Official 2008-2009 NBA Thread

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reinsdorf's comments are proof yet again that John Paxson is going nowhere. That's really a shame too, because he's proving himself as one of the NBA's worst GM's, and Derrick Rose can't do it alone so the Bulls will continue to be a poor team as long as Paxson is in charge. Very sad news.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jan 31, 2009 -> 02:25 PM)
Cowley reporting from Soxfest had this to say:

Breaking Bulls news: Chairman tells reporters that he was not calling out Del Negro, but the assistants.

LOL.

Ok, yeah, I don't buy that at all.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
LOL.

Ok, yeah, I don't buy that at all.

It's true. Jerry is pissed because the assistants are pretty high paid(amongst highest in the league IIRC) and apparently they aren't meshing well together. I would've never hired Ociepka. He's never been on even a decent winning team and I'm talking like playoffs. I don't know if he's ever coached in it as even an assistant.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Andrew Bynum out 8-12 weeks (i.e. the rest of the season) with a torn ACL. Crippling blow to the Lakers title prospects. He had really come on the last 10 days or so.

He should be back for the post-season maybe even with a couple of weeks of games to get back into game shape. Than in the west I think Lakers still easily best team so plenty of time for Bynum to get ready for championship.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
He should be back for the post-season maybe even with a couple of weeks of games to get back into game shape. Than in the west I think Lakers still easily best team so plenty of time for Bynum to get ready for championship.

Not nearly as simple as you make it sound. First off, they said the exact same thing after last year's injury, "He'll be back before the playoffs." He missed the rest of the season. Secondly, 8-12 weeks, even assuming it's just 8 weeks (it will more than likely be longer), is a HUGE chunk of the season to miss for any player. Even if he were to make it back right before the playoffs (again, very doubtful), there's no way he'll be able to resume the same level of play after missing that much time. It took Bynum about half the season just to get back to the level he was playing at last year before that injury took place. If this happens in November, it's not as big a deal. But the season is already halfway over.

I do agree that even without Bynum the Lakers are still the best team in the west. The west has really fallen off this year (although the Spurs are always lurking). But as far as beating one of the Celtics/Cavs/Magic, they most definitely need a 100% Bynum. And that's simply not going to happen.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 03:36 PM)
I do agree that even without Bynum the Lakers are still the best team in the west. The west has really fallen off this year (although the Spurs are always lurking). But as far as beating one of the Celtics/Cavs/Magic, they most definitely need a 100% Bynum. And that's simply not going to happen.

Hollinger:

It has huge implications for the next few teams below the Lakers in the standings in the West, because if he's going to be out for the playoffs it would greatly increase those teams' odds of winning a conference championship.

That, in turn, might affect the calculus for a team like Denver or New Orleans should the opportunity to make a major short-term improvement -- at long-term cost -- come their way in the days leading up to the trade deadline.

And it certainly would affect what type of player those teams would be looking for -- basically, they would go from trying to acquire big 5s to looking more for nimble frontcourt players to face a Gasol-Odom frontcourt for L.A.

Anyone want a hard nosed defense oriented SF who can play some bigger guys than him or even on occasion survive at the PF spot and who has a good amount of playoff experience? All I want is an expiring deal, i don't even need the draft pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 08:34 PM)
Kobe's going to put up well over 50 against the Knicks when it's all over.

As soon as I read this post I went to nba.com to see who they were playing (I obviously read this post way too fast. You clearly stated the team they were playing). Point is I had already assumed before I had even gotten to the nba.com page that they had to be playing either the Knicks or Warriors. lol. Not hating on Kobe. He's at worst the second best player in the league. But when he goes crazy like this it's usually against bottom-feeders that play ZERO defense. And the Knicks do indeed qualify.

Edited by Jordan4life

Damn what's up with these point guards gettin beat up. (Ironically the skills challange PG guys) CP3 strained his right calf/groin, Nelson dislocates his right shoulder and Rose has a sprained left foot. Expect Tony Parker and Devin Harris to get injuries as well to complete this magnificant turn of events for the skills challenge.

And yes lostfan you are right. It's the MCL not ACL for Bynum and it's on the opposite leg (last year torn ACL on right knee, this year torn MCL, left knee) I'll tell you this. I'd be hesitant to sign the kid long term. (or after his first big/prime contract) He's had freak injuries but those knees are going to be in real bad shape when the 30's come hittin.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2009 -> 10:32 PM)
Jameer Nelson dislocates shoulder, Magic lose to Mavs. MRI for him tomorrow.

Ok Magic, seriously, you could have used Hinrich before...if Nelson's out for any length of time, now you really need him. Make us a fair offer.

Basically the only contract that we could offer that would fit is Tony Battie's, and he's an ending deal for 2010.

My guess is, AJ will be the starter from here on in, and hopefully we get Nelson back by the playoffs.

We can say goodbye to the #1 or 2 seed in the East now though.

Torn Labrum for Nelson, he can either rehab it, or have surgery and miss the season.

Tough, tough decision, but you got to remember how a dislocated shoulder affected Dwayne Wade.

I'd assume he'll try the rehab.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Feb 3, 2009 -> 11:29 AM)
Torn Labrum for Nelson, he can either rehab it, or have surgery and miss the season.

Tough, tough decision, but you got to remember how a dislocated shoulder affected Dwayne Wade.

I'd assume he'll try the rehab.

Some measure of draft picks, Battie and Bogans/Cook for Hinrich. The Bulls clear a lot of salary, both this year and in the future, suddenly have room to offer Gordon extra money, and potentially still have room to offer Bosh a max contract in 2010 depending on Gordon's final number and the final cap #.