FutureSox 2008 MLB Draft Discussion

BearSox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:42 PM)
I actually watched a lot of clips of Wallace yesterday and my opinion is changing. He's in my better shape than when I saw him a year or two ago. My flaw with Alonso is out of all of the guys he seems to have the least athletic build.

I'm now leaning, Smoak/Beckham/Wallace if we go the college route & Skipworth if we go the prep route. I would take Crow if he somehow fell to us (But I can't see the Reds passing up on him).

Although I am not much on this topic I did see Wallace play this year at ASU. He was a standout, like a pro playing with High school kids. I can see him as paulie's replacement in a few years.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
Regardless I'd like to see the Sox take a different approach in the draft and take a boatload of toolsy but raw middle infielders. These are the type of guys that if they develop can be impact guys at SS/2B & CF (all areas of weakness in the Sox system).

We are pretty bare at the CI positions as well. There is not really any position where we have any amount of depth. Silverio, Miranda, Getz and Paiml should provide some depth in the MI, Shelby, Estill and Gallagher have potential at CF. At the corners Allen and Marrero are at 1B. None of these guys are cant miss, and thats what we need. I want more of a sure thing then a toolsy guy, toolsy guys seem to falter more often than not. I think with the system we have we take the best player regardless of position each time, if you load up on one position you have a better chance of solving that situation in the long run and also have potential pieces to move to acquire some established players down the road. It sounds like Danks could still be around for the Sox due to his lack of power output at Texas, and I dont think there is a doube in anyones mind that Kenny will jump on him if he can. I would like to see the Sox draft BJ Hermsen in the 5th or 6th, he is a hard throwing right hander from near where I live. And actually Ryan Sweeneys school has another kid that is projected to be a more ahtletic version of Ryan Sweeney that will be in the draft, Brent Warren. BBA ranks him as the #130 draft eligilble prospect, an option in the third round if Danks is gone.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ May 26, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
Assuming Hosmer is gone by #8, and Smoak, Alonso, and Wallace aren't, I'd have to go with Smoak. He seems like the most complete player out of the group. Smoak is a great switch-hitting power-hitter that many compare to Mark Teixeira. Also has Gold Glove caliber D. Also, Wallace isn't called "The Walrus" but some scouts for no reason. The kid has a massive body.

877959.jpeg

That pic is from last year. He did lose quite a bit of weight because he knew he was going to 3rd. It'll be interesting to see how he does once the regionals start and if they advance...because he had a HORRENDOUS CWS last year. Something like 1-24. I wouldn't be against taking Wallace...but he's about 3 or 4 down on my list. He is in line though to win his 2nd consecutive Triple Crown in the Pac10 this year...a pretty impressive feat IMO. Actually I think his numbers would have been better if Murphy wouldn't have dicked around batting him leadoff for probably the first 15-20 games. He took off after getting moved back to 3.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ May 28, 2008 -> 09:21 AM)
We are pretty bare at the CI positions as well. There is not really any position where we have any amount of depth. Silverio, Miranda, Getz and Paiml should provide some depth in the MI, Shelby, Estill and Gallagher have potential at CF. At the corners Allen and Marrero are at 1B. None of these guys are cant miss, and thats what we need. I want more of a sure thing then a toolsy guy, toolsy guys seem to falter more often than not. I think with the system we have we take the best player regardless of position each time,

I agree that with how bad our farm system is we should probably just be taking the BPA regardless of position. Our minors system needs a major infusion of talent.

So it's safe to say Beckham's definitely going #1.

Alvarez is pretty certain not going to be on the board at #8, and from what I've heard, Aaron Crow is probably top 5, with a guarantee at #7 if he's still on the board.

Posey and Skipworth as much as I'd love for either to still be there at #8, probably isn't going to happen.

So IMHO, that leaves Smoak, Matusz (least likely, probable top 6), Alonso, Hosmer (really hoping he goes before our pick, KC or Baltimore the most likely), Gordon Beckham, Wallace and Melville as the guys most likely to be there, or round-abouts at #8.

