The Start of a Season, Why Are You Here?

Texsox

The nail that sticks out gets hammered, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

The mods and admins around here receive all sorts of suggestions on how this forum, and specifically, the heart and soul, Pale Hose Talk, should be managed. All of those suggestions are reviewed and discussed. But it seems that we only receive comments from a small group of posters, and perhaps not so surprisingly, they tend to complain about each other and how the other is "ruining the board".

So please take a moment and either post here, or send a PM to any of the mods or admins, about what makes this place good for you. Is there ever too much positive sunshine or too much negative rain? What kinds of posts add to the site, and what kinds of posts subtract from the site. What makes you come, and as importantly, what makes you leave.

It is the start of a season, and we'd like to be certain we are serving the greatest number of posters.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there will always be too positive and too negative comments...its how it is...the people who hate a specific player will post when that player does something bad, and the people who back that player will post when he does something good, that just makes it seem like a complete bipolar board, but its inevitable and theres nothing you can do about it

in general i think the mods are good at removing/moving the threads that subtract from the site. my biggest frustrations are when there are like 15 topics talking about the same thing (ie joe crede vs. josh fields). i come to the board because it is the best place for my sox centered world...its a central place to find sox news that might be posted at many different sites across the net, but all those articles and tidbits are generally linked or localized here, which makes it really convenient to find all the sox info out there....i also love the minor league game threads as its the best place on the net to find out how the sox prospects did that day

things i dont like: any poll....quite frankly there is just rarely a good, and relevant one posted. also i hate the constant bickering that goes on between some posters that takes over threads, but thats inevitable as well

Edited by daa84

I'd have to say that I come here more for the non-Sox forums lately than the Sox-related forums.

When I go to PHT, it's usually to see how people are reacting to the latest game, or Sox news like callups or lineup changes.

I love this place, and I'm not ashamed to say it!!!!

:D

I come here because it's about EVERYTHING white sox baseball. Not only can I read intelligent opinions on today's game and players but it's the only place I can also read real sox fans opinions on topics that range from the new paul konerko commercial to the beer sold at old comiskey before I was even born. That's what I love about this place.

Why AM I here? I should be doing the dishes or something.

Seriesly, I'm here (more time spent on Soxtalk than anywhere else on the internet) because being that I don't live in the Chicago area any more this place makes me feel like I do. I can keep atop all things White Sox and then some. Game threads are a blast whether they're in progress or reading it the next day because I missed the game. What I really am thankful for too is the Future board. I love catching up with the latest minor league affiliate news. Adopt A Prospect was a neat idea and I wish it were a little more lively. I also am appreciative of the opportunity to play fantasy sports with a bunch of fellow Sox fans. SLAM is fun because there's often some pretty interesting or really funny s*** in there.

The only thing that ever drives me away from Soxtalk is the realization that I had better go do the frickin' dishes or some such thing.

I'm very happy with this site and think the ones who do most of the posting usually have insightful things to post. The ones constantly calling for KW's head, the continuous Crede bashing, and the general negativity can get tiresome, but I suppose that's really what ST is founded on. In short, there's a heck of a lot more good than bad at ST and it's not even close, so keep it up.

Having discussed this a few times recently, I have been thinking that it isnt really specific people, but rather the tone of the entire base of soxtalk members. I love coming here and reading opinions and arguments and stories and experiences, from the SLaM forum all the way up to Pale Hose Talk, I love the entire website. Its the first and last thing I read during the day, the speed of the flow of information through soxtalk rivals cnn.com sometimes.

It just seems that a lot of resentment has built up throughout the site recently. Maybe it is because it is an election year, maybe its because the Sox had a severely subpar year last year, maybe it is just the evolution of the type of discussion that happens here, I dont know. To me it just seems like every post is baited, the people that used to really enjoy the site are unhappy, and people turn on each other far too quickly anymore.

This post is not directed at any one person specifically. I am probably just as guilty as any one else of anything I mentioned.

to answer your question, I am here because I view coming to this site as meeting a great bunch of friends, some of whom really get along, others not so much.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
Having discussed this a few times recently, I have been thinking that it isnt really specific people, but rather the tone of the entire base of soxtalk members. I love coming here and reading opinions and arguments and stories and experiences, from the SLaM forum all the way up to Pale Hose Talk, I love the entire website. Its the first and last thing I read during the day, the speed of the flow of information through soxtalk rivals cnn.com sometimes.

