5 Reasons to be Optimistic

Jake

Some much needed optimism from the Chicago Examiner.

Link

Five reasons to be optimistic about the White Sox POSTED June 23, 6:34 PM

John Danks is quietly developing into the ace of the White Sox staff, sporting a

2.80 ERA in 86.0 innings of work this year.

Last weekend's three-game series against the Cubs summed up the 2008 Chicago White Sox when they're going bad.

In game one, they could pitch, but couldn't hit, losing 4-3.

In game two, they couldn't pitch, but could hit, losing 11-7.

In game three, they couldn't pitch or hit, losing 7-1.

Yes, the Sox were badly beaten this weekend. Maybe, they now have a better understanding for what Alf Landon went through in the 1936 presidential election.

The Twins have won six straight and are all of a sudden just 1.5 games back of the first-place Sox in the American League Central. The Tigers are hanging around, and so are the Indians.

Things aren't looking up for the Sox nearly as much as they were five days ago, when the Sox started a three-game series against Pittsburgh in which they scored a whopping 37 runs.

There are plenty of reasons to think this team will miss out on the playoffs. They don't play good teams well, they don't have the organizational depth of other division leaders, Javier Vazquez and Jose Contreras are struggling, and they still have a struggling Jim Thome as the designated hitter, just to name a few.

However, it's June 23. The season doesn't end until September 28 (but don't tell that to the BELIEVE!!! Cub fans who already are searching for 2008 World Series tickets). There's a lot of time, and, believe it or not, a lot of reasons to think the White Sox can still pull this one off and finish in first place come late September.

1. The number 16

The White Sox play the Kansas City Royals 16 more times this year: nine on the road, six at home. Yes, the White Sox have played poorly on the road—but, come on, it's the Royals. The Sox have been beating teams they should beat all year, and Kansas City is one of those teams.

While the Royals are building a good foundation to win down the road, they're still a long way off. It wouldn't surprise me if the Royals started to contend for the AL Central in 2010 or so, but that's still two years off.

For the White Sox this year, the name of the game has been capitalizing on weak opponents, especially within their division. That won't stop against the lowly Royals.

2. The relief men

The bullpen has taken on such an increasing role in the last 20 years that it's come to the point where the team with the best bullpen will almost always make the playoffs.

Is it any coincidence that the Sox's collapse last season coincided with their bullpen completely falling apart? I don't think so.

This year, however, it's different.

Bobby Jenks is still one of the better closers in the game and has converted 16/19 save opportunities this year. He may not be throwing that 99-mph heat that he was in the 2005 playoffs, but he's getting the job done just as well.

The free agents brought in by Kenny Williams have been huge in turning this bullpen around. Scott Linebrink is pitching better than he did in his two career years with the Padres in 2004 and 2005, when he posted ERA's of 2.14 and 1.83, respectively. His ERA this year is currently at 1.55—and while ERA is a tricky stat to judge relievers on, when it's that low, you know Linebrink is doing something well.

Outside of the occasional shaky outing, Octavio Dotel has been lights-out this year, fanning 51 batters in 35.1 innings of work.

The lefties in the White Sox bullpen have been just as, if not more, impressive than the two free-agent signings. Matt Thornton and Boone Logan both have seen their velocities creep up into the mid to upper-90's and have both done excellent jobs, whether in situational spots or for full innings.

Nick Masset has made the most of his big-league opportunity this year after just barely making the roster out of spring training. The right-hander has worked in long and middle relief situations and, much to the surprise of many, has done pretty well in both roles.

This bullpen has the ability to turn a nine inning game into a six inning game, provided Dotel doesn't hang a few breaking balls. They've also thrown an absurdly low amount of innings—179.0 between Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton, Logan, and Masset—so there should be no worry about this group breaking down come August and September.

3. We're going streaking

While it may be incredibly frustrating for the fans, the fact that the White Sox are incredibly streaky is a good thing.

Why? Well, simply put: it's better than being consistently bad.

This is a White Sox team that has gone from scoring 61 runs in seven games to 14 in six games to 37 in three games to 11 in three games. They've gone on eight and seven-game winning streaks, but have also lost three in a row six times, including twice on a six-game losing streak (thanks, third grade math).

A lot of this has to do with the pitching the White Sox have faced, but regardless, get used to it: the White Sox will be like this for the rest of the year. This lends hope because after a series as bad as last weekend's, the Sox have the ability to come back and play great baseball.

4. The former top dogs have more bark than bite

The AL Central really isn't that good this year. The Tigers, Indians, and Twins were all picked to finish ahead of the White Sox, but none of these teams really has the talent to overtake the White Sox for the long haul.

