White Sox sign Esteban Loaiza/Option Wassermann

Steff

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dodgers didn't handle him very well at all this season (with Kuo taking over his spot IIRC).

I'm not against the idea, so long as he's ok being the backup option at AAA.

We may need someone to throw some innings if Contreras, Danks or Floyd gets tired or injured, and would people rather depend on a Loaiza or a Lance Broadway to fill in at that point?

It's basically the B-Mac role of 2005 I guess.

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
Maybe he goes to the pen??

Long relief would be my guess. Regardless, it never hurts to have some insurance. And at the league minimum is a plus.

So would Wasserman get sent down, Loaiza becomes the long - man, and Masset moves into Wasserman's role in the pen perhaps?

With the DFA of Wise, we had 2 spots free on the 40 man roster anyways.

Who knows, maybe Coop can get his cutter going again.

Interesting move. I always liked Loaiza. I don't know how much he has left nor do I really grasp where he's going to fit. That said, you never know who goes down and what Kenny has up his sleeve. I've long been comfortable with a guy like Broadway being able to come up if someone goes down, but if its crunch time maybe the Sox are more comfortable going to a veteran in that circumstance.

Or, maybe the Sox are going to see what Loaiza can bring and at that point trade one of there starters (hoping Esteban can come in and be a league average starter) for some offense.

Sun-Times:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2008/06...e_sox.html#more

Loaiza to White Sox

When Ozzie said some changes needed to be made, he probably wasn't thinking about acquiring Esteban Loiaza.

Yet, it looks like Loaiza is coming back to the South Side.

Look at it as an insurance policy in case one of the starters goes down or for long relief.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
When Ozzie went on a rant about needing more offense I didnt think he meant for the other team...Maybe if we play our cards right we can lure Carl Everett or Robbie Alomar too.

He's hitting .333. Maybe Joey Cora can take time off from the Preakness and teach him how to play a position.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 4, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)
Gosh, I will never forget how filthy he was in 03. 97 MPH cutter. Than it just went away.

I dont recall him ever hitting 97 mph with a cutter.

Either way its a decent insurance policy if one of our guys goes down with a tweak. Not to mention sometimes the young guys need some extended rest.