Beckham is the interesting one, if he could stay at SS I would certainly pick him. But that isn't likely going to happen (he may not even stay at 2B or 3B). So I think if Smoak is there, the Sox really should go down that route (although I would like Matusz if he's still there).

If we take Wallace I'm going to be disappointed.

I am willing to bet any amount of money that Justin Smoak is taken by the Giants with the 5th pick, so long as Alvarez doesn't slide down to them... The Giants wants bats in their system, and most likely a college bat that can impact them sooner than later considering how horrific their current offense is. I bet they take Smoak if Alvarez is off the board and pencil him in as their 1b of the future (considering he'd arrive in SF long before Angel Villalona anyways)

Posey, Alvarez, Matusz, Crow, Smoak, T. Beckham, and Skipworth are probably all gone by the time we pick.... IMO it's gonna come down to Hosmer, Wallace, or G. Beckham...

If Smoak was there i'd be pumped... but I'm seriously doubting that's going to happen. Teams will view Smoak as the cheaper and more advanced alternative to the Hosmer (high school, Boras client)...

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ May 29, 2008 -> 04:45 PM)
I am willing to bet any amount of money that Justin Smoak is taken by the Giants with the 5th pick, so long as Alvarez doesn't slide down to them... The Giants wants bats in their system, and most likely a college bat that can impact them sooner than later considering how horrific their current offense is. I bet they take Smoak if Alvarez is off the board and pencil him in as their 1b of the future (considering he'd arrive in SF long before Angel Villalona anyways)

Posey, Alvarez, Matusz, Crow, Smoak, T. Beckham, and Skipworth are probably all gone by the time we pick.... IMO it's gonna come down to Hosmer, Wallace, or G. Beckham...

If Smoak was there i'd be pumped... but I'm seriously doubting that's going to happen. Teams will view Smoak as the cheaper and more advanced alternative to the Hosmer (high school, Boras client)...

Smoak will likely be the pick for the Giants if the Rays take Posey. However, if the Rays pass on Posey and go for Beckham or Alvarez, Posey will likely slide to 5, where the Giants would undoubtedly jump all over him.

QUOTE (Fantl916 @ May 29, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)

No Alfonso Yonder love?!? He really seems to be the forgotten guy who's a pretty solid hitter.

I got the chance to watch Crow pitch for Mizzou today against Ole Miss on ESPNU. He was filthy! His fastball was solid, as it was in the 92 mph range the whole game. However, his slider was absolutely amazing. He's as good of a college pitcher I've seen in a long time. On the other hand, former Braves player Brian Jordan was the announcer. Holy cow, he was bad. He sounded like Cleveland from "Family Guy". I'll continue to give updates from the regionals.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
I got the chance to watch Crow pitch for Mizzou today against Ole Miss on ESPNU. He was filthy! His fastball was solid, as it was in the 92 mph range the whole game. However, his slider was absolutely amazing. He's as good of a college pitcher I've seen in a long time. On the other hand, former Braves player Brian Jordan was the announcer. Holy cow, he was bad. He sounded like Cleveland from "Family Guy". I'll continue to give updates from the regionals.

Duh! Fathom, just joking. But seriously, Danman and I have been hyping (Danman longer than me) Crow for a long time. Is fastball is usually in the mid 90s the entire game, so he might not have had his plus fastball today. Usually it has nasty movement as well. And well, his slider, although he uses it too much prolly, it is wicked and mid 80s. Crow also has a changeup that is solid. I am telling you if he is there for Sox, you can't pass him up despite that fact that pitching is not a need for us.

