Workout Tips & Tricks

Texsox

QUOTE (Stocking @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 06:05 PM)
Nice work Sonik, now maintain.

It's not going to be a problem for me, I'm so motivated to never be that way again. I'm happy now. I also keep losing weight, cuz there's still weight to lose. Down to 168. I work out pretty hard every M-F, and try to relax on the weekends, but even then I still feel like i need to do something.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 05:56 PM)
It's not going to be a problem for me, I'm so motivated to never be that way again. I'm happy now. I also keep losing weight, cuz there's still weight to lose. Down to 168. I work out pretty hard every M-F, and try to relax on the weekends, but even then I still feel like i need to do something.

The motivation is high. But keep in mind that will wane over time as you get comfortable with what you have accomplished. Your discipline will succomb to some of your favorite foods, sometimes too often. Lifestyle changes all tend to have a negative effect on your accomplishments. A new job, marriage, having kids, etc. Many things can change your schedule and make it harder to get to the gym or workout. All that said, acknowledge those potential potholes and you'll be okay. If you slip a little, and most likely you will, recognize it and get back at it. That's the key to long term success.

Listen to Rex, sonik. The last thing you want to do is go around thinking you're invincible now. The ultimate challenge truly is to maintain. I myself have had a few problems the last 6 weeks or so as far as motivation goes. For like 8 months I was obsessed. I just wanted the weight off as quickly as possible. No matter the cost. And I lost even more than I had planned (82 pounds to be exact). Now that it's off, my motivation is up and down. I used to go to the gym 5 days a week. No questions asked. Lately I've been going maybe 2 days a week, 3 tops. And I've definitely been feasting on a little too much Crazy Bread/Pancakes/other high calorie, high fat stuff of late. I should've listened to Rex when he said to mix in cheat days/meals with my diet. That way you won't feel so deprived. For 8 months I was the healthiest eating motherf***er on the planet. Now I'm getting this ridiculous cravings of late (and it's not for baked chicken, salad or veggies). I haven't gained any weight back. But it's always in the back of my mind.

Hey, Rex, did you see my pic? http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=74559

That's from about a month ago. I've got a couple before pics of when I was 232. I'm going to get them up soon as I can. You won't believe the difference. If I do say so myself.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 07:24 AM)
Listen to Rex, sonik. The last thing you want to do is go around thinking you're invincible now. The ultimate challenge truly is to maintain. I myself have had a few problems the last 6 weeks or so as far as motivation goes. For like 8 months I was obsessed. I just wanted the weight off as quickly as possible. No matter the cost. And I lost even more than I had planned (82 pounds to be exact). Now that it's off, my motivation is up and down. I used to go to the gym 5 days a week. No questions asked. Lately I've been going maybe 2 days a week, 3 tops. And I've definitely been feasting on a little too much Crazy Bread/Pancakes/other high calorie, high fat stuff of late. I should've listened to Rex when he said to mix in cheat days/meals with my diet. That way you won't feel so deprived. For 8 months I was the healthiest eating motherf***er on the planet. Now I'm getting this ridiculous cravings of late (and it's not for baked chicken, salad or veggies). I haven't gained any weight back. But it's always in the back of my mind.

I'm gonna keep all of that in mind. I've done the thing with my diet where I'll have a cheat day here or there and that seems to keep me from getting cravings for the foods i loved like pizza and fast food. I'm working out harder now that I've reached my goal so as of now i dont think its gonna be a problem. Especially being at school because I have nothing but free time. Thanks for all the tips, and i hope the weight will keep coming off.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 12:09 PM)
I'm gonna keep all of that in mind. I've done the thing with my diet where I'll have a cheat day here or there and that seems to keep me from getting cravings for the foods i loved like pizza and fast food. I'm working out harder now that I've reached my goal so as of now i dont think its gonna be a problem. Especially being at school because I have nothing but free time. Thanks for all the tips, and i hope the weight will keep coming off.

Cheating is for losers and coffee is for closers.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it possible for your muscles to be too strong for your ligaments, joints and tendons?? I injure my shoulders if exceed a certain amount of weight on my bench or military presses. The problem is that the weight I'm working with, doesn't cause a problem, but it's no longer challenging my muscles, so I move up in weight, even slightly and bam, I get injured.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)
Is it possible for your muscles to be too strong for your ligaments, joints and tendons?? I injure my shoulders if exceed a certain amount of weight on my bench or military presses. The problem is that the weight I'm working with, doesn't cause a problem, but it's no longer challenging my muscles, so I move up in weight, even slightly and bam, I get injured.

Similar problem with me, I get to a certain point with my weights where if I go too far I get injured. But I think I may have been overdoing the lifting. Then again for me, it is one injury after another, first my shoulder, then foot, then knee, then shoulder. Nothing major requiring an x-ray, just plain stupidity I feel.

I used to be using weights but now I just stick to mostly non-weight exercises and I have seen a more noticeable difference and I get a better workout out of it. I actually feel sore at the end of my workout, never really did with free weights. Weights I always felt put too much strain on my muscles and this is a more direct way for me to workout and control my own progress I feel. I'll get back on weights eventually though.

Pullups

Chinups

Pushups

Leg Extensions

Leg Curls

Calf Raise

Inverted Row

Dips

Plank

Lunges

Ab Exercises (situps, crunches, etc)

I do pushups M, W, F, and everything else M-Sun. Now, you can workout everyday as long as your not really sore the next day right? I'm thinking I should take at least one day on the weekend off just in case. I don't feel like I'm overdoing it, trying to play catch up at the moment. Just curious if you can get away with working out everyday. I figure the stronger I get, another rest day will be needed.

