Who do you want starting in the last outfield spot?

DaTank

With Owens likely to start the season on the DL, that means Anderson and Quentin will both be on the team. The question is: Do you want Anderson starting in CF with Swish in LF or Quentin starting in LF and Swish in CF? Personally, I like Anderson in CF and Swish in LF because I love Anderson's D and think he will come around this time with the bat. So, who would you rather have starting?

QUOTE(ROC Sox Fan @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
I feel like I haven't heard nearly as much about Quentin this spring as Anderson and Owens. What's going on with him?

Quentin hasn't gotten a ton of AB's this spring because he's still trying to rebuild strength in his shoulder. He started off slowly but has improved significantly in the last week or so.

So, with Owens out... who's going to play CF? Swisher or Anderson?

It makes the most sense to put Swisher in left and Anderson in CF, but not sure that's how Ozzie will play it.

I could see him playing Swisher in CF, and alternating Anderson/Quentin in left.

Otherwise he's going to be alternating Swisher between left and center depending on whether Anderson or Quentin is playing.

I'm thinking he'll want to keep Swisher in one spot rather than move him around in the outfield.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)
This is honestly the ideal situation for me....both Quentin and Anderson on the team with one of them starting every day...

my ideal would be Owens in LF, Quentin in RF and BA in CF, Swisher at 1B. But I'm guessing I'll have to wait until August 1st.

anderson. quentin's still hurting a bit any way so it makes sense to see if anderson can keep his mo going into games that actually count. this would be, i would say, his last chance with the sox.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
So, with Owens out... who's going to play CF? Swisher or Anderson?

It makes the most sense to put Swisher in left and Anderson in CF, but not sure that's how Ozzie will play it.

I could see him playing Swisher in CF, and alternating Anderson/Quentin in left.

Otherwise he's going to be alternating Swisher between left and center depending on whether Anderson or Quentin is playing.

I'm thinking he'll want to keep Swisher in one spot rather than move him around in the outfield.

It would be absolute insanity to play Swisher in CF over Anderson. Totally nuts. If Anderson is playing you put him in CF.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 08:59 PM)
It would be absolute insanity to play Swisher in CF over Anderson. Totally nuts. If Anderson is playing you put him in CF.

I agree with you. That's what I would do. But all the way back to SoxFest, we've been hearing how KW/Ozzie did not want to be moving Swisher around in the outfield.

And so let's assume BA plays center...

When Quentin plays, what happens? Brian comes out and Swisher moves from left to center?

Just trying to figure out how Anderson and Quentin are both going to get playing time... and how it affects where we play Swisher.

Edited by scenario

Anderson has been superb this Spring, so obviously you have to go with him. It's too bad Quentin isn't fully healthy yet, because it would have been nice to see what he could have done to try and match Anderson's production.

But I think it's clear that BA has earned the right to be a starter, and hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity.

QUOTE(scenario @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 07:12 PM)
I agree with you. That's what I would do. But all the way back to SoxFest, we've been hearing how KW/Ozzie did not want to be moving Swisher around in the outfield.

And so let's assume BA plays center...

When Quentin plays, what happens? Brian comes out and Swisher moves from left to center?

Just trying to figure out how Anderson and Quentin are both going to get playing time... and how it affects where we play Swisher.

IMO, Brian is by far our best CF. If he's hitting, play him every day, or use Ramirez if he needs a break. If you want to work Quentin in, use the DH slot and give Dye some extra rest.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)
IMO, Brian is by far our best CF. If he's hitting, play him every day, or use Ramirez if he needs a break. If you want to work Quentin in, use the DH slot and give Dye some extra rest.

I think the Sox will (and should) be more worried about giving Thome some days off (especially vs. lefties), since he's more important to our lineup than Dye. Thome being in our lineup vs. not being in there is like night and day, and we absolutely must keep him healthy if we want to have any chance for success in 2008.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
I think the Sox will (and should) be more worried about giving Thome some days off (especially vs. lefties), since he's more important to our lineup than Dye. Thome being in our lineup vs. not being in there is like night and day, and we absolutely must keep him healthy if we want to have any chance for success in 2008.

The correct way to do exactly that, and to rest both Dye and Thome...is to DH Dye for a few days and put Quentin in RF for those days.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:53 PM)
The correct way to do exactly that, and to rest both Dye and Thome...is to DH Dye for a few days and put Quentin in RF for those days.

haha I read your post and I was about to say "no no they should DH Dye and use Quentin in RF" and then realize thats exactly what you said. I'm dumb.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 09:53 PM)

There really are a few options, you can DH Paulie sometimes aginst LHP and put Swish at 1B and Quentin in LF, Dye can DH some against LHP with Quentin going to RF. Give Paulie an occasional day off too and send Quentin to the OF. I think the best thing that this roster has going for it is the flexibility of some of the players to handle multiple positions and fill in gaps when we have an injury or need to rest someone.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 07:53 PM)

That makes the most sense if Quentin's shoulder were completely healthy. Maybe we'll see in the last week of ST weather he can cut it loose on his throws. I'd love to see Quentin (DH) out there on opening day along with Ramirez (2B) and Anderson (CF) against Sabathia.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 08:24 PM)
Do you want Anderson starting in CF with Swish in LF or Quentin starting in LF and Swish in CF? Personally, I like Anderson in CF and Swish in LF because I love Anderson's D and think he will come around this time with the bat. So, who would you rather have starting?

I agree with you 100%. I think it's a total no-brainer. We have only 2 legit CF'ers on this team - Owens and Anderson. One of those two has to start in CF, period. Otherwise we are very exposed defensively. Quentin can be the 4th OF and take over for Dye next year or the year after.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 07:56 PM)
my ideal would be Owens in LF, Quentin in RF and BA in CF, Swisher at 1B. But I'm guessing I'll have to wait until August 1st.

I'd like to see this too, just not quite as early as you as you state.