Torii Hunter

Allsox

I told him to not say anything unless he has some proof.....in absolutely no way did I then say that he should actually give us that proof. If I wanted to know what supporting evidence he has, I would ask him straight up: what do you know? I guess it's just a matter of semantics, and I'm sure he would share his information if he really wanted to.

I wouldn't go around saying things like the White Sox are down on Sweeney and are willing to trade him this offseason if I hadn't at least heard that from some source. As you know better than anyone, there's a difference between a gut feeling and actually information. I just hope ssi has legit information.

Semantics is right. If you didn't want to know, why post the call out? I just got a smile out of that. :)

If you have watched this team for any length of time and know about this front office, which I know you have, then you know they talk about moving any player if they think it makes them better. Any player, unless there's an iron clad trade clause. Their minor league philosophy is to give Williams a list of guys which can/should be included in trades for major league help. Williams is highly aggressive, he talks trade and lays groundwork for trades all the time. Not a suprise, nor a revelation, Sweeney was discussed. The Arizona Fall League is one of the biggest showcase mechanisms in baseball. For your own team, and for other teams.

Ah well. I am all for seeing what happens because the bottom line is, all the info is basically a tangled web. Very few people know for sure right now. Maybe not even Torii Hunter himself. It sure is fun to kick the can around though isn't it?

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
proof? You post stuff based on what you have "heard" all of the time, and we just accept it, why it is different for him?

Do you want me to name the exact BA writer or minor league scout it's coming from?

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:46 AM)
Crisp isn't a very good hitter.

He's a .280 lifetime hitter with a .329 OBP. Compare that to Hunter's .271/.324. They're both good for around 20 steals a year. Obviously Hunter has more power, but he also strikes out more. We already have that covered with Thome, Konerko, Dye and AJ. Hunter's a better fielder, but Crisp is no slouch in the field. Crisp is 4 years younger and would come MUCH cheaper. And like I said, we have more holes to fill and not much payroll room if we sign Hunter for 5-6 years (and don't forget we need to extend Cabrera at some point).

Edited by FlaCWS

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
He's a .280 lifetime hitter with a .329 OBP. Compare that to Hunter's .271/.324. They're both good for around 20 steals a year. Obviously Hunter has more power, but he also strikes out more. We already have that covered with Thome, Konerko, Dye and AJ. Hunter's a better fielder, but Crisp is no slouch in the field. Crisp is 4 years younger and would come MUCH cheaper. And like I said, we have more holes to fill and not much payroll room if we sign Hunter for 5-6 years (and don't forget we need to extend Cabrera at some point).

Crisp's power numbers are significantly down over the past two seasons.

I remember some of the baseball writer's comments about Vizquel being a Sox for certain and I don't think KW or others thought anything different either. I would almost be sure that guys like Cowley and Levine are quoting pretty reliable sources. It seems the Sox for all intents and purposes thought they hand Vizquel locked up and he backtracked at the last minute. Now the specualtion is on Hunter, but in reality it may be someone else or a trade and we are all just assuming it's Hunter. If he had an agreement with the Sox I think he would have already signed. It ain't a done deal by any means I am sure and Hunter will continue to negotiate for the best deal. Maybe KW told him to go out there and do it and come back to the Sox and we will top any deal? Anything is possible in the world of total speculation.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
Crisp's power numbers are significantly down over the past two seasons.

Hasn't he been dealing with a broken hand or finger or something though? And isn't Fenway somewhat difficult for LH hitters to go deep in?

As for the Vizquel situation, I think everyone thought he was coming here. So much so that the White Sox significantly changed the manner in which they approached free agent signings because of that specific incident. I think it's unfair to blame that on Levine- he certainly wasn't the only one made to look foolish by Omar signing with San Francisco.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 11:34 AM)
Hasn't he been dealing with a broken hand or finger or something though? And isn't Fenway somewhat difficult for LH hitters to go deep in?

As for the Vizquel situation, I think everyone thought he was coming here. So much so that the White Sox significantly changed the manner in which they approached free agent signings because of that specific incident. I think it's unfair to blame that on Levine- he certainly wasn't the only one made to look foolish by Omar signing with San Francisco.