What I'm REALLY hoping for is either an overdraft somewhere in seven slots before us or Hosmer's demands not to scare anyone. It seems every year, even in the days leading up to the draft, there are a few surprises. It's so typical of the White Sox that we're at a quality position, but seemingly everything that is appealing (to me atleast) ends at 7. Beckham isn't a terrible player, but nothing about him would scream franchise player to me. This is ultimately my focus at our position. I won't even consider Wallace because it angers me to think about it.

Just one surprise into the mix and one of Skipworth, Crow or Smoak will be available. That's all I'm asking for. One surprise before us.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (danman31 @ May 30, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Yeah, Crow has pretty good command of his fastball. I always thought that was his best attribute, but I didn't get to see today's start (stupid ESPNU). He's a legit top 10 pick, that's for sure.

Yeah, it was one time I wished I was back at school. I love home and everything about it, but no damn ESPNU and although Gametracker is nice, it ain't like watching the real thing.

So the Giants are obsessed with Smoak, so he's probably not going to be there. The word going around the BA office is that KW has his sights set on Beckham of Uga. KW went to see Beckham at the SEC tournament, and he stunk. I didn't know that Wallace won the Pac10 triple crown two straight seasons.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)

Be careful judging sliders in college. I read an article where the college baseball has much bigger seams. Hansen with Boston was supposed to be filthy, but when he went to the professional ball, his slider lost a lot of bite. That said, if he's going to have a great slider in the pros, its going to be nasty in college as well. It seems the college ball is the college pitcher's aluminum bat.

Brett Wallace is a stud baseball player. The guy doesn't get the credit he deserves because he has a big butt... but I tell you what, I don't think you can go wrong with him. He is a good athlete. I think he is a better athlete than Smoak.

If Smoak is Mark Teixeira... then I'd say that Wallace is Lance Berkman

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
So the Giants are obsessed with Smoak, so he's probably not going to be there. The word going around the BA office is that KW has his sights set on Beckham of Uga. KW went to see Beckham at the SEC tournament, and he stunk. I didn't know that Wallace won the Pac10 triple crown two straight seasons.

He had a couple games in the SEC Tournament. If teams judged guys based on there SEC tourney, Alvarez wouldn't go top 10 either (he was freaking terrible in the SEC Tourney). Its about the body of work and the skills you possess and flash throughout the season and there is no doubt that Beckham emerged as the #2 middle infield prospect in the draft and he's definately worthy of going #8.

Giants have been high on Smoak for a while, but it doesn't necessarily mean he goes there (if Alvarez slides to him, they'll grab him instead).

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:54 AM)
Brett Wallace is a stud baseball player. The guy doesn't get the credit he deserves because he has a big butt... but I tell you what, I don't think you can go wrong with him. He is a good athlete. I think he is a better athlete than Smoak.

If Smoak is Mark Teixeira... then I'd say that Wallace is Lance Berkman

Those could be solid comparisons, with one exception. Lance Berkman was a CFer at one point in his career and he could handle all 3 outfield positions to an extent. I think offensively the comparisons are similar in the sense that both Smoak/Wallace have the ability to develop into those type of hitters and honestly, if you are going pure offense, those guys, along with Alvarez, are three guys you really be hard pressed to go wrong with.

I'd still grade them out (Solely Offense): Smoak, Alvarez, Wallace

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 31, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
Those could be solid comparisons, with one exception. Lance Berkman was a CFer at one point in his career and he could handle all 3 outfield positions to an extent. I think offensively the comparisons are similar in the sense that both Smoak/Wallace have the ability to develop into those type of hitters and honestly, if you are going pure offense, those guys, along with Alvarez, are three guys you really be hard pressed to go wrong with.

I'd still grade them out (Solely Offense): Smoak, Alvarez, Wallace

I know what you mean... I am just thinking Smoak and Wallace Offensively.

I just think Wallace is a better athlete... better speed IMO.

I just think Wallace is very underrated.

I think he is a better hitter than Alvarez too.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 31, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
I know what you mean... I am just thinking Smoak and Wallace Offensively.

I just think Wallace is a better athlete... better speed IMO.

