KW

Soxfest

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 10:34 AM)
Could the Sox trade for Abreu?

Abreu has a 1yr/16 mil deal with the Yanks. With the departure of ARod, they'll really need his slugging and OBP more than ever.

With a 1 yr deal, it wouldn't be worth the WSox to get him anyway....especially at 16 million.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 11:03 AM)
And none of those guys would I hesitate in trading for someone like Crawford.

I agree. FDL is only substantial prospect on that list and the odds are stacked against him ever making the majors, let alone being a quality starter. In fact if the Rays wanted Egbert, Gio, and Danks for Crawford I would do that trade.

ESPN 1000 says the Sox have contacted Tampa Bay in regards to Carl Crawford.. How many times do you guys think KW has tried to swing a deal for Crawford? Do we even have a decent package to offer them?

Yes, this seems to come up every winter and every trade deadline doesn't it. The White Sox would (likely) have to overwhelm the Rays to get Crawford and as you suggest I'm not sure they match up. Baldelli might be easier to get now, but there are huge red flags with Rocco (staying healthy for one).

No doubt. I just have a feeling that this is the throw stuff up and see what sticks thing going on. I would be very surprised (and happy) if there was a way to work out a deal for Crawford.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
1 guaranteed year remaining on his deal but there are 2 team options as well.

2008: $5.25 million

2009: $8.25 million club option w/$2.5 million buyout

2010: $10 million club option w/$1.25 million buyout

Crawford at 3 yrs for 23.5 million?

Oh I hope the rumor is true.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
ESPN 1000 says the Sox have contacted Tampa Bay in regards to Carl Crawford.. How many times do you guys think KW has tried to swing a deal for Crawford? Do we even have a decent package to offer them?

Levine says Cubs talked to Rays too. Rays seeking young pitching.

I think the headliner would be Josh Fields in a deal like this. I recall Ozzie saying near the end of the year that if they could move Fields to bring back a big time player he'd be in favor of it. If anyone needs me to get a link- I will. I'll just go ahead and believe you'll take my word for it for now.

QUOTE(rockren @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
I think the headliner would be Josh Fields in a deal like this. I recall Ozzie saying near the end of the year that if they could move Fields to bring back a big time player he'd be in favor of it. If anyone needs me to get a link- I will. I'll just go ahead and believe you'll take my word for it for now.

They are not giving up Fields right now. It makes no sense. The Rays are filled with great position players in their system, and need pitching.

If the Rays move Crawford to us, it will be around pitching.

I think the headliner would be Josh Fields in a deal like this.

Nah. Tampa already has more quality 3B prospects than any team in MLB. In fact, they have too many. Not likely they're going to move their most tradeable asset to get another one. They've got other needs.

Edited by scenario

That type of package makes little sense for both teams.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
Nah. Tampa already has more quality 3B prospects than any team in MLB. In fact, they have too many. Not likely they're going to move their most tradeable asset to get another one. They've got other needs.

I thought about that as well and that could very well be the case.

However, I feel Fields would rank above any of those players at 3B. If they didn't agree, Fields would be a LF candidate to replace Crawman as well.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 12:02 PM)
The White Sox lose their best young hitter, and the Rays don't need any more bats.

You don't trade Fields unless you get a superstar type player (or close to superstar); Carl Crawford is not a superstar.

Thank you for your elaboration.

I agree with the first part, but totally disagree with the second part.

QUOTE(rockren @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
I thought about that as well and that could very well be the case.

However, I feel Fields would rank above any of those players at 3B. If they didn't agree, Fields would be a LF candidate to replace Crawman as well.

Fields does not come close to Evan Longoria at 3B. Longoria is an absolute stud. The D-Rays would not be interested in Fields unless they could move him to some other team for something they want.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 5, 2007 -> 12:06 PM)
Fields does not come close to Evan Longoria at 3B. Longoria is an absolute stud. The D-Rays would not be interested in Fields unless they could move him to some other team for something they want.

Agreed. I missed the bus and forgot about Longoria.