Worst and best offseason signings/trades

DaTank

Personally, my worst was trading Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin. I just don't think Quentin will pan out as many think he will, and I think Carter is going to be a monster. And my best was trading for Swisher. How about you guys?

Edited by jenks45monster

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 06:46 PM)
Personally, my worst was trading Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin. I just don't think Quentin will pan out as many think he will, and I think Carter is going to be a monster. And my best was trading for Swisher. How about you guys?

i got quentin as my best....hes gonna be a big part of this team if given the opportunity i think....worst...i guess getting rid of garland, or signing linebrink for 4 years

actually no....resigning uribe was the worst...especially considering we now have cabrera

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)

I think it depends when judgement day is. If its 5 years from now, I think the Swisher trade is one KW would swap back right then if he could, and I think the Quentin trade will be a winner. For 2008 the Swisher trade is good for the Sox, probably the best, and the worst is the Garland trade IMO because he eats innings and while Cabrera is an upgrade over Uribe, he was sold high by the Angels, I look for a little dropoff and I think Uribe if starting at SS in a contract year could be outstanding.

I always like to wait and criticize after the season is over. :lol: B) Everything looks good right now, but I thought we might have given up too much young talent for Swisher. I wish we could have unloaded Contreras rather than Garland, but I think it shows the direction our ownership is going.

garland will put up better numbers in the AL West, it's that simple really. Bigger park to offset his, as of late, unpolished sinker, less offensive division in comparison to detroit+cleveland

these reasons alone will make people proclaim all year that the cabrera/garland deal was a bust, which in fact may have been the wrong move, but i would argue, as garland's style of pitching wasn't working in the cell (remembe the twins game last year where he gave up... like 8 or 9 runs, and we ended up losing something like 15-11 or whatever, don't remembe the exact score. judy can't pitch in the cell consistently)

i think cabreras stats will go up in the cell just like swishers will because of the smaller park and non-existant (for the most part) foul territory

i don't really know much about quentin, i mean i've been following the boards since the day we got him but i don't really know a whole lot about him or his upside, with that said i'm excited to see him in ST

favorite move: swisher

KW's bust: uribe 4.5m -_-

Before today I would've said signing Uribe. But suddenly i'm actually looking forward to watching Uribe and Ocab work the infield. I don't think Richar will break with the team out of ST - he's not doing himself any favors showing up late, that's for sure. If Uribe can play solid D at 2B and hit 25 dingers, I think the Sox will be a force in the central. something tells me this move to 2B could be a wake-up call for this guy (at least i hope so).

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
Before today I would've said signing Uribe. But suddenly i'm actually looking forward to watching Uribe and Ocab work the infield. I don't think Richar will break with the team out of ST - he's not doing himself any favors showing up late, that's for sure. If Uribe can play solid D at 2B and hit 25 dingers, I think the Sox will be a force in the central. something tells me this move to 2B could be a wake-up call for this guy (at least i hope so).

Geez, he is having visa problems, its not like he is on his couch watching oprah eating Bon Bons

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)
Geez, he is having visa problems, its not like he is on his couch watching oprah eating Bon Bons

He was told to work on his visa early but apparently he waited until the last minute anyway. Ozzie is not happy Richar has this problem. He tends to hold grudges when young guys screw up off the field. That said, I don't think this is a too major of an offense depending on when he does arrive, but he probably has to clearly have a better spring than the others now to get the job at the beginning of the year. He might not have had to before. In other words, it probably went from a job that was his to lose to an open competition.

Edited by Dick Allen

Player I'm most excited about is Swish, best value IMO was Quentin, and I know it's not popular, but I'm glad we have Uribe in the mix. Whether it's second base, or back to a utility role, I think we will be glad we have him, if nothing more than for depth. Plus his comments were right on the money of what I wanted to hear. I'm optimistic with his attitude staying positive.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)

I think its actually the opposite of what you said. Quentin has a huge upside and Carter projects as maybe a power hitting DH. Quentin is just worth more IMO and closer to his potential. He will be a monster corner OF'er for the sox for the next several years.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 10:03 PM)
I agree with Seal. I'm most excited about Swisher. Least excited about bringing back Uribe, of course, unless he makes a commitment to spray the ball to all fields which I guess will not happen.

Swisher is going to mash, have a great attitude and play better CF than most think right now. Because of how small ours is, he will get to alot of balls, and his weakness wont be as evident as it was in Oakland. That OF could be a powerhouse offensively, with a great middle IF defensively, we could be ok.

My reasoning for choosing Quentin for Carter as the worst is because that being injured that early in a career can really take a toll on Quentin, both mentally, and physically. Tommy John surgery on his throwing arm in 03', which was supposed to be his first season and he sat out the year, and also a partially torn left labrum (shoulder). Chris Carter really reminds me of Ryan Howard. Even though I liked the Swisher deal the best, I have a few problems with it. I would have preferred the Sox getting somebody with better defense, but I think Swish will smash 30-40 homers this year coming to one of the best hitters parks in the AL. The other problem I had was that Kenny got milked for our top 3 prospects. IMO thats the type of deal the Sox could have gotten an ELITE guy for. But Swish is also signed on a good deal.

Edited by jenks45monster

I think the Linebrink signing is the worst, especially after they signed Dotel. With the volatility of relievers, combined with the bounceback chances for guys already in the Sox pen, I think four years was too much.

I think the best deal will be Alexei Ramirez, who even if we get one good year out of, will be a steal at a total under $5 million. Second I think is the Swisher deal. With our history of prospects, the Sox usually sell high and win these deals.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
If Uribe can play solid D at 2B and hit 25 dingers, I think the Sox will be a force in the central. something tells me this move to 2B could be a wake-up call for this guy (at least i hope so).

Richar is a better hitter than Uribe already and should be at least starting against all righties over Uribe, if Uribe isn't traded.