Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SEC this year has been garbage. Kentucky and Arkansas should be fighting for the 5th and final spot in the tourney.

Kentucky has to win at least 2 more games to get on the bubble sitting at 18-12/18-13.

If Arkansas loses their next game at Miss and UK wins at South Carolina, then I would give Kentucky a solid edge to get that 5th and final spot.

QUOTE(Brian @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
I watched the game. Kentucky lost, they are 16-11, right? They need a good showing in the SEC tourney to be considered.

Well yeah this is based off of right now. If they lose to South Carolina and Florida they're not going to make it, but right now I don't see how you can leave them out, and this isn't my bias because I'm far from it. Just depends on what the committee rewards. They do love how you finish and winning 9 of our last 11, with wins over two top 10 RPI teams, and two other top 50 RPI teams (one more if we didn't get jobbed at Florida). They've improved about 20 times since the beginning of the year, Gardner-Webb loss was November 7th without Jasper, an awful Meeks who was playing on a fractured groin, and attempting to come into a style that didn't click until mid January.

Bradley has missed basically 2 games, Ramon Harris 4, Jasper 11, Patterson 1+ the rest of the year, Meeks 16 (and when he's played he's been totally ineffective), and etc. Through all of this though they've found a way to improve dramatically and go 10-4 so far in one of the premier conferences in the country. With a team like this I have a hard time believing you can fault them enough to keep them out based on 1 HORRIBLE loss and 1 bad loss in non-conference.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
Maryland and VT have winning records in a much better conference, and more wins than Kentucky.

Houston and UAB are on similar standing with Kentucky.

I agree with Maryland but my point is they're pretty similar to Kentucky. 58 RPI (Kentucky 51), #19 SOS (Kentucky #10), 2 Sub-100 losses (American and Boston College, and also a loss to #99 Missouri) compared to Kentucky's 2 Sub 100 losses as well (GW and San Diego). Note that those horrible losses occurred for both teams in the beginning of the year when neither were playing very well at all.

Maryland's marquee win is over UNC while Kentucky's is Tennessee. Maryland is 6-9 vs. the RPI Top 100 (1-5 vs. Top 50) while Kentucky is 4-9 but 4-6 vs. the Top 50.

Maryland's conference record 8-6 in a better conference then the SEC, Kentucky's is 10-4. Maryland's is a little more impressive, but comparing these resumes and acting like Maryland is BEYOND a lock and saying Kentucky isn't even close is kind of unfair.

Virginia Tech is a joke. 8-6 ACC record is keeping them up there, but 0-5 vs. Top 50, 4-8 vs. Top 100, 3 sub-100 losses, best wins a sweep of Maryland. #62 RPI, #48 SOS.

Might as well go on.

UAB as well, is a joke. Their best win is over Kentucky (51 RPI). They have a 53 RPI, with #115 SOS, 0-1 vs. the Top 50, 3-3 vs. the Top 100. If you're gonna talk about bad losses and say GARDNER-WEBB! you have to mention that UAB has 5 sub-100 losses...11-3 record in the #10 overall RPI conference and come on, there's nothing here to even look at.

Houston as well is kind of funny. Best win also over Kentucky, 69 RPI, 151 SOS, 10-4 in #10 conference. 0-5 vs. the top 50, 1-6 vs. the top 100...one awful loss, almost GW bad to East Carolina #252.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
Who is this MSU team, and what have they done with the real Spartan offense?

Indiana

Name FG 3Pt FT PF Pts

Armon Bassett 3-7 3-4 0-0 0 9

Jordan Crawford 2-4 1-2 0-0 2 5

Jamarcus Ellis 1-3 1-2 2-2 1 5

Eric Gordon 4-8 1-4 1-3 1 10

Lance Stemler 0-1 0-1 0-0 2 0

Kyle Taber 0-0 0-0 0-0 2 0

DeAndre Thomas 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0

D.J. White 1-7 0-0 0-2 2 2

Mike White 0-0 0-0 0-0 1 0

Totals 11-31 6-13 3-7 11 31

Percentages: .355 .462 .429

Michigan St.

