Confirmed interest in Prior

NCsoxfan

The hottest free-agent starting pitcher on the market is a guy who has one win in the past 27 months and probably won't throw a pitch before Mother's Day. That's Mark Prior, a fellow being chased by nearly a dozen teams. And here they are, according to the best info we've been able to piece together:

Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox and Mariners in the AL. Mets, Cardinals, Padres, Astros, Giants, Reds and Nationals in the NL.

Some teams that have passed on Prior are saying they don't expect him to pitch before July. Others are concerned that he opted "only" for arthroscopic shoulder surgery over more extensive surgery. But his agent, John Boggs, told Rumblings that Prior is so confident he'll have a big year, he isn't even interested in a two-year deal.

"That's why a two-year deal is not acceptable -- because we're planning on him being good," said Boggs, who has continually declined to discuss the degree of interest from any specific teams. "We're not planning on taking a two-year deal and then having him break down. … We're not even looking for one year and an option. We'll take our chances."

Prior is now eight months down the road from surgery and is expected to start throwing off a mound in January. Boggs has been advising teams not even to expect Prior to pitch in a game in spring training. While some clubs are already firing offers at him, Prior is in no hurry to "rush the process," his agent said.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No big surprise to me that we are kicking the tires on Mark Prior. I'll bet we are also wispering to Garcia and Colon as well. It also means that the whole Kenny line that everyone went crazy about was crap as well, like a few of us were trying to tell everyone. Kenny doesn't think Danks and Floyd are top flight pitchers, but he has to say that they are. His actions are what we should watch, not his words. The entire planet knows he is full of s***.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
I think the Mets, Yankees and Red Sox will bid each other up to keep him away from other teams, and he'll get a ton of cash to sit out at least until May

Maybe, but if Prior is smart he won't go to a team that's in the national spot light like that. That will only add to the pressure. Of course, he probably wouldn't want to stay in Chicago because he might still be a lightening rod.

He'll probably end up in a big park like San Diego where he might get some starts in important games down the stretch but won't have the scrutiny of other cities.

Unfortunately, because Prior wants multiple years with guarenteed money, the Sox are not going to be in the race. He still is a valuable pitching commodity because he was one of the five best pitchers in baseball only three years ago. And he is only 27, someone will bid $3+ million on the guy--and it won't be the Sox.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 08:05 AM)
Unfortunately, because Prior wants multiple years with guarenteed money, the Sox are not going to be in the race. He still is a valuable pitching commodity because he was one of the five best pitchers in baseball only three years ago. And he is only 27, someone will bid $3+ million on the guy--and it won't be the Sox.

3+ million? Do you mean 30+? Because for 3/year, that's quite a risk worth taking.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 08:05 AM)

Prior does NOT want multiple years. He wants one year. He doesn't even want an option.

Here is a guy who is a shell of his former self...physically as well. Has anyone wondered why he's dropped so much weight in those legs which USED to be tree trunks and now look like those of a ballet dancer??

And his agent is blowing smoke about not even wanting a 2 yr deal- as he knows no team in their right mind would even consider giving that to him, he knows the best he will get is a one yr deal, unless there are stupider teams out there than I even think...

However, some stupid team will probably give him a one year deal and I hope it's not the Sox as I cannot envision this guy ever pitching in the bigs again. It's too bad as this guy really had some incredible talent with mechanics which appeared to be that of a Tom Seaver.

I am 100% surprised he wasn't named in the Mitchell report, he must have covered his tracks and kept it to himself when he was juicing.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 08:31 AM)
I would have no problem with the Sox giving the guy a two year deal, but Prior will probably get a 3 year offer from someone and at a $$ amount the Sox will not and probably should not match

Prior's agent has stated that they will not accept a multiyear deal. They believe after a one year deal, Prior will then be able to cash in.

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 08:31 AM)
I would have no problem with the Sox giving the guy a two year deal, but Prior will probably get a 3 year offer from someone and at a $$ amount the Sox will not and probably should not match

Why is no one reading the top post? HE DOESN'T WANT A MULTIYEAR DEAL!

Regardles... if we got one of Prior, Garcia, Colon... that'd be interesting.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 09:53 AM)
Why is no one reading the top post? HE DOESN'T WANT A MULTIYEAR DEAL!

Regardles... if we got one of Prior, Garcia, Colon... that'd be interesting.

Whoops...i did read it but did so quickly and for whatever reason thought i read they wanted a longer deal now b/c they know he'll be fine and didnt want a one year deal where he could get injured. My bad.

I think if KW was really in win now he would do what it takes to acquire Roberts/Bedard... ship whatever prospects besides Fields.... than take 1 year flyers on id say Colon and Prior. Not saying I would agree with that approach but that would be only way I could give this team a chance of contending next season.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 09:19 AM)
I think if KW was really in win now he would do what it takes to acquire Roberts/Bedard... ship whatever prospects besides Fields.... than take 1 year flyers on id say Colon and Prior. Not saying I would agree with that approach but that would be only way I could give this team a chance of contending next season.

I don't think the Sox have what it would take to get Roberts and Bedard.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 09:25 AM)
Signing Prior to a one year deal makes no sense for us. I can't see why he'd want to pitch here anyways, as he'll likely choose a big ballpark when he can perform better and then get a bigger contract next season.

I agree that he would have to be crazy to think pitching at USCF is going to help him maximize his dollars in 2009.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
I agree that he would have to be crazy to think pitching at USCF is going to help him maximize his dollars in 2009.

Rumors are he won't even be healthy until 2050. Wait, I mean the all-star break. I'll be surprised if he doesn't sign with the Padres.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
Rumors are he won't even be healthy until 2050. Wait, I mean the all-star break. I'll be surprised if he doesn't sign with the Padres.

Didn't the Padres just sign a few guys off the scrap heap though? Glendon Rusch? They also have Hensley sitting there....I don't think they really have room for him unless he signs for next to nothing...