Rowand not ruling out return to South Side

Chisox_fan

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 12:38 AM)
Rowand wants 5 year deal, but Sox are only going to give him 4 years. Bay is someone who I thought KW might be interested in, but the Pirates are supposedly asking for the moon for him. The Fukodome stuff is interesting, as earlier today there were rumblings that the Sox weren't interested in him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7506740

Interesting news regarding Jason Bay. Would be a great addition, but I agree, I've heard the Bucs want a ton for him, and they don't need a third basemen, as they would like to play Neil Walker there. They'd probably be looking to get at least one of Danks/Gio, as well as a young OF'er to replace Bay, as well as an additional piece or two. I think I read Bay will only make about $13 million total over the next two years, so he would be relatively inexpensive. But the price in prospects has to be reasonable.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
Fields is still young enough were I don't think it's set in stone he is a 3b. Fields could take over for Bay in LF if included in a trade.

Fair point. They also may be willing to take on Uribe if they deal Jack Wilson to the Cardinals.

So they need $10 million to get Rowand. They drew 2,684,395 fans last year, so they need about $3.75 more per head. Figuring in the cost of the vendors and the paying the brewery, if each fan had roughly one more beer per game the White Sox could pay him from the net. I, for one, am willing to do my part.

I can't see how that 5th year should be a deal breaker. Some sort of option/buyout could be added for that fifth year with incentives added to make it fair enough to Rowand. Unless it is a respect issue with Aaron, it should be possible to overcome. Give the man his full no trade.

I'd love to get Fukodome in Left as well even if it meant trading Konerko. The often suggested/speculated Figgins/Kotchman/? for Konerko/Crede would work. This would add even more speed to the team.

Figgins 2B

Cabrera SS

Thome DH

Dye RF

Fukodome LF

Rowand CF

Fields 3B

AJ C

Kotchman 1B

I'd love that lineup with its much higher OBP and speed. These moves could be achieved without draining the Sox of their young talent. Trading for Miggy or Bay would drain the system of talent. Add another Japanese pitcher and a Colon/Freddie/Clement rehab project and call it an offseason.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:01 AM)
The Sox were willing to go 5 years for Hunter, but not for Rowand? That's absolutely ridiculous; Rowand's the better bet to age well and stay healthy over the duration of a 5 year deal, not Hunter. If that extra year keeps Rowand from signing, I'll be a bit upset.

Look at the injury history. Age is the only advantage Rowand has over Hunter. I would give Rowand a 5 year deal.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 08:32 AM)
Figgins 2B

Cabrera SS

Thome DH

Dye RF

Fukodome LF

Rowand CF

Fields 3B

AJ C

Kotchman 1B

I kinda like this lineup as well, but I think Fukodome may end up in RF with Dye moving to LF, just an idea. I heard Fukodome can more than easily handle RF and Dye coule probably be rejuvinated by moving to a less demanding position.

Now...if we were to trade PK and Crede, it would get us back more than Figgins and Kotchman in my view.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove07/c...&id=3135031

Aaron Rowand

The Phillies, for the moment, plan to focus on pitching and third base and go with an outfield of Pat Burrell in left field, Shane Victorino in center and a combination of Jayson Werth and Greg Dobbs in right field. They'd love to upgrade in right field, but Geoff Jenkins is too pricey for their tastes. And while they'd like to keep Rowand, even a four-year deal for $10 million-plus annually seems beyond their comfort zone.

Aaron Rowand

Center Field

Philadelphia Phillies

2007 Season Stats GM HR RBI R OBP AVG

161 27 89 105 .374 .309

The anticipated love-fest between Rowand and the White Sox has hit a few snags. First, the White Sox made Torii Hunter their priority, and Rowand prepared to go in a different direction. The two sides rekindled talks once Hunter signed with the Angels, but they've made zero progress.

The Sox don't want to go beyond four years, and Rowand and his agent, Landis, are seeking a minimum of five. "That was our biggest point of disagreement," Landis said.

As the Rowand camp points out, Juan Pierre, Gary Matthews, J.D. Drew and Hunter are among the outfielders who've signed five-year deals recently. And Carlos Lee, no fitness buff, got six years from Houston. The White Sox were also prepared to give five years and $75 million to Hunter, who's two years older than Rowand.

Chicago GM Kenny Williams declined to comment on the Rowand situation to ESPN.com. "I prefer to do things quietly," he said. But the Chicago Sun-Times reported Wednesday that the White Sox have decided the gap with Rowand is too vast, and they've turned the page and will focus on Coco Crisp, Willy Taveras and other trade options.