It just seems that a lot of resentment has built up throughout the site recently. Maybe it is because it is an election year, maybe its because the Sox had a severely subpar year last year, maybe it is just the evolution of the type of discussion that happens here, I dont know. To me it just seems like every post is baited, the people that used to really enjoy the site are unhappy, and people turn on each other far too quickly anymore.

This post is not directed at any one person specifically. I am probably just as guilty as any one else of anything I mentioned.

to answer your question, I am here because I view coming to this site as meeting a great bunch of friends, some of whom really get along, others not so much.

BINGO! That in a nutshell has been a number of conversations we've had as mods and admins and wondering what, or even if, we should do something about it.

Years ago, I wondered why a Sox forum would ban specific topics, like attendance or Mariotti. While attendance has not been a cantankerous issue here, there are many times I wish we would ban Crede/Fields threads and Mariotti myself. We have some people who come here to complain and some who come here to feel better about being a Sox fan. perhaps those two are at odds to each other and each need separate space.

I want to add, we are not about to ban Fields/Crede discussion or do anything like that. Its more we are trying to come up with ideas to get back to making everyone comfortable to post and just kind of do what we can to help improve the tone on the site (and by tone I'm talking more people getting overly snippy with each other not necessarily saying that everything is always good on the SouthSide and that no one can ever say anything bad about the White Sox).

I touched on this a week or two ago, in one of the Crede/Fields threads. I come here because it is the best place to come for intelligent discussion on the White Sox.

When I leave my homepage, and start to type a url address, Soxtalk.com is the first that comes up, because I come here more than any other website.

That being said...I have raised the issue of just "why people come here?" if they're going to constantly spew negativity. Or just "why do some people even watch the games?" if they constantly hate every move we make or expect the worst to happen. And regarding some posters, and some reasonably significant percentage of posters, I'm still not certain of what the answer is. Perhaps masochism or self-flagellation?

I know that I am a poster who is rather optimistic about things, whether that is the direction of the front office, the direction of the organization, or the direction of the team on the field. And while that may be as inaccurate as some of the more negative posters in regard to the White Sox, I feel it is certainly more logical an attitude to have if one is to frequent a site such as Soxtalk.

I don't mind opinions, and I am not one to stifle discussion in any matter. But honestly, a "Negative Rant" thread is required where those who wish to criticize and spew negativity can go and vent. Otherwise, all of our threads become infected with negativity, which eventually gets called-out by some of the more positive posters, and everything just becomes sort of a good v. evil debate, rather than a rational, logical, and informative discussion of the topic at hand.

I do enjoy the quirky personalities we have here, and I love sarcasm as much as the next guy. But it's time to start cheering for the team we have on the field, whether you agree with it or not. It's fine if you want to *hope* your guy gets in the game or gets called up. But it's really difficult to enjoy a game thread when so many are hoping for certain players to fail so that change will occur more quickly or drastically.

These are some of the things I enjoy and dislike about Soxtalk.

Edited by iamshack

Having known about the site for a while before I ever registered, Soxtalk does have a reputation of being in panic mode all the time. But that doesn't really bother me. The only thing that honestly bothers me is the constant hijacks to Crede vs. Fields but that really can't be prevented. A year or so ago it was Brian Anderson vs. Darin Erstad, or better yet Anderson vs. Anderson wasn't it? On the Bears official board (which I avoid like the plague) they actually had to create a subforum called "Bears QB discussion" because they couldn't stop getting people to argue about Grossman vs. Griese. It's just a byproduct of a message board you have to live with.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Another problem that has seemed to become more and more prevalent is posts with no substance. Everyone is guilty of it(myself included), but the amount of posts of this nature have seemed to increase. Before you hit the "post" button, especially in PHT, ask yourself "Does this post actually add anything to the discussion?"

It's really not the quantity of posts that are lacking. It's quality.

Agree. You and Kyyle nailed it. Its the tone and substance of the posts. Negative, positive, whatever. Its the snarky, sarcastic pokes and prods that serve no purpose other than to make other people angry. Pointless.

But as to why I am here, I'll give you the perfect testament. I can say without a doubt that I know far more know about baseball and the Sox, because I visit this site. That is its biggest strength - the knowledge found here.

Because all of you guys are my family.

