Catch-All Anything Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Mplssoxfan @ May 4, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
I see enormous Dram Shop problems with this. It might work, but it'd be a problem making money.

there's also the fundamental disconnect between serving a lobby full of folks a few quick drinks and then expecting those folks to be quiet and respectful during the film.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 3, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)
This reminds me... having had many similar experiences, I always thought that if I had the capital to invest, I had a great idea for a theater experience. You build a more or less normal theatre, but the entrance has a very small bar. You can only enter if you are 21, period. You only have a very narrow selection of beers, and few seats, and you don't allow the booze into the theatre. You then also have an usher who actually stays IN the theatre for each movie, and actually tells people to be quiet if necessary (and asks them to leave, also, if necessary). You also make the warnings much more pronounced that if you start talking or annoying people or using your damn phone, you will be asked to leave (and then actually follow through). The overage you make on the booze sales could help with the extra usher costs, or you even add a dollar or two to the movie price.

What do you get? A theater with adults in it, no kids, and a respectful audience. All for a dollar or two more per person. I would gladly pay that difference for the experience.

You could also do this as only part of the theatre - these X number of screens are on the other side of the bar, the rest can be normal screens for families, teenagers, etc.

The new theater that is opening here in Normal actually applied for a liquor license. They planned on selling beer for movie goers. It narrowly got defeated however.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 4, 2008 -> 07:47 PM)
there's also the fundamental disconnect between serving a lobby full of folks a few quick drinks and then expecting those folks to be quiet and respectful during the film.

They do it during Broadway productions.

What's the difference?

QUOTE (knightni @ May 4, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)

What's the difference?

The crowd going to Broadway productions is pretty different than your average Saturday night movie crowd.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 4, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
The crowd going to Broadway productions is pretty different than your average Saturday night movie crowd.

Not necessarily.

I've been to see Spamalot in Chicago (off Broadway) and folks were a lot like the movie crowd.

If they had an over 21 area of the theater and charged a cover charge, they could get a "better" crowd.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 4, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)

What's the difference?

There are several, including the amount of money paid for tickets, the demeanor of theatergoers versus the Friday night movie crowd, the fact that there is an intermission in most liv theater productions, etc.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 4, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
Not necessarily.

I've been to see Spamalot in Chicago (off Broadway) and folks were a lot like the movie crowd.

If they had an over 21 area of the theater and charged a cover charge, they could get a "better" crowd.

Yeah, I'd say that's really off Broadway...

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ May 4, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
Hah, Mcfarlane should be able to sue the cr@p out of them. The mask is almost the exact reverse of Spawn mask.

Yeah, it is pretty close. Reading through that story, there is a lot that happened in the spiderman universe that I had no idea about. Scorpion is now Venom? Eddie Brock isnt? WTF??

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ May 5, 2008 -> 06:59 AM)
Yeah, it is pretty close. Reading through that story, there is a lot that happened in the spiderman universe that I had no idea about. Scorpion is now Venom? Eddie Brock isnt? WTF??

Yeah, I gave up on trying to keep up with the continuity of the 76 different monthly Spiderman titles a long time ago. :lolhitting

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 3, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
This reminds me... having had many similar experiences, I always thought that if I had the capital to invest, I had a great idea for a theater experience. You build a more or less normal theatre, but the entrance has a very small bar. You can only enter if you are 21, period. You only have a very narrow selection of beers, and few seats, and you don't allow the booze into the theatre. You then also have an usher who actually stays IN the theatre for each movie, and actually tells people to be quiet if necessary (and asks them to leave, also, if necessary). You also make the warnings much more pronounced that if you start talking or annoying people or using your damn phone, you will be asked to leave (and then actually follow through). The overage you make on the booze sales could help with the extra usher costs, or you even add a dollar or two to the movie price.

What do you get? A theater with adults in it, no kids, and a respectful audience. All for a dollar or two more per person. I would gladly pay that difference for the experience.

You could also do this as only part of the theatre - these X number of screens are on the other side of the bar, the rest can be normal screens for families, teenagers, etc.

Actually we already have that in Texas, but they bring the beer to your movie seat, and burgers. And the ushers/waitresses are there to shut up noisy patrons. One is opening about 5 minutes from my house.

The last 6 days have brought me a criminal procedure final, legal professions final, and trusts and estates final. That was awful and very difficult.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
The last 6 days have brought me a criminal procedure final, legal professions final, and trusts and estates final. That was awful and very difficult.

Yeah, I just got done with my last accounting test. I also had an English portfolio due. I hate those just so much.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)

anyone particularly harder out of those? I remember my evidence final being such a nightmare, like lying awake at night worrying I failed it (I didn't, got a B on a curve)

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 7, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
anyone particularly harder out of those? I remember my evidence final being such a nightmare, like lying awake at night worrying I failed it (I didn't, got a B on a curve)

Criminal Procedure and Trusts and Estates. Legal professions was exactly as I expected it to be so that was ok. The other two were totally ridiculous. Apparently the high score from last year in T&E was like 40% for this professor. Meanwhile, one of the deans at the school said that criminal procedure is the hardest exam at the school. Believe me, they both lived up to their billing.

I remember evidence being the same way. I got a B+ on what must have been a massive curve.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 7, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
Criminal Procedure and Trusts and Estates. Legal professions was exactly as I expected it to be so that was ok. The other two were totally ridiculous. Apparently the high score from last year in T&E was like 40% for this professor. Meanwhile, one of the deans at the school said that criminal procedure is the hardest exam at the school. Believe me, they both lived up to their billing.

I remember evidence being the same way. I got a B+ on what must have been a massive curve.