I just think Wallace is very underrated.

I think he is a better hitter than Alvarez too.

The one thing with Wallace is that he's going to have to really work every off-season to make sure he keeps the speed he has (because he does have good speed for a corner infielder, despite his large torso). He dropped a significant amount of weight this past year and hopefully when he gets drafted he will stay serious (I see no reason he wouldn't as I've never read anything which has questioned his work-ethic) and continue to stay in shape and keep those pounds off (because as long as he's able to do that, he should be able to rake and he should move up the latter very quickly).

2 weeks ago, I would have had nothing to do with Wallace. Now, if the Sox are going to take a bat and Skipworth/Smoak are gone (I'm already assuming Alvarez and Crow/Matsusz (The two pitchers I'd have no problem taking are gone) than I'd have no problem going the Wallace or Beckham approach (Wallace is the much safer pick, Beckham could fill a tougher position but offensively I would be stunned if Beckham ever hit like Wallace did at a major league level (that isn't a knock on Beckham either).

Sickels has his first round mock up. I think it's completely f***ed up, but that's just me.

1) Tampa Bay: Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vandy

2) Pittsburgh: Tim Beckham, SS, Georgia HS

3) Kansas City: Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

4) Baltimore: Eric Hosmer, 1B, Florida HS

5) San Francisco: Yonder Alonso, 1B, Miami-Florida

6) Florida: Buster Posey, C, Florida State

7) Cincinnati: Gordon Beckham, SS, Georgia

8) Chicago WS: Kyle Skipworth, C, California HS

9) Washington: Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego

10) Houston: Aaron Crow, RHP, Missouri

11) Texas: Ethan Martin, RHP, Georgia HS

12) Oakland: Aaron Hicks, OF, California HS

13) St. Louis: Christian Friedrich, LHP, Eastern Kentucky

14) Minnesota: Brett Wallace, 3B, Arizona State

15) LA Dodgers: Tim Melville, RHP, Missouri HS

16) Milwaukee: Shooter Hunt, RHP, Tulane

17) Toronto: Brett Lawrie, OF, Canada SS

18) NY Mets: Jason Castro, C, Stanford

19) Chicago Cubs: Gerrit Cole, RHP, California HS

20) Seattle: Tanner Scheppers, RHP, Fresno State

21) Detroit: Josh Fields, RHP, Georgia

22) NY Mets: Ike Davis, 1B, Arizona State

23) San Diego: Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Illinois HS

24) Philadelphia: Tyson Ross, RHP, California

25) Colorado: Jemile Weeks, 2B, Miami-Florida

26) Arizona: Anthony Hewitt, SS-OF, Connecticut HS

27) Minnesota: Reese Havens, SS, South Carolina

28) NY Yankees: Zach Collier, OF, California HS

29) Cleveland: Andrew Cashner, RHP, TCU

30) Boston: Casey Kelly, SS, Florida HS

If both Matusz and Crow are available, I think you have to pull the trigger on one of them. High School catchers in the first round are really risky picks.

QUOTE (Cerbaho-WG @ May 31, 2008 -> 11:18 AM)
Sickels has his first round mock up. I think it's completely f***ed up, but that's just me.