But seriously, this site is a fun place to go to. Breaking news about the White Sox is insightful. Sometimes I see breaking news on not just the Sox, but baseball in general, other sports, and in just about anything else. It's an informative website, and it's fun to read everyone's views on different issues.

Mainly I'm excited for the White Sox baseball.

Edited by WilliamTell

I come because it is a great place for information and I've made several "friends" here who I PM with routinely. I've met several people from this forum. That's why I come to SoxTalk overall.

Before I give any more information, I'd like assurances that further feedback is free. That is: we are allowed to speak freely and openly, as long as it is with good faith, no matter if it is critical of X or Y.

Actually, I am only going to share my thoughts with Gage, but want to clarify what I meant with the second "paragraph" of this post -- I didn't mean critical of any posters or moderators or Administrators.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

I come hear for breaking whitesox news.But slam takes most of my time up on soxtalk,love the music and film talk.But I cant stand gamethreads here and it is the one thing that makes me lose alot of respect for some of the posters here when it comes to sportstalk.There posts in gamethreads are exactly the type of stuff I cant watch a game with.Posters that have great thoughts in other threads are complete meatheads when the actual game starts.And there is no way to change all this,I will just stay away and count how many times the words suck and worst are used.You guys can go on the rollercoaster of emotions and I will sit back with the ones who are smart enough to enjoy baseball for better or for worse.

Site has been great. I am pretty new here, but I always came here to read before my account got validated. I am glad I am here and we only can thank the higher ups. Heres to the future :cheers

I come around for intelligent discussion of sox related happenings--mostly in season. Yet I do like the offseason trades, building up the team for the new year and "playing GM" on line.

As someone who hasn't posted much recently, I can't speak to the tone. But I can see with too much non-baseball time on people's hands, there is more time to get on one another's nerves. Maybe now that people can talk about the regular season happenings, the climate will improve. Especially if the sox keep playing with consistency and effort. How the sox play, IMO has an effect on the site. When it became clear last year the sox were an embarassment, and were barely showing a pulse, it was hard to follow them. At the end, the sox players didn't care and neither did I. So far, this group and year has a different feel.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 06:56 PM)
I come because it is a great place for information and I've made several "friends" here who I PM with routinely. I've met several people from this forum. That's why I come to SoxTalk overall.

Before I give any more information, I'd like assurances that further feedback is free. That is: we are allowed to speak freely and openly, as long as it is with good faith, no matter if it is critical of X or Y.

Actually, I am only going to share my thoughts with Gage, but want to clarify what I meant with the second "paragraph" of this post -- I didn't mean critical of any posters or moderators or Administrators.

This goes to anyone, please feel free to PM a mod or admin, if you are more comfortable.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 08:30 PM)
I come around for intelligent discussion of sox related happenings--mostly in season. Yet I do like the offseason trades, building up the team for the new year and "playing GM" on line.

As someone who hasn't posted much recently, I can't speak to the tone. But I can see with too much non-baseball time on people's hands, there is more time to get on one another's nerves. Maybe now that people can talk about the regular season happenings, the climate will improve. Especially if the sox keep playing with consistency and effort. How the sox play, IMO has an effect on the site. When it became clear last year the sox were an embarassment, and were barely showing a pulse, it was hard to follow them. At the end, the sox players didn't care and neither did I. So far, this group and year has a different feel.

This place sucks when the Sox are losing, but goes crazy when they do well. Case in point, Rally Crede. One of the most retarded things - ever - and it will forever go down in ST lore.

Needless to say, we've got about as emotional control around here as an 8th grade girl who's unsure about her relationship.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 5, 2008 -> 11:23 PM)
This place sucks when the Sox are losing, but goes crazy when they do well. Case in point, Rally Crede. One of the most retarded things - ever - and it will forever go down in ST lore.

Needless to say, we've got about as emotional control around here as an 8th grade girl who's unsure about her relationship.

I really think that is all that needs to be said. In '05, this place was rock n' roll, everyone was upbeat and the tone was great. Then that off-season and the first half, the place was still great. But then as the Sox started to suck, people got snippy and people naturally were more pissed. I would bet that the White Sox is the favorite team by a wide margin (with other Chicago teams or college teams) of 85% or more of the people on the site. So when the Sox are good, people are happy and when the Sox are doing poorly, people are a little more pissed and quick to react angrily.

Edited by maggsmaggs