The question is, have the White Sox really ruled out Rowand, or is Williams just laying low as a negotiating ploy to get Rowand and his representatives to lower their expectations?

"I think Kenny thinks [Rowand] wants to go back there so badly, he'll give them a hometown discount," said a National League executive. "That sounds like Kenny playing hardball to me."

Meanwhile, according to Landis, "There are some teams interested in Aaron that haven't been written about in any articles I've seen."

The Dodgers, Yankees, Nationals and Twins have all been mentioned as potential Rowand shoppers, and word is that Baltimore dipped a toe in the water on him. While Rowand would be a welcome presence in the Orioles' clubhouse, it's hard to envision GM Andy MacPhail springing for a five-year deal for $60 million-plus. The Orioles seem more interested in ridding themselves of big contracts than taking on another one.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 07:56 AM)
Look at the injury history. Age is the only advantage Rowand has over Hunter. I would give Rowand a 5 year deal.

Rowand has injured himself using an ATV and by running face first into a fence. Hunter has had ankle injuries and played on artificial turf; doesn't it seem fair to think that Rowand is also a better to stay healthy?

Hunter's on Rome right now and said that the lesser divisional competition in the AL West (vs. what he would've faced in Chicago) was a part of his decision to sign with the Angels. Perhaps that's a nice way of saying that he expects the Sox to suck again next year?

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
I kinda like this lineup as well, but I think Fukodome may end up in RF with Dye moving to LF, just an idea. I heard Fukodome can more than easily handle RF and Dye coule probably be rejuvinated by moving to a less demanding position.

Now...if we were to trade PK and Crede, it would get us back more than Figgins and Kotchman in my view.

Why do you think LF would be less demanding? I'd think that'd be worse because there are more hits to left than right. Unless you just mean no throws from RF to 3B?

Edited by Markbilliards

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)
Hunter's on Rome right now and said that the lesser divisional competition in the AL West (vs. what he would've faced in Chicago) was a part of his decision to sign with the Angels. Perhaps that's a nice way of saying that he expects the Sox to suck again next year?

Well he was also just on with Waddle and Silvy saying the same thing and he's absolutely right the only competition the Angels will have in the West next year is the Mariners and they don't really scare anybody. Anaheim has the easiest path to the playoffs of any team in baseball. Torii did say that KW's plan is brilliant and that Sox fans are going to love it but who the hell knows if he truly believes what he says. He did say that 2 things in KW's plan have already come to fruition with the Cabrera trade and the Linebrink signing so if he is telling the truth that's a good sign.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 12:42 PM)
Why do you think LF would be less demanding? I'd think that'd be worse because there are more hits to left than right. Unless you just mean no throws from RF to 3B?

Id rather have a quicker RF than LF as you have more margin for error playing left, because the extra bases are coming right at you, whereas, taking the extra base is going away from the RF. So the arm is part of it, but quickness in getting to the ball is another. If Dye's arm is markedly better than Fukodome's then I'd keep him in RF. If the arms are similiar, I'd take the guy who can run better.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Well he was also just on with Waddle and Silvy saying the same thing and he's absolutely right the only competition the Angels will have in the West next year is the Mariners and they don't really scare anybody. Anaheim has the easiest path to the playoffs of any team in baseball. Torii did say that KW's plan is brilliant and that Sox fans are going to love it but who the hell knows if he truly believes what he says. He did say that 2 things in KW's plan have already come to fruition with the Cabrera trade and the Linebrink signing so if he is telling the truth that's a good sign.

Well that's interesting. I can't wait to see what the other brilliant ideas are...

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 11:29 AM)

Or expects the AL West to suck, and the Angles to be the very clear favorite.

I love when athletes try to come up with reasons they signed other than just saying "X team offered me significantly more money than anyone else".

I know. Rome had to be grinning when he was saying that stuff.

It's about the money in free agency. Once in a while you get a hometown discount, but

only from guys already on the team considering free agency.

Otherwise it's always the highest bidder ... see Johnny Damon going from one rival

to another.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 05:53 PM)
Yep...Rowand would be great for the Sox...but not for over $10 mil a year. Sorry A-Row, but hustle and one awesome year at the plate doesn't make you an elite player.

Unfortunately, I think when the Aaron Rowands of the world get $10+ million per, it isnt a talent evaluation error. It's just the new price for that caliber of player.