The T & E for me wasn't bad (called Wills and Trusts at DePaul). It was straightforward, I think I got like a B because it wasn't overly hard and it was curved. Basically the prof threw in a few hidden gems and those who nailed those got the As.

The easiest for me was my Family Law class. I was clerking at a family law firm at the time and a lot of people in the class had little to no experience with it. The final was basically what I was doing 20-30 hours a week at my job!

I guess the hardest one I remember dealing with was Evidence... of course not counting the ultimate final THE BAR EXAM!!!!!

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ May 7, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
The T & E for me wasn't bad (called Wills and Trusts at DePaul). It was straightforward, I think I got like a B because it wasn't overly hard and it was curved. Basically the prof threw in a few hidden gems and those who nailed those got the As.

The easiest for me was my Family Law class. I was clerking at a family law firm at the time and a lot of people in the class had little to no experience with it. The final was basically what I was doing 20-30 hours a week at my job!

I guess the hardest one I remember dealing with was Evidence... of course not counting the ultimate final THE BAR EXAM!!!!!

Well I still have another year until the Bar, and I have to figure out whether I'm moving back to Chicago or staying in New York. But I am definitely sick of these exams.

Today at work, I have had 3 accountants call me to try and get me to switch, I had "Mitch" call me about my Yellow pages ad (Mitch of course sounding more like an Ali than a Mitch), 5 people trying to get me to invest in various things from stocks to a natural gas well, the phone company AGAIN calling me to tell me they lowered rates (by now they should be paying me with how many times they have supposedly lowered their rates), someone taking a survey on life insurance and a call from International Profit Associates. That last one was the best, as the asshole on the phone kept insisting that 'Frank' (which is ME) made an appointment with him for tomorrow to have him come and consult to me. I may be old, but I know I didn't make an appointment with ANYONE for tomorrow, much less those scumbags at IPA. The guy actually got angry with me and started yelling, and when I yelled back, the bastard hung up. Caller ID and his name allowed me to call him back and start yelling at him! Which he hung up on me again. So I called a third time, yelled some more, then hung up on him! Then called back and asked for a manager, explained to him what went on, and he pretty much said he didn't believe me and to please stop harassing his employees! That was a good one. So I complimented him on his ability to talk on the phone with his head so far up his ass he can see his small intestine and then hung up to go on about my day. (FYI, this is about the third time I have had an almost exact repeat of the same circumstances with IPD) Glad my sales calls aren't usually that exciting.

NASA to Announce Success of Long Galactic Hunt

WASHINGTON -- NASA has scheduled a media teleconference Wednesday, May 14, at 1 p.m. EDT, to announce the discovery of an object in our Galaxy astronomers have been hunting for more than 50 years. This finding was made by combining data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory with ground-based observations.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 3, 2008 -> 08:50 AM)

They have a theater like this in Woodridge. Ive been there a few times (believe it or not) They actually have waiters that get you food and drinks in the theater and most of the seats are at tables or desks almost. They have $11 pitchers of long islands specials and stuff too. Its an interesting idea, just doesnt seem to work very well. Its good for first dates though...

Hollywood BLVD

I just got done cleaning my room very thoroughly. The part that took the longest was taking out all of the keys on my keyboard, and cleaning the whole thing out. It's the first time I ever cleaned it, and I've had it over 4 years now. I'm sure there are plenty of jokes about what could've been in there, but it was freaking dirty.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ May 8, 2008 -> 10:36 PM)
I just got done cleaning my room very thoroughly. The part that took the longest was taking out all of the keys on my keyboard, and cleaning the whole thing out. It's the first time I ever cleaned it, and I've had it over 4 years now. I'm sure there are plenty of jokes about what could've been in there, but it was freaking dirty.

I hope that was more than a $10 keyboard.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 8, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)

NASA to Announce Success of Long Galactic Hunt

WASHINGTON -- NASA has scheduled a media teleconference Wednesday, May 14, at 1 p.m. EDT, to announce the discovery of an object in our Galaxy astronomers have been hunting for more than 50 years. This finding was made by combining data from NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory with ground-based observations.

Interesting. I wonder what it is? Dark matter maybe?

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 8, 2008 -> 11:08 PM)
They have a theater like this in Woodridge. Ive been there a few times (believe it or not) They actually have waiters that get you food and drinks in the theater and most of the seats are at tables or desks almost. They have $11 pitchers of long islands specials and stuff too. Its an interesting idea, just doesnt seem to work very well. Its good for first dates though...

Hollywood BLVD

I've been there a few times, but it's been awhile. I think initially their policy was 21 and over all the time, and then they softened that, I assume for $$ purposes. I loved it when it was only 21 and over. They still had 21+ times, I think after 6 or something like that. I'm not the biggest fan of kids and it was great to be able to go to dinner and movie and not have them there.

http://www.atriptothemovies.com/index.php?...k=Ticket_Prices

there's the policy now, seems similar to Dave & Busters. Maybe I'm wrong that it was stricter in the past, I only went when it was first opened, so maybe the word hadn't got out and it just wasn't overall very crowded

It wasn't good for movies you wanted to get lost in. However I found for silly comedies and popcorn type movies it was a fun experience

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 8, 2008 -> 10:08 PM)

Hollywood BLVD

I was going to mention them. Their parking lot sucks big time, though. Its in a strip mall with a bunch of other places.

They just built a huge theater on River Rd. near 294 and 190 (pretty much next to O'Hare). They have luxury seating, no kids, booze, etc.

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/21297/

https://www.muvico.com/Default.asp?

Edited by StrangeSox