Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 11:01 PM)
Illinois State is in btw........4-4 vs. top 50 (7-5 vs. top 100), 34th in RPI, 7-7 in road/neutral, 8-3 OOC, 7-3 in last 10, 21-8 overall.....they are for sure in right now. Only way they could be out is a 1st game loss in St. Louis.

That's how I feel but I hear alot of talk about how their is no way the MVC is going to get three bids this season. I feel comfortable that if drake wins the tourney, ISU is in regardless of what they do in the tourney. I have a feeling that some members of the committee will not want three bids and will look at it that way instead of just taking the best teams. I also just thought I'd rub it in for the salukis I've been talking with on here. Osiris is a beast.

P.S. anyone going for any of the valley tourney?

Edited by kjshoe04

The game today reminded me of the Xavier game early on. They constantly got beat up the floor on defense and gave up way too many easy shots. They'd either give up a layup/dunk or rush to get back to stop it that they would leave a shooter wide open for a three.

There were two moments I thought IU could have gotten back into the game. Jordan Crawford's missed dunk in the first half which would have put them down only 9 and given them serious momentum. The second was with about 10 minutes left in the 2nd half when they buried two consecutive threes and got a quick turnover and then Gordon turned the ball right back over trying to force it into the lane. That would have put IU within 15 with 10 minutes to go. Both times MSU came right back with a basket and buried any potential momentum gained.

Would have been a long uphill climb either way, but if they were going to come back those were their only two chances.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 03:11 AM)
imo, indiana's recent performances are unrelated to the sampson stuff. i've watched a lot of iu basketball this year, and to me they've been pretty much the same team all year. to me, their only (borderline) quality road win is at siu, but outside of that they have not beat an even decent team on the road. it's vogue to relate it to the sampson stuff, but this has been a stagnant team most of the season. a favorable schedule has fostered a favorable record.

That's what irks me a bit. People who have probably watched a total of less than five Indiana games this season are going to use the Sampson thing as a cop-out. It can't be that Indiana is playing poorly at the wrong time, but rather that their mind isn't fully in it or something like that.

Like I said, I prefer not to play amateur psychologist.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
Somehow though Maryland is a shoo-in, Virginia Tech is in, UAB and Houston are both in...and etc. Want to explain that?

VT is not in right now. They have played a weak ACC schedule b/c of the unbalanced scheduling. They havent beat an ACC team this year that has a higher RPI ranking. Plus they play Wake and at Clemson. I see them losing both. 3 losses to teams outside the RPI 120 doesnt help.

Maryland probably just killed there chances but I know you posted this before the game against Clemson.

Wake is 6-8 in conference but they could win out with games at VT and home to NCST. Plus they have wins over Miami, BYU and Duke. And close losses to Clemson and Vandy. If they win their last 2 and win a game in the ACCT then they might get a spot.

Clemson, Duke and UNC have locked up spots. Miami should get in as long as they win one more game.

QUOTE(zenryan @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 03:43 AM)
VT is not in right now. They have played a weak ACC schedule b/c of the unbalanced scheduling. They havent beat an ACC team this year that has a higher RPI ranking. Plus they play Wake and at Clemson. I see them losing both. 3 losses to teams outside the RPI 120 doesnt help.

Maryland probably just killed there chances but I know you posted this before the game against Clemson.

Wake is 6-8 in conference but they could win out with games at VT and home to NCST. Plus they have wins over Miami, BYU and Duke. And close losses to Clemson and Vandy. If they win their last 2 and win a game in the ACCT then they might get a spot.

Clemson, Duke and UNC have locked up spots. Miami should get in as long as they win one more game.

You do realize that I totally disagree with what I was saying right? Was basing this off Lunardi's bracket...I agree with you.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
You do realize that I totally disagree with what I was saying right? Was basing this off Lunardi's bracket...I agree with you.

well I want your boys to make it in. I hate Florida and I would love to see your team beat them this Sunday.

