Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not going to call him amazingly awesome.

Ill say that he got the job done that SHOULD be done.

I dont congratulate teams on achieving the bare minimum, if Wisconsin was fighting for a NCAA berth I wouldnt be in here saying Bo Ryan is coach of the year. Some experts did not even pick Wisconsin to make the tournament, yet I picked them to win the big 10 (along with pomeroy). I dont come in here saying Bo Ryan is an insanely awesome coach, I leave that type of praise for guys like Wooden, Dean Smith, people with multiple championships.

I guess we differ on how we throw around compliments.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 06:50 AM)
The crowd got really quiet when I yelled "f*** you bill walker", but I wasn't the only one to do so. Part of me hopes he would stick around just to mess things up in Manhattan.

You showed him.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 12:24 PM)
Im not going to call him amazingly awesome.

Ill say that he got the job done that SHOULD be done.

I dont congratulate teams on achieving the bare minimum, if Wisconsin was fighting for a NCAA berth I wouldnt be in here saying Bo Ryan is coach of the year. Some experts did not even pick Wisconsin to make the tournament, yet I picked them to win the big 10 (along with pomeroy). I dont come in here saying Bo Ryan is an insanely awesome coach, I leave that type of praise for guys like Wooden, Dean Smith, people with multiple championships.

I guess we differ on how we throw around compliments.

Yup, okay. If you watch us in November, watch us now without our best player and only post presence without missing a beat in the run we were on before, you'd understand. The job he's done is absolutely incredible.

The in-season turn around in this team was unbelievable. I don't think people realize that the talent we have now compared to the talent at the beginning of the year is totally different. People look at it and say "well with players like these he should have been doing this all along" but that's total bulls***, given the fact that our star players at this point were absolutely worthless at the start. Tubby could never, ever develop players...Crawford and Bradley for one improved 10 times more this year than in three years under Tubby. But whatever.

For what it's worth, Bo Ryan is a horribly underrated coach, I've always believed this. He does more with less far better than anyone in the country.

Edited by gbuk

Now I have seen it all. Clemson, as the ranked team, almost chokes the game away against Virginia Tech, but pulls out a win at home and the fans rush the court. That's just embarassing.

Either way, Duke gets Clemson in the ACC tourney now, that should be fun.

Season's wasting away at the worst possible time. f***.

If I'm looking at this right, barring Purdue winning against Michigan, we should be matched up against the Minnesota/NW winner instead of the Iowa/Illinois winner. I guess the three seed does get the more favorable matchup in that regard.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
Now I have seen it all. Clemson, as the ranked team, almost chokes the game away against Virginia Tech, but pulls out a win at home and the fans rush the court. That's just embarassing.

Either way, Duke gets Clemson in the ACC tourney now, that should be fun.

Clemson fans have some questionable court/field rushes. They rushed the field when they beat us in football on Labor Day. We were ranked 22 (?), but everyone knows we shouldn't have been ranked. Not to mention they have owned us in football as of late (but who doesn't?).

Edited by chimpy2121

By defending their homecourt against Purdue and Michigan State, the Buckeyes have played their way back firmly onto the bubble. The question is if this is too little, too late. They need to beat Michigan State again in the 4/5 game on Friday to get to 20 wins overall IMO. If they can do that, then the Bucks have a shot.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 03:04 PM)
Season's wasting away at the worst possible time. f***.

If I'm looking at this right, barring Purdue winning against Michigan, we should be matched up against the Minnesota/NW winner instead of the Iowa/Illinois winner. I guess the three seed does get the more favorable matchup in that regard.

Assuming Purdue wins.....it would lay out like this:

#1 Wisconsin vs #8 Iowa/ #9 Illinois - Believe Illini win the tiebreaker with Michigan.

#4 Michigan St vs #5 Ohio St

#3 Indiana vs #6 Minnesota/ #11 Northwestern

#2 Purdue vs #7 Penn St/ #10 Michigan

Fairly certain this is what the match ups would be.

One of the most under-rated players in ACC history just finished his career with a bang. Sean Singletary led Virginia to a win over Maryland with 27 points and 6 assists. Some NBA team needs to take a chance on him in the 2nd around, I don't think he will be much different than a Jameer Nelson type.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 12:15 PM)
So does anyone want to argue with me about my claim that Gillispie is an "insanely awesome" coach? The job he's done this year is absolutely unbelievable. I can't say enough about it.

We're in the tournament, 100% lock, no question.

I give Kentucky a lot of credit, when Patterson went down I thought that was lights out for them and their chances. They have proved that they can play without him and the injury shouldn't be held against them now by the comittee, so a well deserved trip to the dance is on the way for the 'Cats.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 01:04 PM)
Interesting games tonight.