I know, I've heard the story before. The Twins don't have the talent, but they always find a way to win.

Referring back to reason #2 for a second, it's no coincidence that the Twins won the division in 2003, 2004, and 2006 with a good bullpen. While Joe Nathan still is one of the top three closers in the game, Minnesota will have a difficult time getting him the ball with a lead with Pat Neshek out for the season. Jesse Crain and Denys Reyes have been good, but they're nowhere near the level of Neshek when he was healthy.

Even if Francisco Liriano returns at full strength sometime soon, I don't think it'll be enough for the Twins to overtake the White Sox.

Like the Twins, Detroit is on a hot streak right now, winning 12 out of their last 15 games. In that stretch, the Tigers got prized relievers Fernando Rodney and Joel Zumaya back from the disabled list, which they had been on all year. Granted, they've only pitched a combined two innings so far, but they've allowed six earned runs in that short span.

Even if they both come back healthy, the fact that the Tigers don't have a bona fide fifth starter could really come back to bite them. Right now, it's Eddie Bonine, but he's marginal at best. I'm not sold on Armando Galarraga finishing out the year at the pace he's on right now, either. Something tells me the league will catch up to him in August and he'll struggle down the stretch.

Cleveland is hanging around, too, but has yet to make a real push at first place. The White Sox could put them away with a three-game series at U.S. Cellular Field starting June 30 and force the hand of G.M. Mark Shapiro into trading CC Sabathia away from the division.

To put it bluntly, the only team that can knock the White Sox out of first place is the White Sox themselves. None of these teams have the pitching depth the Sox do to contend down the stretch.

5. In Kenny we trust

After getting some terrible deals out of his system (David Wells, Todd Ritchie, Billy Koch) in his early years as general manager of the White Sox, Kenny Williams has proven time and time again that he knows exactly what he's doing when he makes—or doesn't make—a trade.

In 2005, the lone acquisition at the trade deadline was Geoff Blum, when many Sox fans were clamoring for the team to go out and get a big left-handed bat in Ken Griffey Jr. or a top-of-the-line starter in AJ Burnett.

Williams' best moves seem to be the ones that fans either initially hate (Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik and Luis Vizcaino, Freddy Garcia for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez, Gio Gonzalez/Fautino de los Santos/Ryan Sweeney for Nick Swisher) or shrewd moves that are passed over by many with a "meh" (Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin, Joe Borchard for Matt Thornton).

The point behind this is that White Sox fans should trust their general manager to make the right move (or non-move) for the better of the team. If Williams sees a hole, he'll fix it.

So, if you find yourself saying "what was Kenny thinking?" on August 1, remember: trust in Kenny, and all shall be good.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:02 PM)
Pitching

Pitching

Pitching

Pitching

Pitching

Exactly.

This offense can remain inconsistent and streaky as hell, but if we're pitching well for the rest of the season, we're going to win 85 games and that will probably be enough in this division.

The bullpen is absolutely critical also. They've got to keep getting the job done.

QUOTE (letsgoarow @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
nice article

It was a very good article.. puts many things into perspective. Our sluggers and pitching have the ability to put together 2 or 3 more 7/8 game winning streaks. However when we dont hit, we can easily lose 3 in a row. When the Sox runs into good pitching, it starts to become more difficult to score runs. This team needs to finally start thinking about manufacturing runs every once in awhile. Unfortanately we really dont have too many players to do such a thing. This is why i want KW to make a push for Willy Taveras. His average maybe a little down this year, but he has 35 SBs and he would change the entire look of our team. Where would he play? Thats the problem, we have no room for him. However, if Thome continues to struggle, i would seriously consider trading him before his option kicks in for next year. Teams like Boston, Angels, or even the Rays could be looking for a DH down the road. This team has pleanty of power w/o Thome in the lineup: Quentin 17HR, Dye 16HR, Crede 15HR, Konerko 8HR, Swisher 8HR. With Taveras leading off a lineup such as this can actually manufacture some runs and switch things up a little bit.

