Rowand out of picture

spiderman

Rowand out of picture

Crisp a more likely target for Sox; Taveras a possibility

November 28, 2007

BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com

It's an easy assumption to make.

Chicago SunTimes Link

The White Sox watched the Los Angeles Angels nab Torii Hunter from their grasp for 90 million reasons last week, and they're still in the market for a center fielder.

Meanwhile, South Side cult hero Aaron Rowand, who never has met a center-field wall that he wouldn't try to run through, is at home in Las Vegas, still a free agent.

Easy, right? Wrong.

According to a Sox source close to the situation, Rowand actually was Plan 1-A this offseason, and the Sox contacted him before they started talking numbers with Hunter to see if the sides were in the same neighborhood. They weren't even in the same area code.

While no details were offered, preliminary talks with Rowand did not even get past the number of years. In other words, the man who patrolled center field like a Rottweiler for the Sox from 2001 to '05 likely will remain a memory in the minds of Sox fans while he entertains possible offers from the Texas Rangers and Los Angeles Dodgers.

What that means for general manager Ken Williams is he will continue to work the phones in hopes of landing a proven center fielder in a trade. And the name that still is being whispered around U.S. Cellular Field is Boston's Coco Crisp.

The Red Sox have become crowded in the outfield with the emergence of Jacoby Ellsbury, and Williams is all too familiar with Crisp and his .316 batting average (62-for-196) against the White Sox since 2004.

The teams know each other well, considering the Red Sox were heavily scouting the White Sox in June, when they came close to making a deal for pitcher Mark Buehrle.

Another possibility for Williams could be trying to revisit a trade for speedy Willy Taveras. The Sox were in talks with Houston last winter about Taveras, whom the Astros eventually traded to Colorado. Williams could try to use third baseman Joe Crede to get a deal done with the Rockies at the winter meetings next week.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 07:05 AM)
Rowand out of picture

Crisp a more likely target for Sox; Taveras a possibility

November 28, 2007

BY JOE COWLEY jcowley@suntimes.com

It's an easy assumption to make.

Chicago SunTimes Link

The White Sox watched the Los Angeles Angels nab Torii Hunter from their grasp for 90 million reasons last week, and they're still in the market for a center fielder.

Meanwhile, South Side cult hero Aaron Rowand, who never has met a center-field wall that he wouldn't try to run through, is at home in Las Vegas, still a free agent.

Easy, right? Wrong.

According to a Sox source close to the situation, Rowand actually was Plan 1-A this offseason, and the Sox contacted him before they started talking numbers with Hunter to see if the sides were in the same neighborhood. They weren't even in the same area code.

I meant to bring this up last week. He said they were at Plan B after saying there was a Plan 1A and 1B, then Plan B. I assumed he meant 1B, which apparently was Hunter, but KW would slip something like that in.

On the other hand, KW did say that they were on track to land the guy they wanted for the last two seasons, so that might still be Rowand.

Interesting article anyway.

Its not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand's price will come down from what he wanted earlier, but I'd prefer Crisp myself. Besides being a lot cheaper, if he regains his Cleveland offensive form, the guy is only 1 year older than Owens, he could be a .300 hitter with a .340 OBP with 15 homers and 25 steals while playing solid defense. Is Torii Hunter a real good bet to put up similar numbers the next 5 years ? The White Sox apparently were willing to pay him $15 million a year. Crisp has been banged up in Boston, and some people aren't comfortable there either. See Edgar Renteria. For the money they were going to give Hunter, they can pay Crisp and Fukodome should he decide to come over. Seems to me it would be a much better plan.

Edited by Dick Allen

white sox have make decision whether they want a number 5 or 6 hitter in center or get at top of the lineup. Number of names you can say with number 5 hitter to trade for or sign free agency Rowand, Jones, Burrell, etc. or get a leadoff hitter which the w sox need Patterson, Crisp, Taveras, Crawford,... or just keep owens sign cheap left fielder and sign 2 starting ptichers to rotation which looks bad in backend.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 06:44 AM)
Cowely sources have been wrong last yr. Going through the whole buerhle about to sign to buerhle souces saying it was dead. I love the part where says trade crede to rockies for taveras when atkins is in colordao

No s***.

If this is true, then it goes against everything the Sox (KW and JR) have been saying. If you are serious about building a championship team, like they say, you are going to have to pay people, simple as that. Since the Sox have one of the worst farm systems in baseball, we can't build from within, thus we must go out and sign free agents. And unfortunately, good free agents cost money, but it pisses me off the Sox never go out and get the big fish.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 07:54 AM)
If this is true, then it goes against everything the Sox (KW and JR) have been saying. If you are serious about building a championship team, like they say, you are going to have to pay people, simple as that. Since the Sox have one of the worst farm systems in baseball, we can't build from within, thus we must go out and sign free agents. And unfortunately, good free agents cost money, but it pisses me off the Sox never go out and get the big fish.

