Gonzalez #24 on MiLB's Top 50 Prospects

Calderon

Minor League Baseball.com is unveiling their Top 50 Prospect list over the course of five days, with ten prospects per day.

Today, the first (and probably only) White Sox farmhand appeared on the list, as Gio Gonzalez checked in at #24, sandwiched between Arizona's Carlos Gonzalez (23) and Texas' Eric Hurley (25). Here's what they said about Gonzalez:

The lefty had a very successful year in the White Sox organization, leading the Minor Leagues in strikeouts while keeping Southern League hitters scratching their heads all season long. Gonzalez can throw three pitches for strikes, with a pretty good fastball, one of the best curveballs in the Minors and a pretty good changeup. There's been some concern about his durability because of his size, but he's reached 150 innings in each of the past two seasons, answering most of those questions.

It's clear Gonzalez, at the very least, is ready to move up after two seasons at the Double-A level. That might mean a year of Triple-A at age 22, which certainly wouldn't hurt. But if someone in Chicago's rotation should falter in 2008, Gonzalez should be more than ready to step in.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/ne...&pid=461829

Edited by Calderon

QUOTE(buckweaver @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 09:56 AM)
Perhaps they just listed all prospects alphabetically.

At first I thought you were joking, and it was funny, but looking at the guys before and after, I think you may be right.

But you aren't, so back to :headbang :lolhitting

It's really no surprise that only one sox player has made this list so far, our farm system doesn't really get many props from the rest of baseball. I wouldn't be surprised to see DLS somewhere in the 15-20 range though, he's pretty nasty. I would've thought that Carter would've made the top 50 though

QUOTE(bighurt4life @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 08:27 PM)
It's really no surprise that only one sox player has made this list so far, our farm system doesn't really get many props from the rest of baseball. I wouldn't be surprised to see DLS somewhere in the 15-20 range though, he's pretty nasty. I would've thought that Carter would've made the top 50 though

DLS might have a shot at being top 10 in BA's lists next year if he repeats his performance at AA this year.

QUOTE(bighurt4life @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)

I can come up with about 10 other young hitters in A ball, equal or better than Carter, who didn't make the list.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(Calderon @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 08:20 PM)
I don't think this warrants its own thread, so I assume this is the proper place to put it since we've talked about prospect rankings, but Aaron Cunningham was named the #7 prospect in the Arizona system by Baseball America.

With some guy named Chris Carter #8....

They'd rank 3, 4 in the Sox system.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 08:31 PM)
With some guy named Chris Carter #8....

They'd rank 3, 4 in the Sox system.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....food-for-t.html

5. The White Sox farm system is a candidate to be ranked 29th among the 30 in baseball when Baseball America gets around to issuing its off-season ratings. Only Houston is considered worse, and one editor for BA joked that Williams might be making a run for 30 by dealing Chris Carter to Arizona for Quentin.

Carter had tentatively been listed as the White Sox's sixth best prospect in the BA rankings, which will run in a future issue. With his ability to hit for power (25 homers, 93 RBIs in 126 games at low-A Kannapolis last season), he was considered the organization's best hitting prospect when he was dealt. The same was true for outfielder Aaron Cunningham when Williams traded him to the Diamondbacks for Richar last summer.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 09:16 PM)

Phil Rogers makes the Sox list. If Carter is 6, and is "the Sox best position prospect," that means there are 5 pitchers in front of him....

Gio and DLS are obvious. (and all who I'd rank ahead of Carter/Cunningham) but I struggle to come up with 3 more who are arguably better prospects than the Arizona duo.

You could argue Egbert based on numbers, but most BA writers don't think he has much of a ceiling. Back-of-the-rotation candidate... You could argue Poreda based on his draft position and the high upside of a 97MPH lefty ( I wouldn't, but you could)

After that, you've got nothing.... Broadway? McCulloch? Haeger? Russell?

The only logical name you can throw ahead of Carter along with Gio, DLS, Egbert, and Poreda is Sweeney, which seemingly by definition makes him the Sox top position prospect.

"5. The White Sox farm system is a candidate to be ranked 29th among the 30 in baseball when Baseball America gets around to issuing its off-season ratings. Only Houston is considered worse, and one editor for BA joked that Williams might be making a run for 30 by dealing Chris Carter to Arizona for Quentin."

I don't buy this, even as things stand now, having looked at many of the Baseball Prospectus team rankings. Sure we're not close to #1, but I don't think we're that close to #30. Not only that, but some things affecting this all important list have completely nothing to do with the farm system, or our "prospects." For example, if Crede doesn't get injured last year, or if he gets injured later in the season, Fields is still on our all-knowing all-powerful BA prospects list. Same thing with Richar if the Sox were closer to in contention, or simply did not trade Iguchi. Regardless, the outcome of this tardo list does not imply "the sox have no good young players" or "everyone on the White Sox is an old declining has been."

5 guys with less than a full season in MLB, John Danks, Josh Fields, Carlos Quentin, Gavin Floyd, Danny Richar are likely expected to be among the starting pitchers/position players next year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 08:58 PM)
I'd say based on Broadway's 1 start in the majors, he may be the guy who Rogers has instead of Carter.

Not that I'm saying that's right, but that's the only logic I could come up with.

10.1 IP, 14/5 K/BB, 1 ER and a .97 WHIP will "help" too I suppose...he was dominant, see!