Your best (and worst) moments as a fan

Watching the end of the Packers game alongside 2 Packers fans made me think of this. I am a life long Bear fan and Packer hater, but seeing their reaction as the field goal went through in overtime almost made me feel bad, such a horrible way to lose. Anyways, list your best and worst moments as a fan in this thread. You could have been at the game, or watching on TV, or listening in the car, it doesn't matter, because you remember that feeling when it happened.

For me, the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDDX--lb2m0

Game 3 of the 1994 Conference Quarterfinals. It was the 3rd to last hockey game at the old barn, I was only 8 year old, but I remember all 4 goals by Tony Amonte, the 5-4 victory, and the roar of the anthem like it was yesterday. It's the first game I ever went to, and my first distinct sports memory.

NIU 20, #15 Maryland 13 in overtime. I was going to visit the campus only a few weeks later, but I went and checked out this game, completely unaware that I would be in the midst of a insane sellout crowd, and a huge upset that would spark what was a very fun team to follow that year. I was at the Iowa State game too which was fun, but everybody expected to win that one.

Illinois vs. Arizona, 2005 elite 8. I don't really need to say much more, except that was the loudest building I've ever been in, including the old stadium. Amazing night indeed.

And on it's own merit, seeing my best friend win a football state title in person in 2004, a team that I also had a lot of other friends on, was pretty good stuff.

In person games without youtube evidence include the NIU win over Western Michigan the day after Thanksgiving in 2005 that sent the Huskies to the MAC Title game. It was an absolute rout, as Greg Jennings and Tony Sheffler were shut down and Garrett Wolfe ran wild. And then, of course, the three Cubs/Sox games I've been to: The Mike Caruso basket home run game after like a 3 hour rain delay to help the Sox win it and sweep at Wrigley in 1999 (in extras too, I think), the Carlos Lee walk off grand slam game that had so many fight afterwards in 2001, it led to restrictions on Sox night games, and of course, the A.J./Barrett game in 2006.

If we're heading into the games I wasn't at direction, obviously the entire 2005 White Sox season (too many individual moments to list, so I'll just say everything) is the best, with the winning of the World Title being my favorite sports moment ever, period. Being old enough to watch and remember the second Bulls 3-peat was a blast, especially 72-10. Anytime Devin Hester returns a kick, Luther Head's tip in to win the 2004 Big Ten title outright, the 2001 Illini football team finally beating Penn State, and the blowout bowl win over Virginia in 1999 for Illinois, as well as NIU beating DeMarcus Ware and Troy in a bowl in 2004.

Worst moments (I'm not wasting my time being too specific or finding youtube evidence):

In person, the Bears/Eagles 2001 playoff game has to be right up there. I felt pretty good, but then Hugh Douglas took out Jim Miller and after that, what a trainwreck. Watching NIU blow a 10 point lead to Toledo to lose the MAC West in 2004, as all the students around me threw stuff on the field was bad. SIU/NIU this year in football is up there, since I think it ruined our whole season. But the worst was traveling all the way to San Diego to see TCU kick our ass in the Poinsettia Bowl. The rest of the trip was great, but that was a nightmare of a game. Fortunately, I haven't seen any really bad late season Sox losses in person.

As for not in person, oh man.......

The suicide squeeze by Carlos Guillen caps off a sweep by Seattle of the Sox in 2000. It's the last time sports made me cry, to this day.

With 15 seconds left and a 30-24 lead, Akron WR Dominic Hixon catches a TD to beat NIU and steal the MAC Title 31-30. That's as close to crying as I've come since the 2000 Sox playoff series since it made us not even make a bowl at all.

NIU at Bowling Green and Toledo, 2003 football.

2005 NCAA Basketball National Title game.

Illinois at Wisconsin, 2003 basketball.

2003 Sugar Bowl and 2008 Rose Bowl

Carolina at Bears, 2005 NFL Playoffs.

Illinois vs. Arizona, 2001 elite 8 game. First time I've see the refs win an elite 8 game, and still haven't since.

Illinois vs. UNC, 2005 National Title Game.

The White Flag Trade.

Super Bowl 41.

