Clemens on 60 Minutes

Middle Buffalo

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May have just been me, but Clemens came off nervous the whole time. Said he had no clue about Pettitte's workouts, yet they show video of them working out together. Who knows.

He was playing the victim, asking for respect from people and no clue why nobody would believe him. I'm sure it will be on youtube soon.

I think what hurt Clemens was when Wallace asked him if he would take a lie detector test to prove his innocence and he hesitated and pretty much said he doesnt know how accurate they are and what it would prove anyway.

Im still not sure what I believe. Wallace brought something up that was a very good point. His trainer had nothing to gain and everything to lose by lying. His deal said he wont be prosecuted as long as he didnt lie so why would he make that up when it could get him in trouble.

I also think it really hurts him theat Petite confessed.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
Roger has filed a defamation suit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3184646

McNamees lawyer is waiting in the weeds for this, he was really wanting Clemens to say that McNamee was lying in the 60 minutes interview. I am pretty sure I read that McNamees lawyer specializes in libel and defamation suits

Clemens admitted that he was poppin Vioxx like it was candy,he takes pain killing shots just so he can go out there and pitch,he admits that he takes b12 shots to this day.Yet he wants us to believe that he wouldnt take roids because it is harmful to his body.Then why would you put your body at risk when it is injured and dull the pain with with lidocane?

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Clemens admitted that he was poppin Vioxx like it was candy,he takes pain killing shots just so he can go out there and pitch,he admits that he takes b12 shots to this day.Yet he wants us to believe that he wouldnt take roids because it is harmful to his body.Then why would you put your body at risk when it is injured and dull the pain with with lidocane?

The problem with this statement is that lidocaine is a local anesthetic. So, unless the pain was in his rear end, where the injection was given, it won't help anything else.

Edited by ptatc

Clemens looked bad. He was clearly lying. I guess he thinks he can save face with the lawsuit, which will take years to complete.

He also never seemed to say that McNamee was completely false or lying (so he wouldn't be sued), which makes him look even worse. He didn't really poke any holes in the report, except to say that he did not do it.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
The problem with this statement is that lidocaine is a local anesthetic. So, unless the pain was in his rear end, where the injection was given, it won't help anything else.

That guy in your avatar could use some lidocaine.

As for Roger, he's full of s***.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 06:53 AM)
Roger has filed a defamation suit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3184646

Well, I'll be fair in response to this. This is exactly what I wanted to see Mr. Clemens do if he was named in that indictment. I consider his statement more cloudy now that he's said he had Lidocaine and B-12 (a known steroid masking agent and palmeiro's excuse) injected into him, but at least he's filing the suit. Now we get to see people under oath, hopefully in public, and that's what I want to see.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)

LOL

Roger Clemens had better be careful. Don't know if I've expressed it here before, but all this lying could blow up heavily in his face. He doesn't want to wind up, in five years, looking like Pete Rose and being Pete Rose. It's possible, too, and just as probable as it was with Rose a couple of years before Rose was busted by Dowd. (That is: it's not that probable but if Clemens isn't careful...he's going to take himself down.)

Jim Rome made a good point about Clemens filing a defamation suit. If he has to testify in front of a Congressional committee, and has a lawsuit filed he can claim that he can't talk about specific situations that pertain to the suit. So instead of taking the fifth and looking guilty, he can say sorry I can't get in to that for legal reasons.

QUOTE(Tannerfan @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)
Jim Rome made a good point about Clemens filing a defamation suit. If he has to testify in front of a Congressional committee, and has a lawsuit filed he can claim that he can't talk about specific situations that pertain to the suit. So instead of taking the fifth and looking guilty, he can say sorry I can't get in to that for legal reasons.

And I think a lot of people have heard enough of "We won't comment on an ongoing investigation" from politicians to think that using that answer would be a pretty slimy looking way to avoid answering questions.

Did anyone else notice that pink/magenta thing (highlighter?) Roger was holding in his right hand? At first, the way he was rubbing it, I thought it was a lucky rabbit's foot, then I wasn't quite sure what it was. But my synopsis of the interview:

Roger was vague

Roger never said that McNamee was lying

Roger said he got B-12 (take a vitamin) and lidocaine shots (why put this through systemically when it can be used locally?)

Roger said he popped Vioxx like they were "skittles" because he trusted the people that told him they were safe

Roger averted the lie detector question by saying who knows if they're accurate

Roger was steaming mad at being questioned

Roger is not sure if people will believe him but people that know him, know what's he about (a cheater?)

Roger likely will not play baseball again...unless he decides he wants to play again

My take:

Roger was lying [but he didn't pull a Palmeiro with his penetrating eyes, bushy mustache scowl, and pointed finger]

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 03:30 PM)
And I think a lot of people have heard enough of "We won't comment on an ongoing investigation" from politicians to think that using that answer would be a pretty slimy looking way to avoid answering questions.

I agree, but it helps him from perjuring himself.

I picked up one little nugget about B-12 shots that I didn't know beforehand from an ESPN piece a few days ago.

Vitamin B-12 is an old, not particularly clever, defense. Clemens should remember that when Palmeiro was investigated for perjury by the House Government Reform Committee in 2005, he said the substance he took was vitamin B-12. The House committee report said that in Palmeiro's case, team doctors refused to administer B-12 shots on medical grounds.

Clemens should also know that -- outside of an experimental approach to combat chronic fatigue syndrome -- many doctors universally reject the efficacy of B-12 shots for healthy people who don't suffer from vitamin deficiencies.

When Miguel Tejada was stopped for possessing syringes during a routine airport security check as a member of the Oakland A's, he said the syringes were for, yes, vitamin B-12 injections. Tejada had shipments of B-12 sent to both the Oakland and Baltimore clubhouses. When the medical staffs for both teams refused to provide the shots to Tejada, he administered them himself.

And certainly, Clemens should know that insiders from the bodybuilding community believe vitamin B-12 is an effective masking agent for urine tests.

Also, here's a BG piece with another witness saying that he saw Clemens inject himself with B-12.

Meanwhile, here's a couple doctors asked about Lidocaine usage. They seem to both agree...the strangest part would be getting it shot into your ass.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 08:03 PM)
Can Clemens tape the conversation without MacNamee knowing?

I'm not sure now. Is it possible that Clemens isn't lying? MacNamee never refutes anything Clemens said in the phone conversation. I would have expected him to say, "You know you did it!" or something.

I still don't believe Clemens, but I'm less sure now.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jan 7, 2008 -> 09:16 PM)
I'm not sure now. Is it possible that Clemens isn't lying? MacNamee never refutes anything Clemens said in the phone conversation. I would have expected him to say, "You know you did it!" or something.

I still don't believe Clemens, but I'm less sure now.

Despite everything, I don't know what McNamee had to gain my making up the Clemens stuff under oath.