their radio shows.

If you say so. I see it as the same thing, i.e. being coy and not fessing up. Which is ok, it's a message board, people can and do say what they want. And people believe what they want.

I wonder why Torii said Cowley's report was untrue, and why he had dinner with Texas, and why they are going to get back to each other after the holiday if he basically has already agreed to be a White Sox. Things change. Omar Vizquel was supposed to be a White Sox. Levine staked his reputation on it, then when it fell through, backtracked.

People on here know where I get my information from. I recall in an earlier post he said it's just a gut feeling. If he actually has proof, then that's a great scoop and I hope he's correct. That's all I'm saying...nowhere did I tell him to name a source or mention how he knows this is true.

No, people don't know where you get your information from. You never say, it's all coy and hush hush, unless you are talking again about the Baseball America connect. If so, I would take a source inside the White Sox org. over that any day, but that's just me, again nothing personal re: your connections. Just my opinion.

Nowhere did you tell him to mention how he knows this is true? Really? What does "provide some proof" mean then?

Edit: my apologies, meant to type "have some proof".

Edited by 29andPoplar

It would be a tremendous insult to Tom Hicks and his family if Torii and his agent just decided to hang for dinner at the Hicks' residence if a deal is already complete with the White Sox. His dinner there may certainly have been a posturing move to show the White Sox he is serious about Texas, but from everything I have heard about Torii, he is a class act- I sincerely doubt he would waste the time of the Rangers owner, his sons, and his GM by being entertained for an evening when he has already committed to another deal. I have no doubt that Hunter wants to be a White Sox, but that doesn't preclude him from trying to become a White Sox on his own terms, rather than their own. I sincerely doubt anything has been agreed to, or that anything is a "done deal."

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
No, people don't know where you get your information from. You never say, it's all coy and hush hush, unless you are talking again about the Baseball America connect. If so, I would take a source inside the White Sox org. over that any day, but that's just me, again nothing personal re: your connections. Just my opinion.

Nowhere did you tell him to mention how he knows this is true? Really? What does "provide some proof" mean then?

I told him to not say anything unless he has some proof.....in absolutely no way did I then say that he should actually give us that proof. If I wanted to know what supporting evidence he has, I would ask him straight up: what do you know? I guess it's just a matter of semantics, and I'm sure he would share his information if he really wanted to.

I wouldn't go around saying things like the White Sox are down on Sweeney and are willing to trade him this offseason if I hadn't at least heard that from some source. As you know better than anyone, there's a difference between a gut feeling and actually information. I just hope ssi has legit information.

I wonder why Torii said Cowley's report was untrue, and why he had dinner with Texas, and why they are going to get back to each other after the holiday if he basically has already agreed to be a White Sox. Things change. Omar Vizquel was supposed to be a White Sox. Levine staked his reputation on it, then when it fell through, backtracked.

Probably the dumbest thing Levine ever said. Really dumb.

Lots of grey area in Cowley's column, especially the part about if some other team comes in with an offer that blows the White Sox out of the water. Last sentence I believe. I would be shocked if Hunter didn't deny a specific question from MLB.com asking whether he'd agreed to terms with the White Sox. That would be dumb as well.

You are completely right about things changing, aint' that the truth. They change up until the last minute sometimes.

I hope they get Hunter, I like to win and I think he can help. They need lots more though, and hopefully things change on their attempts to help the bullpen, per KW's comments yesterday.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:36 PM)
It would be a tremendous insult to Tom Hicks and his family if Torii and his agent just decided to hang for dinner at the Hicks' residence if a deal is already complete with the White Sox. His dinner there may certainly have been a posturing move to show the White Sox he is serious about Texas, but from everything I have heard about Torii, he is a class act- I sincerely doubt he would waste the time of the Rangers owner, his sons, and his GM by being entertained for an evening when he has already committed to another deal. I have no doubt that Hunter wants to be a White Sox, but that doesn't preclude him from trying to become a White Sox on his own terms, rather than their own. I sincerely doubt anything has been agreed to, or that anything is a "done deal."

Hunter LOVES the spotlight and attention though. There has been some gossip that he wanted the deal done prior to Thanksgiving. As I mentioned last night, Cowley's article seems like it could be a plant by the Sox organization to state their case if the Rangers offer him a crazy amount.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
Probably the dumbest thing Levine ever said. Really dumb.

The dumbest thing Levine ever said was when he thought that the Sox losing the first game to the Mariners in the playoffs in 2001 was a good thing, as it would help them get the jitters out and rebound for the rest of the series. The second dumbest thing might be when he reported that Alex Cora had agreed to terms with the Indians, like he had some breaking news, about 3 days after the story was reported and the contract signed.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
I think it's funny how people think the decision will come down to which team Hunter thinks has a better chance to be competitive. It only has to do with money and years on the contract. And southsideirish....I respect your opinion that it's a done deal, but don't going around saying it is unless you actually have some type of proof.

proof? You post stuff based on what you have "heard" all of the time, and we just accept it, why it is different for him?