1) Tampa Bay: Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vandy

2) Pittsburgh: Tim Beckham, SS, Georgia HS

3) Kansas City: Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

4) Baltimore: Eric Hosmer, 1B, Florida HS

5) San Francisco: Yonder Alonso, 1B, Miami-Florida

6) Florida: Buster Posey, C, Florida State

7) Cincinnati: Gordon Beckham, SS, Georgia

8) Chicago WS: Kyle Skipworth, C, California HS

9) Washington: Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego

10) Houston: Aaron Crow, RHP, Missouri

11) Texas: Ethan Martin, RHP, Georgia HS

12) Oakland: Aaron Hicks, OF, California HS

13) St. Louis: Christian Friedrich, LHP, Eastern Kentucky

14) Minnesota: Brett Wallace, 3B, Arizona State

15) LA Dodgers: Tim Melville, RHP, Missouri HS

16) Milwaukee: Shooter Hunt, RHP, Tulane

17) Toronto: Brett Lawrie, OF, Canada SS

18) NY Mets: Jason Castro, C, Stanford

19) Chicago Cubs: Gerrit Cole, RHP, California HS

20) Seattle: Tanner Scheppers, RHP, Fresno State

21) Detroit: Josh Fields, RHP, Georgia

22) NY Mets: Ike Davis, 1B, Arizona State

23) San Diego: Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Illinois HS

24) Philadelphia: Tyson Ross, RHP, California

25) Colorado: Jemile Weeks, 2B, Miami-Florida

26) Arizona: Anthony Hewitt, SS-OF, Connecticut HS

27) Minnesota: Reese Havens, SS, South Carolina

28) NY Yankees: Zach Collier, OF, California HS

29) Cleveland: Andrew Cashner, RHP, TCU

30) Boston: Casey Kelly, SS, Florida HS

If both Matusz and Crow are available, I think you have to pull the trigger on one of them. High School catchers in the first round are really risky picks.

Holy cripes, all I got to say is if the Sox have there choice of those three guys, well s***, I'll be thrilled. Skipworth is the best prep catching prospect to come out since Mauer (doesn't mean he's as good as Mauer, but he's got great tools across the board and would be a tremendous pick at 8). At the same time, Matsuz/Crow are both very polished pitchers. Matsusz with 4 good pitches (my concern is I hate drafting a guy without a "plus" pitch that early) and Crow has good juice on his FB and a plus slider (very good feel for pitching as well). I'd probably go Crow or Skipworth if that was who was on the board.

Interesting to see the Orioles taking Hosmer. They have dealt with Boras clients with some success though, plus with the 8/15 signing day, it pretty much speeds up the negotiation process. The top 11 picks have an interesting order, but I think he did a pretty good job pegging the lower spots (which could give some validation to the top, depending on whether he's doing this based on what he's hearing or how he'd slot people).

QUOTE (fathom @ May 31, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)
Why would the Reds take a SS? They have Phillips, Frazier, and Keppinger up the middle.

The Reds have been for all intents and purposes considered a lock to grab Crow if he falls. I know BA has indicated that the Reds already have pretty much given a guarantee to Crow that if he's there, they will take him.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 31, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
The one thing with Wallace is that he's going to have to really work every off-season to make sure he keeps the speed he has (because he does have good speed for a corner infielder, despite his large torso). He dropped a significant amount of weight this past year and hopefully when he gets drafted he will stay serious (I see no reason he wouldn't as I've never read anything which has questioned his work-ethic) and continue to stay in shape and keep those pounds off (because as long as he's able to do that, he should be able to rake and he should move up the latter very quickly).

2 weeks ago, I would have had nothing to do with Wallace. Now, if the Sox are going to take a bat and Skipworth/Smoak are gone (I'm already assuming Alvarez and Crow/Matsusz (The two pitchers I'd have no problem taking are gone) than I'd have no problem going the Wallace or Beckham approach (Wallace is the much safer pick, Beckham could fill a tougher position but offensively I would be stunned if Beckham ever hit like Wallace did at a major league level (that isn't a knock on Beckham either).

btw...Wallace went a pedestrian 4 for 5 in ASU's opening round game with a MONSTER dinger yesterday. The dude can flat out rake. I know this sounds strange...and I don't make the comparison...but the name everybody throws out here when talking about Wallace's place in ASU history is Bob Horner. I wouldn't be disappointed with this pick at all if it's not Smoak.

As for that list above...I really rather not see Wallace go to Minnesota to be the Kent Hrbek reincarnation. Also...I REALLY doubt that Tampa takes Alvarez when they already have Longoria. Just seems like the same player to me.

Edited by Wanne