The second half of September 2003 with the White Sox. Most noteably, the 2 home losses after the Jose Paniagua game, the sweep at Minnesota, Esteban Loaiza's choking, and just the whole collapse. I still think the 2003 team was more talented (by far) than the 2005 one.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

NIU 20, #15 Maryland 13 in overtime. I was going to visit the campus only a few weeks later, but I went and checked out this game, completely unaware that I would be in the midst of a insane sellout crowd, and a huge upset that would spark what was a very fun team to follow that year.

Maryland was ranked #12, and I will never forget that game... I was a sophomore and I must have had about twenty beers that day, and had a huge group at the game (as we did every game)... the game was amazing and I'll never forget Dan Sheldon streaking down the sideline to grab that ball in OT. It was f***ing awesome. They also beat Alabama that year and Michael Turner still makes me proud everytime he gets to run for the Chargers.

Another game that will go down for me was sitting 4th row, 1996-97 first round of the NHL Playoffs. Hawks were down 2 games to 0 to the Colorado Avalanche as the 8th seed. They won this game in double OT on a phenomenal goal by Sergei Krivokrasov over Patrick Roy's shoulder... Jim Cummins then tackled Krivo at center ice...

I'll never forget my old man surprising me with those tickets (I was 14 at the time), and being there, 4th row, in that insanity was amazing.

There's about a billion others, but those stick out.

Edited by Steve9347

Man, I got a few...

Best for games I was at:

1) Northwestern vs Michigan game in 2000, when NU won 54-51. That was just such an awesome game the whole way, and then NU came up with the late fumble and touchdown for the win.

2) Illinois vs Arizona in the 2005 Elite 8. I think that's about all I really have to type. Would probably be #1 if my loyalties didn't lie with NU.

3) Back to the 2000 NU team, when they won 47-44 over Wisconsin on the road in overtime. Another insane game the whole way with Damien Anderson and Michael Bennett both running crazy.

Nothing else really comes close to those three.

Best for games I wasn't at:

1) Game 2 of the 2005 World Series. Between Paulie's grand slam and Pods' homer, that was pretty awesome.

2) Basically any other game in the 2005 playoffs.

3) Michael's shot to beat Utah in 98.

4) Purely for comedic value, game 6 of the 2003 NCLS. I was watching the game with several drunk Cubs' fans that were ready to celebrate a trip to the World Series, and then seeing their reactions during that collapse. It was absolutely priceless, and I was just sitting there laughing the whole time. I'm surprised I didn't get the s*** kicked out of me.

Worst, games I was at:

When NU blew a 35 point lead against Michigan State last season. That had to be the most disgusting feeling I've ever had after a sporting event. I could probably put the Duke game this past season as 1B, but that's a little heavy on the NU stuff. Those are really the only ones that stick out, though there have been a few Sox blowouts that were pretty bad.

Worst I wasn't at:

1) Randy Walker's death. That one just shocked me and a whole bunch of people I know.

2) The Sox collapse in 2003 (or whatever you want to call it). That was pretty painful, as I felt that team might do something.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

1) 05 sox playoffs

2) Illini-arizona elite 8 game

3) Illini beat #1 OSU

4) Illini beat #1 Wake Forest

Worst:

1)Illini lose on a buzzer beater to OSU, ruining the perfect season

2)Sox get swept in minnesota in 03

I was furious when the Colts beat the Patriots in the AFC Title game last year. My favorite sports memory? I actually think it might be Brady to Moss for the record and the win. Other favorites: Bulls beating the Jazz, all the White Sox Astros games since 2005's World Series (especially the Iguchi Game, and Podsednik's walkoff is my favorite).

Best sports moments Ive been to:

1) The Blazers comeback to beat the Hornets after trailing by 27 in the first quarter last year.

2)Martell Webster's 24 point 3rd quarter against the Jazz a couple weeks ago. People were positively buzzing each time he touched the ball. He missed a 3 towards the end of the quarter that Im sure had it gone through, the Rose Garden would have collapsed.

3) I havent been to too many Sox games, but probably the best I was at was "C'mon Timo! C'mon Timo!"

The worst:

Whenever I see the Sox at Safeco Field. They're 0-11 when Im in attendance. The worst definitely being Billy Koch blowing the 2 run 9th inning lead on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball in 04. I felt so sick.

Edited by Bighurt52235

Most entertaining game was when the Bears and Raiders beat the crap out of each other so bad that the quarterbacks were Ray Guy and Walter Payton.