I weight about 150 and avg body type, by that I mean I look fit but in reality I'm not that strong.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 23, 2009 -> 01:13 PM)

Yes, your body is really dependent on your bones and ligaments for any movement, they all compliment each other. It could be that they arent having enough recovery time or that you arent maintaining the stabilizing muscles. Instead of peppering those same exercises, try some body weight movements and work on flexibility with weight and help strengthen those ligaments.

• 1 month later...

Yes, running would be essential. I personally limit my running to where I’m just breaking a sweat since I’m trying not to lose weight, but gain weight (muscle mass is what I crave for). And from my personal experience, drinking water (at least half a gallon a day) will help in losing weight. The body needs to be hydrated and maintain that boost to keep you wanting more (in this case: energy to exercise).

Yes - Running and water and good eating habits should do the trick. I've noticed it alot this month. I go to a restraunt eat alot, weight 148 come home run and it goes down to 146. Might not be all due to running but instead me just getting the food through my system, but it is nice to see happen after a nice long run.

Dont drink any soda (if you can) or fast food (obvious one).

Well I'm around 6 feet tall 145-148 lbs. so I'm definitely trying to gain muscle/weight. I am going to make a post here soon in the eating thread to help me get going. I have never worked out really in my life (age 20 right now) other then the past year, so I started slowly and just been going crazy lately (past 2 months). I've been running alot for the past 2 years and recently almost daily for the past 6 months (I know.. opposite of my goal lol), but yes - goal: Gain muscle/weight the correct way.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 20, 2010 -> 11:20 AM)
Well I'm around 6 feet tall 145-148 lbs. so I'm definitely trying to gain muscle/weight.

Man.. I'm only 5'8 but I weigh 180.. :lol: Though now I'm down to 170 since working out. :) Still got a long way to go though. Good thing Reddy, Mike and a couple others are here. I feel at home with my shortness with them. :)

Edited by SoxAce

Well now that we’re putting height out there, I can freely say that I’m 5’6 and weigh 148lbs. :lol:

My goal: Get back to my senior year in high school where I was at 155 and had a nice bulky look to my size and what looked like my face. I stopped working out after high school because lack of time (had two jobs) and now I want to get back there and keep building on that.

And I must point out that although I did weigh around 7-8 lbs more, I can still keep up with lifting the same weights. Could be that some of that bulk was just fat?

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Heads22 @ Feb 9, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
Well, now that Yoda's out there, I'll say I'm 5' 9" and typically go 137. My weight has fluctuated between 130-140 most of the last year. :)

I'm in the same boat for the most part. I can eat as much as I want and not gain a pound, great metabolism I suppose.

5'10" at 150

Now, I have been trying to put on mass for a while now, I've been working out every other day since the summer and I am fit but you wouldn't know if I was or not if my shirt is on. I literally have to eat like 6 meals a day to gain any weight and since I'm stuck in an office all day I really don't want to do so because I know it will catch up to me from sitting down all day.

I mostly have been sticking to 2-3 sets of 10 and every 3-4 weeks I will switch to a different exercise for a muscle group as a change of pace.

Do you guys think switching to less reps and more weights might help some? Looking for more mass.

I'm thinking of inputting a heavier workout into my routine in between my normal ten set days.

I'm thinking I would go one day 10 set, next 6, then 10 and etc...

Also, I have had numerous shoulder issues, nothing too serious just frequent strains, they seem to be fine but Im skeptical about switching to heavier weights. My usual shoulder exercises are seated military press and upright row, do you guys have any other exercises that might be less stressful and more effective?

Edited by ChWRoCk2

If you want more mass, you definitely need to do more weight and less reps. But if you are a victim of chronic strains and the like, you may wish to consult a physician or trainer before doing anything too difficult.

I'm going to head out on the road bike today for about an 8 mile ride. We'll see how the quitting smoking and recent working out have helped my endurance.

Pray that I don't die. It's a concrete jungle out there in Vegas...

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
I'm in the same boat for the most part. I can eat as much as I want and not gain a pound, great metabolism I suppose.

5'10" at 150

Now, I have been trying to put on mass for a while now, I've been working out every other day since the summer and I am fit but you wouldn't know if I was or not if my shirt is on. I literally have to eat like 6 meals a day to gain any weight and since I'm stuck in an office all day I really don't want to do so because I know it will catch up to me from sitting down all day.

I mostly have been sticking to 2-3 sets of 10 and every 3-4 weeks I will switch to a different exercise for a muscle group as a change of pace.

Do you guys think switching to less reps and more weights might help some? Looking for more mass.

I'm thinking of inputting a heavier workout into my routine in between my normal ten set days.

I'm thinking I would go one day 10 set, next 6, then 10 and etc...

Also, I have had numerous shoulder issues, nothing too serious just frequent strains, they seem to be fine but Im skeptical about switching to heavier weights. My usual shoulder exercises are seated military press and upright row, do you guys have any other exercises that might be less stressful and more effective?

I've heard that to gain muscle size the best way is to do your 1st set at 10 reps, add 5 lbs do the 2nd at 8 reps, and add 5 lbs again and do the 3rd at 6 reps. Make the last set to failure. This way you're telling your muscles that they need to grow. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and I've already seen a difference in size and strength. I think I'll be sticking with this workout technique.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
I've heard that to gain muscle size the best way is to do your 1st set at 10 reps, add 5 lbs do the 2nd at 8 reps, and add 5 lbs again and do the 3rd at 6 reps. Make the last set to failure. This way you're telling your muscles that they need to grow. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and I've already seen a difference in size and strength. I think I'll be sticking with this workout technique.

What if you only have dumb-bells and no weights? :( Highest amount of weight I got is 10 lbs. I usually do pushups (usually a couple sets) then up it by 10 every 2 weeks.