If San Diego wins, does the WCC get 3 teams in?

Does William and Mary win their conference?

If San Diego wins, the WCC gets 3 bids and somebody on the bubble loses their spot, just as sombody loses their spot if Elon beats Davidson or Cleveland State beats Butler, which would give the SoCon and Horizon League 2 bids instead of 1. Also, there will be a lot of Kent State fans during the MAC tournament, and I'm sure there is another case or two of this I'm forgetting. You simply can't keep Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Butler, or Davidson out of the tournament. I can't see Bill and Mary beating a veteran team like George Mason in a game that important though.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
If San Diego wins, the WCC gets 3 bids and somebody on the bubble loses their spot, just as sombody loses their spot if Elon beats Davidson or Cleveland State beats Butler, which would give the SoCon and Horizon League 2 bids instead of 1. Also, there will be a lot of Kent State fans during the MAC tournament, and I'm sure there is another case or two of this I'm forgetting. You simply can't keep Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Butler, or Davidson out of the tournament. I can't see Bill and Mary beating a veteran team like George Mason in a game that important though.
I would agree, but Davidson is not a lock at all if they do not win there tournament. They are bubble at best without the crown and a BAD loss to a bad Elon will probably sink them into the NIT.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 02:42 AM)
Wait, so one sub-par game by Beasley and he's not the POY anymore?

Both Beasley and Walker whine a lot, mainly Walker. Walker being a total headcase is exactly why he's the erratic player he is. One missed shot and his whole night can be ruined, it's pretty laughable.

Nah, I still think he is, but any NPOY should handle a s***ty ISU team better than he did.

Walker is a f***tard.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 03:35 PM)
Go Elon and Bill and Mary.

I would love to see Syracuse kept out of the tourney, f***in orange

Same here. Then we get to hear the annual Jim Boeheim whinefest about how the tourney should add more teams.

Another new entry to the bubble, as South Alabama suffered a shocking loss to Middle Tennessee State tonight in the Sun Belt semifinals. South Alabama entered the night 26-5, and 24th in the RPI with three top 50 wins, more than quite a few fellow bubble teams. Just another team for the Ohio State's and Virginia Tech's of the world to worry about, and in fact, South Alabama has a far better resume than both of those teams, or an Illinois State and St. Mary's. To me, South Alabama's resume should definitely get them in (It's much better than fellow Sun Belt team Western Kentucky, who Lunardi has as one of the first four out), but you never know since the whole "conference affiliation doesn't matter" stuff is BS from the committee.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 08:44 PM)
Another new entry to the bubble, as South Alabama suffered a shocking loss to Middle Tennessee State tonight in the Sun Belt semifinals. South Alabama entered the night 26-5, and 24th in the RPI with three top 50 wins, more than quite a few fellow bubble teams. Just another team for the Ohio State's and Virginia Tech's of the world to worry about, and in fact, South Alabama has a far better resume than both of those teams, or an Illinois State and St. Mary's. To me, South Alabama's resume should definitely get them in (It's much better than fellow Sun Belt team Western Kentucky, who Lunardi has as one of the first four out), but you never know since the whole "conference affiliation doesn't matter" stuff is BS from the committee.

ISU's resume outside of their RPI is pretty bad. They have no good wins and 4 bad losses. Usually not a good combo for a bubble team. However the bubble teams are pretty weak this year so they might still sneak in.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
ISU's resume outside of their RPI is pretty bad. They have no good wins and 4 bad losses. Usually not a good combo for a bubble team. However the bubble teams are pretty weak this year so they might still sneak in.

I didn't think it would come to this, but ISU ought to start getting nervous. I still think they will make it, but two bubble teams were knocked out tonight with San Diego winning, thus the WCC gets 3, and with South Alabama losing. BTW, how the hell did San Diego, the #3 seed in the WCC, get home court? What an asinine setup, there is no way they win last night if they weren't at home (maybe not even tonight), and this crazy setup knocked a more deserving team out. I enjoy the underdog of course, but that is just dumb.

Anyways, more potential danger for bubble teams, as now they want Western Kentucky to win tonight and tomorrow and take the Sun Belt (or else they are another bubble team). Plus, Butler has to win tomorrow or else the Horizon League will get two teams, Kent State has a great shot at an at large if they don't win the MAC, etc etc. It's nuts, maybe all those lousy high major teams on the bubble will be knocked off by some of these mid major upsets.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

No one ever says this, but Mark Few really doesn't coach up his team well. With the talent on that squad, there's no excuse to play to their opponent's level as much as they do. They probably have 8 of the top 12 players in that league on their team.