A great game was a game in Milwaukee where the game went into the ninth scoreless and Jerry Hairston Sr. hit a pinch hit HR in the top with 2 outs and Bob James got the save in the bottom of the ninth.

Another was the 26 inning game against Milwaukee spread out over two days.

Of course Game 2 of the WS with the PK Slam, Jenks giving up the tying runs and the Pods HR to win (and almost getting the HR ball) will always be the top baseball game. I can't imagine anything better than that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
The suicide squeeze by Carlos Guillen caps off a sweep by Seattle of the Sox in 2000. It's the last time sports made me cry, to this day.

Same here.

NU over Michigan in 2000 was sweet. I remember where I was when I saw it, at a restaurant that had the game on. Several people cheered when they won.

Mizzou over Nebraska this year. It turned out to not be that big of a win, but the atmosphere was insane and one of my best friends from home visited for the game (he goes to Nebraska) so that was super sweet.

Mizzou taking the lead in the 4th quarter in Norman this year. Yeah, it sounds lame, but since I was there it was really cool. I went into the game thinking I'd be satisfied by a lead in the 2nd half and would go crazy if they led in the 4th. They led in the 4th and I was there. This again is more about the atmosphere than the actual game itself. OU was incredible (minus the lack of pretty girls).

Jordan's flu game is definitely at the top of the list.

I remember where I was and my reaction to Paxson's 3 even though I was barely 6.

I ran through the halls of my dorm after the White Sox won the World Series. That was ridiculous.

As for the bad, 1996 Rose Bowl. Stupid Keyshawn Johnson.

Easily the best video on YouTube

Bartman was glorious too.

My worst is easily the Music City Miracle, but that's mainly because I don't remember anything from the early 90s. I still say that was a forward pass, and no amount of proof will ever change that, because I'm goddamn stubborn.

The 1971 Stanley Cup Finals broke an 8-year-old's heart.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/history/f...Stanley_Cup.htm

The 1973 Stanley Cup Finals reopened the wound and threw some dirt in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_Stanley_Cup_Finals

(Look at the scores of those games!)

The 1992 Stanley Cup Finals reminded me that it hurts almost as bad when you're 29 as when you're 8 or 10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Stanley_Cup_Finals

(Game One was as bad a spirit-breaker as I've ever experienced as a fan)

Watching them get to the Finals in 1992 was as much fun as I've ever had as a fan - I had season tickets that year along with a few buddies, and the playoff games I didn't see at the Stadium we watched at jam-packed bars. Good, good times until those God-damned Penguins ruined all the fun and won the Cup at the Stadium just to rub it in.

QUOTE(SnB @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
1) 05 sox playoffs

2) Illini-arizona elite 8 game

Pretty much the same for me. I remember both vividly. Also, Jordan's shot against the Jazz in 1998, Ray Bourque finally winning the Stanley Cup with the Avalanche, and the Bulls demolition of the Miami Heat in last season's playoffs.

Worst...

1.) Serbia/Montenegro's 6-1 loss vs Argentina in WC2006

2.) Yugoslavia's WC 1998 loss to the Netherlands (damn you Edgar Davids!)

3.) Mariners sweep White Sox in 2000

4.) Bears losing the SB

best:

the first bulls championship

illinois win over arizona in the elite eight

worst:

watching in person as illinois basketball lost its final regular-season game at ohio state. i was in orange and it was ugly.

on the positive side, i was also there when the football team won there earlier this year, so maybe things are even now.

Best:

2005 WS Game 4

2004 UCONN-Duke Final Four game

97 WS Edgar Renterias walk-off hit

Worst:

FSU-Miami Wide Right II game...for some reason this one really crushed me. It was the second time they lost by missing a kick and it killed their titel hopes. I can still remember watching it go wide and feeling sick to my stomach

2006 UCONN loss to George Mason was tough too...especially since i was still in college and i was the only UCONN fan (upstate ny most ppl were Syracuse fans). We were drinking and i got so much s*** when they lost that game

KC-Indy playoff game a few years back. KC was 13-3 and it was in arrowhead. Always disappointing in the playoffs they loved up to it again. KC never had to punt (only 1 turnover) yet still lost the game. That defense made me want to vomit. What a waste of a supremely talented offense/special teams.