6/20 Game Thread - CWS @ CHC, 1:20pm CT

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Dotel is OK, but I seem him as more of an innings-eater than somebody you throw out there to cover the 7th in a close game. I'd rather they put Thornton in that role. He's tough on righties and Logan is still available as a LOOGY.

You got me to my next point. Thornton is actually better vs. righties, and Ozzie seems to insist on putting him in only if a lefty is batting. I'd much prefer Thornton being the 7th inning guy, lefty or righty batting, with Linebrink being the 8th inning guy, and like you said, Dotel being the innings eater.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
I could see pulling Danks for Thome against a righty in the 7th, but certainly not Uribe.

I realize Thome draws walks, but why would we ever waste Thome's bat off the bench to start the inning (unless we are talking about a one run game). Otherwise the smartest thing you can do is hold Thome's bat as long as possible (saving him for a situation where he could potentially have a significant impact on the game).

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
We sacrificed Danks for Juan Uribe. Even though Uribe got a hit, that's LOL worthy.

I'm willing to bet almost anything, postgame, Ozzie will say it's because who was due up for the cubs, NOT because he simply wanted a PH - Uribe at that.

When you're up 3-1 that's not the logic. Down 3-1, it is. You PH for anyone.

Cause the more you see a pitcher, the better chance you have hitting him.

You sound like Hawk.

I'd say putting in Dotel and cutting Danks for URIBE is a far bigger risk than leaving in you're already cruising pitcher with a relatively low pitch count, especially considering some of the key f***ups Dotel has made so far this year.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
Its pretty evident the more times through the lineup, plus the added fatigue, and its only going to get more difficult to get guys out. Bottom line is I wouldn't have had a problem if Ozzie went either way because you could make the argument that either move makes sense.

The only time there is legitimate reason to question a call (as far as I'm concerned) is if there is no rationale reasoning behind such move.

There was no rational picking Dotel out of all people when you have seen what he has done in hostile environments. Like when he came in against the Yankees in the opener against them I believe it was. Completely choked and I called it. He is not the same pitcher he was. Stop using him. I honestly have more confidence in Masset because at least his stuff is pretty good. He actually has a chance. Dotel has the mentality that he could still go right down the middle with his fastball or slider because he hasn't come to terms that he's lost it. He can't blow anyone by anymore.