The thing Levine did was announce he was staking his reputation on it. Once he did that and it fell through, he looks like a fool. I think Coco would hit better away from Fenway. He has been banged up. If KW could acquire him to play LF with Hunter in CF, not much drops in the OF. I just hope KW gets the pitchers that can keep the ball in the park, and who can throw strikes.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 11:46 AM)
The thing Levine did was announce he was staking his reputation on it. Once he did that and it fell through, he looks like a fool. I think Coco would hit better away from Fenway. He has been banged up. If KW could acquire him to play LF with Hunter in CF, not much drops in the OF. I just hope KW gets the pitchers that can keep the ball in the park, and who can throw strikes.

Who do we send to Boston for Crisp? They signed Lowell, so they don't want Crede. They have far more pitching than we do, so we can't really afford to send them that. Possibly an OF prospect? Sweeney?

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:07 AM)
Let me dream here....

1) Owens, LF

2) O. Cabrera, SS

3) Konerko, 1B

4) Thome, DH

5) Dye, RF

6) Hunter, CF

7) Crede/Fields, 3B

8) Pierzynski, C

9) Richar, 2B

DAMN!!!

any lineup with Owens leading off is a bad lineup...so the phrase "DAMN!!!" is misplaced here.

If Crede were kept, Fields would be in LF with Owens in the minors and Cabrera leading off.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 11:47 AM)
There's something I don't like about Coco. Not sure what it is, just something.

The fact that he is not a good hitter.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
Do you want me to name the exact BA writer or minor league scout it's coming from?

I guess it would be a golden rule moment for you... If you are going to demand "proof" from others, it probably is a good idea for you to live up to the same standards.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 06:15 PM)
I guess it would be a golden rule moment for you... If you are going to demand "proof" from others, it probably is a good idea for you to live up to the same standards.

The whole point is that people know from what avenue I'm getting my information from. No one knows that with ssi, and since he said it was a "gut feeling" earlier in this thread, I was just suggesting to him that if it's nothing more than a gut feeling, he might want to watch the wording.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 11:57 AM)
Who do we send to Boston for Crisp? They signed Lowell, so they don't want Crede. They have far more pitching than we do, so we can't really afford to send them that. Possibly an OF prospect? Sweeney?

The rumor I had originally read had Chris Carter going to Boston for Crisp. If that actually happened, I would be extremely upset. I don't think Crisp is anything to special, and I don't think he is worth Carter or even Sweeney for that matter. I would give something like Brian Anderson and Aardsma for him. I doubt they would want them, but in my eyes he is not worth giving up a prospect with much of any upside for.

QUOTE(soxfaninpa @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
The rumor I had originally read had Chris Carter going to Boston for Crisp. If that actually happened, I would be extremely upset. I don't think Crisp is anything to special, and I don't think he is worth Carter or even Sweeney for that matter. I would give something like Brian Anderson and Aardsma for him. I doubt they would want them, but in my eyes he is not worth giving up a prospect with much of any upside for.

That "rumor" was a "guess" by the "people" at "Baseball" "Prospectus."

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)

The only reason any of exchange is happening is because a few of us want to know why we should "book it" that Hunter will be signed by Monday when all indications are the opposite. All I want, and I'm sure all that Fathom really wants, is some explanation for that position.

QUOTE(G&T @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 06:42 PM)
The only reason any of exchange is happening is because a few of us want to know why we should "book it" that Hunter will be signed by Monday when all indications are the opposite. All I want, and I'm sure all that Fathom really wants, is some explanation for that position.

Well, as 29th already stated, he was wrong about the meeting not taking place last night.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
Do you have proof of this or are you going by radio and newspaper reports? I would like to see your proof that this happened. Pictures?

What are you going on?

He's being called out because there is a difference between what most people here like to say...

"I bet we sign *insert name*"

or

"We are totally getting *insert name*", and leave it at that.

This guy has been so insistent over so many posts, calling any other speculation of even a chance otherwise as "wrong"... he may have an inside source, but he may also be like the guy posting that crap yesterday on WSI about his buddies and their radio shows.

What are you talking about? I never once said I have an inside source. I am posting pure speculation base on how things are going. I claim no inside sources whatsoever. Just remember where you heard it first. The deal is done.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
What are you talking about? I never once said I have an inside source. I am posting pure speculation base on how things are going. I claim no inside sources whatsoever. Just remember where you heard it first. The deal is done.

I hope you don't expect, ah, "credit" for "calling" that the "deal is done" and "there is no meeting" (between Texas and Hunter) if you are, indeed, insisting that you have no inside knowledge and no nothing beyond your own guesses.