Eh don't be so upset. The off-season isn't over yet and Hunter wasn't worth the $$$ that even the WSox were willing to give him let alone what Anaheim did.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 07:01 AM)
Its not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand's price will come down from what he wanted earlier, but I'd prefer Crisp myself. Besides being a lot cheaper, if he regains his Cleveland offensive form, the guy is only 1 year older than Owens, he could be a .300 hitter with a .340 OBP with 15 homers and 25 steals while playing solid defense. Is Torii Hunter a real good bet to put up similar numbers the next 5 years ? The White Sox apparently were willing to pay him $15 million a year. Crisp has been banged up in Boston, and some people aren't comfortable there either. See Edgar Renteria. For the money they were going to give Hunter, they can pay Crisp and Fukodome should he decide to come over. Seems to me it would be a much better plan.

Its also possible the Sox realize they have to increase their price to Rowand or go into next year with Jerry Owens as their CF.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 07:01 AM)
Its not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand's price will come down from what he wanted earlier, but I'd prefer Crisp myself

But what would you be willing to give up to get him? BOS supposedly wanted Laird and a top pitching prospect from Texas. The Sox might have to work out a three-way trade to fit what BOS reportedly wants (catcher, right-handed setup man, lefty corner infielder). The Sox have little value to move to get this done without opening up a huge hole on the major league roster -- it seems like the only things the Sox have to trade that have real value are Gio and DLS. It seems like at least one of them plus some other stuff would have to get moved to get Crisp.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
But what would you be willing to give up to get him? BOS supposedly wanted Laird and a top pitching prospect from Texas. The Sox might have to work out a three-way trade to fit what BOS reportedly wants (catcher, right-handed setup man, lefty corner infielder). The Sox have little value to move to get this done without opening up a huge hole on the major league roster -- it seems like the only things the Sox have to trade that have real value are Gio and DLS. It seems like at least one of them plus some other stuff would have to get moved to get Crisp.

There is NO WAY that the Sox will deal Gio or DLS for Crisp. He isn't worth either one of those guys. Especially if the Sox want to continue to try to pry Miguel Cabrera from the Marlins.

I wouldn't mind it if the Sox can get Crisp for a reasonable price (NO GIO or DLS!) And then throw in all your marbles at getting Cabrera or Crawford... Maybe that is what he is trying to do afterall... who knows....

I can go for a

Crisp

Cabrera

Cabrera

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Crede

AJ

Richar

OR

Crawford

Cabrera

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Crede

AJ

Crisp

Richar

If Kenny can significantly improve the lineup without tapping into free agency i would be okay with that.

Trying to use Crede to get a deal done with the Rockies does not necessarily mean that Crede would end up playing for the Rockies. He could be used in a 3 way deal. I think Rowand may have been the first choice at about 4/40. I think KW would much rather whip out the big bucks for Jones who has been rumored to be unhappy with Boras again. As I've said before, I'd love Rowand back but not at the price the market has set for him. This could all be misinformation and Rowand is on the phone with KW right now.

I suppose I'd be OK with an acquisition of Crisp as long as Owens isn't in the lineup. If we're getting Crisp to play center with, say, Crawford or Cabrera or Burrell in left I'm ecstatic. I'd even be ok with Crisp in center, Fields in left, Crede at third (I'm still working on fathering Crede's kid if that's in any way possible). If the plan is to get Crisp to play center and leadoff with Owens playing left and batting 9th, then I'm far from impressed and would in fact be quite pissed.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
As I've said before, I'd love Rowand back but not at the price the market has set for him.

Great point. The market has set the price. Hunter's contract was good for another $5 to $10 mil for Rowand and the others.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 06:44 AM)
Cowely sources have been wrong last yr. Going through the whole buerhle about to sign to buerhle souces saying it was dead. I love the part where says trade crede to rockies for taveras when atkins is in colordao

And this isn't even mentioning the fact that they also have Ian Stewart as well (although now they are considering moving him to 2b to replace Matsui).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 10:55 AM)
So who else is excited about the prospect of an Owens, Crisp, Dye OF next year?

I honestly would be excited about adding Crisp to our OF. However, the OF threesome you mention is certainly not one to get very excited about. I would hope that if we were to add Crisp, we would also look to add a big bat like Andruw Jones.

Would you be excited about an OF of Crisp, Jones, Dye? I would....

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 08:58 AM)
I honestly would be excited about adding Crisp to our OF. However, the OF threesome you mention is certainly not one to get very excited about. I would hope that if we were to add Crisp, we would also look to add a big bat like Andruw Jones.

Would you be excited about an OF of Crisp, Jones, Dye? I would....

Honestly, taking into account that we don't have talent to give up to get a guy like Crisp, Owens is cheaper, and the only thing Crisp looks better than Owens in with the bat is slugging, while Owens put up a similar batting average and OBP as a rookie with a disasterous first callup holding his numbers back, I'd be more excited about Owens, Jones, Dye. To my eyes, Crisp seems like pretty much the worst CF option out on the market outside of Cameron. Say what you want about his poor numbers being due to injury the last 2 years...why should I expect he'd be healthier this year?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
Owens, Anderson, Dye but we save millions of dollars :headbang

If Brian Anderson was going to be our CF next year, we might as well have let Dye and Buehrle walk for draft picks. I've been one of his biggest backers the last few years, and even I'll say that this team can not even consider penciling him in to CF next April. If he (or Sweeney) came out and set the world on fire in ST and in AAA for a month, and there's an opening in the OF, then maybe you'd consider bringing them up, but that's a desperation move, and it only really works if there's an injury or if our opening day OF is Fields, Owens, Dye (because Fields can be moved to 3rd base if we decide to create an opening)