I think UK has to get in if they can win out this week. 18-11 and 12-4 in the SEC is too good to be left out.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 09:11 PM)
imo, indiana's recent performances are unrelated to the sampson stuff. i've watched a lot of iu basketball this year, and to me they've been pretty much the same team all year. to me, their only (borderline) quality road win is at siu, but outside of that they have not beat an even decent team on the road. it's vogue to relate it to the sampson stuff, but this has been a stagnant team most of the season. a favorable schedule has fostered a favorable record.

I refuse to believe the Sampson stuff hasn't been somewhat of an issue. If you compare the 3 games prior to Sampson resigning and the 3 games after, there is a clear difference. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but I don't think so. IU struggling at Northwestern, then struggling at home vs Ohio State, and getting crushed at Michigan State after treating them like a red-headed stepchild 2 weeks prior is just odd. I mean, 103 points vs Michigan State? That just doesn't happen. The defense has really taken a step back since Sampson left. Mentally, this team isn't right. I think it's pretty clear actually.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(kjshoe04 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 04:54 PM)
Lunardi finally has ISU solidly IN this week, not on the last four in, SIU is also still on the next four out list. Maybe 3 bids for the Valley?

SIU is going to have to do some serious damage in the Arch madness, and most likely win the thing to get into the tourney. Their jekyll and hyde nature is not good for selection time

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
SIU is going to have to do some serious damage in the Arch madness, and most likely win the thing to get into the tourney. Their jekyll and hyde nature is not good for selection time

I was thinking that if Creighton/Bradley were to beat ISU in the Finals, then I could easily see 3 teams. If ISU were to make it to the Arch Madness finals, I don't see any way they could leave them out. I don't think SIU really has any chance outside of winning the whole thing.

Any thoughts on MVC Player of the year? Someone from Drake? I think it will be Josh Young or Emmenecker. Although I would love to see it go to Eldridge.

QUOTE(kjshoe04 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
I was thinking that if Creighton/Bradley were to beat ISU in the Finals, then I could easily see 3 teams. If ISU were to make it to the Arch Madness finals, I don't see any way they could leave them out. I don't think SIU really has any chance outside of winning the whole thing.

Any thoughts on MVC Player of the year? Someone from Drake? I think it will be Josh Young or Emmenecker. Although I would love to see it go to Eldridge.

I think Josh Young has had it locked up for a long time

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Oh, just a blast.

This is the most retarded team in history. At home they are one of the top 10 teams in basketball, on the road they are in the 300's.

You did not have fun? By the way Cole Alrich is going be a me a monster.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
Yep, Aldrich looked really good. KU is going to be a very tough out this year, I was actually impressed with Self's coaching ability tonight. He destroyed the 2-3 zone.

The key to the team is Sherron Collins. I have no faith in Self.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Oh, just a blast.

This is the most retarded team in history. At home they are one of the top 10 teams in basketball, on the road they are in the 300's.

Young Knight was given a tough situation with his dad hanging it up how he did, but a 40+ lose shortly followed by a 50+ lose in a matter of a couple of weeks is not a good sign. Nice upset sandwiched in between though.

It's no different than the team has played all season long. TTU has only lost twice in the past 25+ games at home, and only once this year on a miracle 30 footer at the buzzer by OU. On the road Tech has been blown out by New Mexico, Oklahoma State, Texas, Nebraska, A&M, Kansas, and even lost to Centenary and Sam Houston State on the road.

The disparity is ridiculous, Tech blew out A&M by 15 at home, and then lost to the same team by 40 on the road.

One thing is for sure, Pat is going to have to make up for his dad's complete lack of desire to recruit. Tech has some very good guards on the roster and coming in, but low to mid-major talent at best in the frontcourt.

Emmenecker MVC POY

http://www.mvc-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml...;ATCLID=1403220

First Team

Jeremy Crouch, Bradley Sr. G 6-5 Pekin (Ill.) High

Osiris Eldridge, Illinois State So. G 6-3 Chicago (Ill.) Phillips Academy

Adam Emmenecker, Drake Sr. G 6-1 Saginaw (Mich.) Arthur Hill High

Randal Falker, Southern Illinois Sr. F 6-7 St. Louis (Mo.) Gateway Tech

Josh Young, Drake So. G 6-1 Lawton (Okla.) Lawton Christian High