Name FG 3Pt FT PF Pts

Chris Allen 3-6 2-4 1-1 1 9

Marquise Gray 0-0 0-0 0-0 1 0

Kalin Lucas 3-3 1-1 1-2 1 8

Raymar Morgan 5-5 2-2 0-0 2 12

Drew Naymick 1-3 0-0 0-0 2 2

Drew Neitzel 4-5 4-5 0-0 1 12

Durrell Summers 1-1 0-0 2-2 0 4

Goran Suton 3-3 0-0 4-5 1 10

Travis Walton 1-1 0-0 0-0 0 2

Totals 21-27 9-12 8-10 9 59

Percentages: .778 .750 .800

Holy s***. I mean, they are just f***ing SCORCHING hot, aren't they? NO ONE on a good day can't beat that sort of %.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 05:36 PM)
So an opposing team shooting ~55% from beyond the arc means Indiana players aren't "into it"?

That's brilliant logic.

I'm just saying that Indiana is starting to look flat. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose early in the NCAAs.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
So an opposing team shooting ~55% from beyond the arc means Indiana players aren't "into it"?

That's brilliant logic.

Im sure a couple of hands in the faces of those shooters may have made a difference.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
Im sure a couple of hands in the faces of those shooters may have made a difference.

I didn't see the game so I have no idea how Indiana looked. I just think it's silly to try and play ametur phsychologist and make such an assertive comment about the mindset of the Indiana players.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
I didn't see the game so I have no idea how Indiana looked. I just think it's silly to try and play ametur phsychologist and make such an assertive comment about the mindset of the Indiana players.

You don't need to be a psychologist to notice this stuff. The players themselves talked to the media about boycotting their own game vs. Northwestern and write Sampson's initials on their shoes.

They go out and play like crap versus NW, a team obviously not on the same talent level with them. Then go back to Assembly Hall and squeak by a clearly inferior Ohio State team.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
You don't need to be a psychologist to notice this stuff. The players themselves talked to the media about boycotting their own game vs. Northwestern and write Sampson's initials on their shoes.

They go out and play like crap versus NW, a team obviously not on the same talent level with them. Then go back to Assembly Hall and squeak by a clearly inferior Ohio State team.

I would agree that they have lost their mojo, so to speak.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 09:57 PM)
I would agree that they have lost their mojo, so to speak.

I didn't know we had any. Honestly, we've played about the same all season, and it caught up with us today. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but this team still hasn't really had a perfect game this season. Sampson said such a few weeks before his s*** hit the fan; this team really hasn't improved as the season has progressed, which is really unfortunate with the talent at hand.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 03:02 AM)
I didn't know we had any. Honestly, we've played about the same all season, and it caught up with us today. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but this team still hasn't really had a perfect game this season. Sampson said such a few weeks before his s*** hit the fan; this team really hasn't improved as the season has progressed, which is really unfortunate with the talent at hand.

imo, indiana's recent performances are unrelated to the sampson stuff. i've watched a lot of iu basketball this year, and to me they've been pretty much the same team all year. to me, their only (borderline) quality road win is at siu, but outside of that they have not beat an even decent team on the road. it's vogue to relate it to the sampson stuff, but this has been a stagnant team most of the season. a favorable schedule has fostered a favorable record.

Edited by thedoctor

Maryland is pissing their NCAA hopes down their leg now. Just lost to Clemson after leading by 20 with 11 minutes to go. Clemson hit a 30 foot 3 with 2.5 seconds left to go up one against Maryland and won.

I don't know if any other conference has two coaches as overrated as Gary Williams and Paul Hewitt.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 04:26 AM)
Maryland is pissing their NCAA hopes down their leg now. Just lost to Clemson after leading by 20 with 11 minutes to go. Clemson hit a 30 foot 3 with 2.5 seconds left to go up one against Maryland and won.

I don't know if any other conference has two coaches as overrated as Gary Williams and Paul Hewitt.

Williams has no excuse, especially considering the talent coming out of D.C. lately. Hewitt's been hurt by NBA early entries more than anyone.

Osiris Eldridge is awesome, I saw him play a lot at Phillips and wanted Illinois to offer him, but then again i'm kind of crazy. And I'm not sure what mojo Indiana lost, their defense has been a joke all year and their record is due to a horrible out of conference schedule and playing teams that can't score within their league. White and Gordon are great offensive players, but emphasis on offensive. They'll fit right in in the NBA.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 04:48 AM)
Osiris Eldridge is awesome, I saw him play a lot at Phillips and wanted Illinois to offer him, but then again i'm kind of crazy. And I'm not sure what mojo Indiana lost, their defense has been a joke all year and their record is due to a horrible out of conference schedule and playing teams that can't score within their league. White and Gordon are great offensive players, but emphasis on offensive. They'll fit right in in the NBA.

I didn't know Champ Oguchi was sitting out for ISU this year. He's going to be a superb shooter for them next year.