Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Associated Press

The NBA has filed for trademark rights to six nicknames for the league's new Oklahoma City franchise: Barons, Bison, Energy, Marshalls, Thunder and Wind.

Eh. Out of all those, I would take Marshalls or Barons. Just because they are plural and this isn't the WNBA.

I thought the suit was pulled when the city and ownership agree on a settlement which essentially kept the name and history of the franchise with the city of Seattle. Now Seattle is going to hope for an expansion team or to lure another franchise over.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 01:46 PM)
I thought the suit was pulled when the city and ownership agree on a settlement which essentially kept the name and history of the franchise with the city of Seattle. Now Seattle is going to hope for an expansion team or to lure another franchise over.

That suit was a suit by the city of Seattle. There was a separate breach of contract suit filed by the team's former owner that is still pending unless something happened while I was out.

The settlement doesn't cover a pending lawsuit filed by Schultz, who is seeking to regain control of the team. Schultz claims that Bennett didn't follow through on an agreement to negotiate in good faith for a new arena in Seattle for one full year before seeking relocation options.

"We believe it's baseless, has no merit. We will fight it vigorously," Bennett said of that lawsuit.

Schultz's attorney, Richard Yarmuth, said his client's lawsuit will move forward. As part of the settlement, if the PBC is prevented from playing in Oklahoma City during the next two seasons because of Schultz's lawsuit, the city will be required to repay Bennett's group $22.5 million for each season. If the team is required to play in KeyArena for those two seasons, Bennett's group is released from the additional $30 million it would owe the city.

"We're not a party to this settlement and in fact we chose not to participate in it," Yarmuth said.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 26, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)

No, the suit was separate from the deal with the city. It is on going and isnt expected to start until next spring. Schultz opted not to file an injunction to keep the team in Seattle until the trial outcome, but is not backing off his suit. Basically, he is arguing that Bennett breached the contract by not making a 'good faith' effort to stay in Seattle. Schultz is 100% correct, by the way. Bennett did not make any real effort. However, the chance that this works is extremely slim. Bennett's group is worried enough, however, to have added a clause in the deal with the city that if Schultz's suit were to win the previous contract with the city will be voided. I hope Seattle can get an expansion franchise soon, but David Stern is such a douchebag i'm not holding out any hope. Also, after this whole fiasco I really dont want to lure an existing team to Seattle as I wouldnt wish the movement of a franchise the way this just happened to the Sonics. You are correct though, that the franchise is staying in Seattle. Championships, statistics, records, colors, name and logo. Basically, Bennett aquired the rights to the players. I also dont see Schultz dropping the case, as he is trying to save some face in Seattle. Basically, i fully expect him to lose, but if he can cause Bennett some grief, frustration and loss of money than I'm more than happy to see him do that.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 07:53 AM)
Too bad Houston's major stars (TMac and Yao) can't ever stay healthy, or else they'd be favorites in the West this year.

You can throw Artest in there too, through injury/suspension he's failed to crack 70 games in 5 of his 9 seasons, and another was 70 on the nose.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 13, 2008 -> 05:24 PM)
3 way deal done today...

CLE gets: Mo Williams (MIL)

OKC gets: Joe Smith (CLE), Desmond Mason (MIL)

MIL gets: Damon Jones (CLE), Luke Ridnour (OKC), Adrian Griffin (OKC)

What the hell is OKC doing? They already have Durant/Green/Wilkins/Gelebale/Weaver to play the 2/3 positions and Collison/Wilcox/Green/White at the 4. Not that Ridnour was worth anything with Westbrook/Watson at 1 but this just doesnt make any sense except clogging up their 2-3-4 positions even more

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 12:43 AM)
Ben Gordon says he's played his last game for the Bulls.

I say good riddance, curse some other team with jacking up 20 random shots a game.

I like how he says that he suffered the most after the Big Ben trade because the Bulls picked up guards and Gordons minutes were reduced, but fails to acknowledge that he was one of the reasons that trade needed to be made(ie. lack of production)

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
I just wonder who's going to be the new whipping boy for Bulls fans now that Gordon isn't coming back. I say it will be Tyrus is no time.

Hinrich. He can leave with Gordon for all I care

Dwyane Wade looks FANTASTIC in the olympics, best I've seen him since the 2006 NBA Finals. I made fun of the idea of how he might come back here to his hometown in a couple years when he's a free agent, thinking he'll be broken down and busted up by then. But looking at him in the olympics, combined with now having Derrick Rose here and likely Ben Gordon gone (and Hughes would be gone by that time too), bring him on.