Haren to D-Backs

sircaffey

From Rotoworld:

Dan Haren is being traded to Arizona for Carlos Gonzalez, pitchers Brett Anderson, Greg Smith and Dana Eveland, outfielder Aaron Cunningham and first baseman Chris Carter.

That's five of Arizona's top 10 prospects, plus Eveland, who no longer qualified. The A's are really going for quantity over quality here, which is pretty surprising. Gonzalez has star potential, but plate discipline is a big issue. Anderson is clearly the best bet of the pitchers. Smith and Eveland are more bottom-of-the-rotation guys, but Anderson could be a No. 2 in time. Now that Haren is gone, the A's might as well trade Joe Blanton, too.

That can't make you feel happy, knowing we had 2 of the pieces in our system.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
From Rotoworld:

That can't make you feel happy, knowing we had 2 of the pieces in our system.

Well, when I look at it and see that we got Quentin and Richar for that...and that was only what, half of what it took to get Haren, yes it does, because that makes me feel like either the D-Backs gave up a ton to get Haren or that we made out pretty well on Quentin and Richar.

Damn... the Athletics made out in this one, and the D-Backs got their guy. A good deal for both clubs... I hadn't realized Eveland had cooled off as far as hot prospects go, but I still like this return for Oakland as well.

And I'm all for any deal that gets a stud out of the AL, those never seem to happen.

Seems like a solid move for each team. Dbacks gave up two high ceiling guys (Gonzalez and Carter) and Carter's ceiling is limited because he's a first baseman (but he has massive power potential) and than a bunch of solid but not star studded prospects (aside from Anderson who is apparently pretty solid, but not as good of a prospect as Gio, imo).

Haren/Webb is a real good 1/2.

Just look at that pitching:

Webb, Haren, Davis, Owings, Randy Johnson, Petit, Edgar Gonzalez, Qualls, Pena, Cruz, Lyon, Medders, Slaten.

They'll have guys in AAA better than the 2nd or 3rd best RP on some teams. That is astonishing depth, even assuming Randy Johnson gets hurt again. They don't need to hit with all that, and with that said you assume their young hitters will improve. Might see these guys keep breaking the Cubs hearts for the next few years, and I approve.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
Just look at that pitching:

Webb, Haren, Davis, Owings, Randy Johnson, Petit, Edgar Gonzalez, Qualls, Pena, Cruz, Lyon, Medders, Slaten.

They'll have guys in AAA better than the 2nd or 3rd best RP on some teams. That is astonishing depth, even assuming Randy Johnson gets hurt again. They don't need to hit with all that, and with that said you assume their young hitters will improve. Might see these guys keep breaking the Cubs hearts for the next few years, and I approve.

I wouldn't just talk about them. Aside from the Giants, the amount of young talent in that division is extraordinary. The Dodgers are loaded, the D-Backs are loaded, and the Rockies just went to the series.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 04:07 PM)
So does this make a deal for a major bat the next thing they do. Do they have enough prospects to get that bat? We know they have an extra pitcher to deal, but they'd need more than just that, imo.

Aside from 1b, where does that squad have room to insert a bat?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 06:05 PM)
I wouldn't just talk about them. Aside from the Giants, the amount of young talent in that division is extraordinary. The Dodgers are loaded, the D-Backs are loaded, and the Rockies just went to the series.

True enough, you've got 2 really good teams and a 3rd on the rise (Dodgers) in that division. They should be winning every pennant in that league for a while, as ESPN will continue to be bewildered as to why the NL East will keep losing to them, unaware that young talent is more relevant than payroll.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
Btw, does it seem to anyone else like the A's got a bigger haul for Haren than they did for Hudson + Mulder combined?

They got a king's ransom for Mulder (Daric Barton, Dan Haren, and Kiko Calero) and turned out to rob St. Louis blind, so I can't agree with this. They got a very underwhelming package for Mulder (Charles Thomas, Dan Meyer, and Juan Cruz) that worked out to look even worse 3 years later than it did on the day of the trade, but Hudson was coming up on a contract year, and I believe that deal was the winter before said season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Btw, does it seem to anyone else like the A's got a bigger haul for Haren than they did for Hudson + Mulder combined?

Well, that's hard to say. In the Mulder trade, they got back Haren, whom they just got 6 players for...so they basically got a few good seasons out of Haren from the Mulder trade, plus 6 additional players...

The Royals trade for a 2nd baseman, and get this from the Diamondbacks.

Alberto Callaspo, Diamondbacks

As a middle infielder, Callaspo was in the wrong system with the Angels, but one would think they could have gotten more for him in a trade than Jason Bulger, who admittedly has power stuff, but is also 27 years old with a history of injuries and control problems. The most contact-oriented hitter in the minor leagues, Callaspo has struck out 128 times in his career, which now spans 2,527 at-bats. After batting just .222 in April, Callaspo has hit .360 since, and in the month of May--when he hit .371 in 116 at-bats--he whiffed only once. Expressed as a ratio, that's one strikeout for every 116 at-bats--and you guys thought I was just the scouting guy with no statistical skills. The best defensive second baseman on this list, Callaspo was moved to second base by the Angels in deference to Erick Aybar, but he has the skills to play on the left side of the infield and has even seen time at third base this year. Adding to his prospect status is 43 walks, which is already just four off his career high with seven weeks remaining in his season. Where he fits into Arizona's plans is up in the air, but he could be an inexpensive upgrade over Orlando Hudson.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
So does this make a deal for a major bat the next thing they do. Do they have enough prospects to get that bat? We know they have an extra pitcher to deal, but they'd need more than just that, imo.

I think with the added improvement of their young studs, their offense should be pretty good next year. 1B is the only place where they could really add a bat, but with Chad Tracy coming back healthy and the emergence of Reynolds, I really think they will have a pretty good offense already. Top to bottom, there really are no weak links. I would say that Konerko would be a very good fit. If we could get Jackson, a bullpen arm, and Scherzer I would be very satisfied. Don't know how they feel about dealing Scherzer though as he wasn't in the Haren deal, and that tells me he may be off limits.

Edited by sircaffey

Haren was in the Mulder trade, so they got all these guys + 3 years of Haren + Barton and Calero for Mulder. Then add what they got for Hudson: Juan Cruz, Dan Meyer, and Charles Thomas.

Trade good pitchers and you get alot back.