Official 2008-2009 NFL Thread

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 07:02 AM)
I read today that now they did, and they're interested in him. This is one of those "I"ll believe it when I see it" kind of things, but if they signed Jones (doubt it'd take much) that'd take some of the weight off Forte's shoulders... plus, injuries aside, he's better than Benson would've been, and the Bears would be pretty legit at RB with a proven (albeit risky) option.

Then they'd just have to hope that my boy Mark Bradley miraculously breaks out, Booker is resurgent, Hester actually lives up to all that potential, and/or one of the rookies comes on quickly... cross your fingers Angelo.

Heard this morning on the Score that Kevin Jones was either going to sign with the Bears or the Steelers today, according to his agent. Wouldn't make much sense for him to go to Pittsburgh, as they already have Willie Parker and Mendenhall so it looks like he'll be a bear? I'll believe it when I see it, but if true, that's a decent signing...still doesn't get them even close to out of the woods yet though.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Fotop @ Jul 15, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Heard this morning on the Score that Kevin Jones was either going to sign with the Bears or the Steelers today, according to his agent. Wouldn't make much sense for him to go to Pittsburgh, as they already have Willie Parker and Mendenhall so it looks like he'll be a bear? I'll believe it when I see it, but if true, that's a decent signing...still doesn't get them even close to out of the woods yet though.

They would't be the worst offense in the NFL, at least. We'd probably have a decent 2005-caliber running game, but still no passing game to speak of (also like Kyle Orton-led 2005) barring any surprises from this crop of WRs.

Done deal. Angelo finally comes through.

Bears sign running back Kevin Jones

July 15, 2008

BY BRAD BIGGS Staff Reporter

Seven days before the Bears are to report for training camp the club deemed running back a need, signing veteran Kevin Jones.

The former first-round draft pick of the Detroit Lions checked out medically Tuesday morning and signed a one-year contract worth $605,000. Jones comes on board five weeks after Cedric Benson was launched following his second offseason arrest, and provides some depth to a position the team still expects rookie Matt Forte to anchor.

Returning from a torn ACL suffered on Dec. 23, Jones might not immediately be on the practice fields at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, Ill., and could be a candidate for the physically unable to perform list. Jones had visited the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last week and was linked as a possibility for the Pittsburgh Steelers and finally caught interest from the Bears, who otherwise were heading into the season with veteran Adrian Peterson and 2007 third-round pick Garrett Wolfe backing Forte.

Jones also suffered a Lisfranc ligament injury in his left foot in 2006 and the injuries, combined with Mike Martz’s pass-happy offense in Detroit derailed what was a promising start to his career. After coming out of Virginia Tech, Jones rushed for 1,133 yards and five touchdowns as a rookie in 2004. Although he scored a career-high eight touchdowns last season, he put up only 581 yards on 153 rushes (3.8 average) before the injury. His best effort of the year came in the Lions’ 16-7 victory at Soldier Field when Jones ran for 105 yards and a score on 23 carries.

With a one-year contract, Jones has the opportunity to prove he’s healthy with an eye on a lucrative longterm deal, and the club that gets off the bus running fortifies itself in the backfield.

Fantatstic news. I can't be happier about the Bears finally getting someone signed. He's had injury concerns but should be a nice guy to have around to ensure that the Bears are able to ease Forte into his career. He is obviously returning very quickly from an ACL injury so I think our expectations should be to hope he is able to play in one preseason game and can work his way up to being a 10-15 carry a guy for the Bears by about the 3rd week of the season (which is just perfect cause that should help shelter Forte enough to prevent him from hitting some sort of rookie wall by week 12).

From rotoworld:

LaDainian Tomlinson was in Times Square Thursday campaigning to be the No. 1 pick in fantasy football drafts across America.

He shook hands, gave out bumper stickers, and appeared on talk shows. "I should be the No. 1 pick because I'm proven," he said. "I have experience helping owners win their leagues. I got a good track record, and I'll be ready on day one." And the kicker: "I'm all about scoring touchdowns." One must appreciate that LT2 cares this much. We couldn't recommend anyone else. Jul. 17 - 3:52 pm et

:D

A reciever I wouldn't mind the Bears looking at is Charles Rogers....kind of made of glass but the kid has tons of talent. As far as I know he isn't signed with anyone as of yet. IIRC he just got off a drug suspension as well...mary jane if memory serves. He would quickly become the best reciever on this team IMO.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jul 18, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
A reciever I wouldn't mind the Bears looking at is Charles Rogers....kind of made of glass but the kid has tons of talent. As far as I know he isn't signed with anyone as of yet. IIRC he just got off a drug suspension as well...mary jane if memory serves. He would quickly become the best reciever on this team IMO.

He played 15 games in 3 years and hasn't played since 2005. Talented or not, he's not a very good player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
Picking up a probowler for a pair of draft picks a year away? If that's desperation, it's pretty smart for desperate.

Maybe. But it was a desperation move. And he is going to be 34 this season. Jon Ogden was also a Probowler last year. I wouldn't have been happy if the Bears had spent a second round pick on him.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
Bears starting wide outs as of right now are Lloyd and Hester (Suntimes via rotoworld). Alright then.

Booker should be in there, IMO. He is still the best wide receiver we have and will catch the ball over the middle unlike Lloyd.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 01:26 PM)
Bears need Charles Rogers as someone else stated. Very talented and was caught in a mess in Detroit. It's like a blackhole up there for football.

He loves the Chronic as well, if I recall correctly.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 12:26 PM)
Bears need Charles Rogers as someone else stated. Very talented and was caught in a mess in Detroit. It's like a blackhole up there for football.

We need somebody who routinely fails drug tests, hasn't been able to latch on anywhere despite numerous tryouts, and reportedly ran a 4.8 40 in his last tryout?

The receiving corps may be bad, but it sure as hell is not that bad. Monk > Rogers, easy.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Jul 23, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
We need somebody who routinely fails drug tests, hasn't been able to latch on anywhere despite numerous tryouts, and reportedly ran a 4.8 40 in his last tryout?

The receiving corps may be bad, but it sure as hell is not that bad. Monk > Rogers, easy.

let alone the 15 games in 3 years and not getting on the field since 2005

I think someone else mentioned that too

Edited by witesoxfan