Willy Taveras CF

Orlando Cabrera SS

Carlos Quentin LF

Jermaine Dye RF/ DH

Paul Konerko DH/1B

AJ Pierzynski C

Nick Swisher 1B/RF

Joe Crede 3B

Alexei Ramirez SS

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
It was a very good article.. puts many things into perspective. Our sluggers and pitching have the ability to put together 2 or 3 more 7/8 game winning streaks. However when we dont hit, we can easily lose 3 in a row. When the Sox runs into good pitching, it starts to become more difficult to score runs. This team needs to finally start thinking about manufacturing runs every once in awhile. Unfortanately we really dont have too many players to do such a thing. This is why i want KW to make a push for Willy Taveras. His average maybe a little down this year, but he has 35 SBs and he would change the entire look of our team. Where would he play? Thats the problem, we have no room for him. However, if Thome continues to struggle, i would seriously consider trading him before his option kicks in for next year. Teams like Boston, Angels, or even the Rays could be looking for a DH down the road. This team has pleanty of power w/o Thome in the lineup: Quentin 17HR, Dye 16HR, Crede 15HR, Konerko 8HR, Swisher 8HR. With Taveras leading off a lineup such as this can actually manufacture some runs and switch things up a little bit.

Willy Taveras CF

Orlando Cabrera SS

Carlos Quentin LF

Jermaine Dye RF/ DH

Paul Konerko DH/1B

AJ Pierzynski C

Nick Swisher 1B/RF

Joe Crede 3B

Alexei Ramirez SS

These are teams that the Sox could very well be playing in the post-season...so I don't think Kenny would deal with them. Also, I thin the organ-i-zation likes Thome too much to ship him away, if he doesn't want to go. Not saying they shouldn't ship him out, I just don't think it's going to happen. Konerko either.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
I would lose Paulie and Thome before the ASB to pick up speed and average, no problem. If anybody will take them.

They aint goin anywhere unless they say its ok. I think Thome has a NTC for a certain amount of teams, and Pauly is 10 and 5

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
They aint goin anywhere unless they say its ok. I think Thome has a NTC for a certain amount of teams, and Pauly is 10 and 5

Thome's NTC covers some 30 MLB teams. You'd need his approval to trade him to the White Sox.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 01:57 PM)
Thome's NTC covers some 30 MLB teams. You'd need his approval to trade him to the White Sox.

Either that or DFA him to open up roster space before he hits that 400-some at-bat milestone where next year's option kicks in. But I don't see them doing that.

Everyone in the organization likes Paulie and he sells tickets/merchandise, so he won't be going anywhere soon either.

Edited by WCSox

If I were Jim Thome, I'd blow up Soxtalk for getting on my case when I've been the 4th best hitter for the White Sox.

DO YOU PEOPLE NOT WATCH GAMES OR LOOK AT NUMBERS? no, Jim Thome just strikes out a lot and he's kinda ugly and he's old so therefore he must suck

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
If I were Jim Thome, I'd blow up Soxtalk for getting on my case when I've been the 4th best hitter for the White Sox.

DO YOU PEOPLE NOT WATCH GAMES OR LOOK AT NUMBERS? no, Jim Thome just strikes out a lot and he's kinda ugly and he's old so therefore he must suck

Thome is currently hitting .229, has already struck out 70 times (with only 41 walks), and can't do anything but DH. He's clearly lost bat speed and is in decline as a hitter. If it's not bad enough that we're paying him $14 million this year to do this, we'll automatically owe him another $13 million next year.

While I don't necessarily advocate asking to him revoke his no-trade clause or DFAing him, as he's one of my favorite players, it's understandable that some people would rather not watch him get blown away by 89 mph fastballs next season and would like to see JD or Paulie moved to DH.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 04:14 PM)

Please let me know next time Thome has a clutch hit in a crucial situation. Those are few and VERY far between for him.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
Thome is currently hitting .229, has already struck out 70 times (with only 41 walks), and can't do anything but DH. He's clearly lost bat speed and is in decline as a hitter. If it's not bad enough that we're paying him $14 million this year to do this, we'll automatically owe him another $13 million next year.

While I don't necessarily advocate asking to him revoke his no-trade clause or DFAing him, as he's one of my favorite players, it's understandable that some people would rather not watch him get blown away by 89 mph fastballs next season and would like to see JD or Paulie moved to DH.

I'm not talking about next season, I'm talking about this season. If his option vests, it vests and then it becomes a concern. Right now, it hasn't vested and he's produced better than most people want to give him credit for. Sure he's hit .229, but he's getting on at a .353 clip and has an .824 OPS. He's performing fine.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
Please let me know next time Thome has a clutch hit in a crucial situation. Those are few and VERY far between for him.

He's good in tie games, with RISP, 1st and 2nd, 1st and 3rd, and a runner on 3rd with less than two outs. He's been bad in most others. Clutch hits are overrated though...that homer in the first or the fourth generally means just the same as the homer in the 9th. The point remains that he's been as good or better then most of the hitters on the Sox and because he's "unclutch" in some situations he's a terrible ball player.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 05:17 PM)
I'm not talking about next season, I'm talking about this season. If his option vests, it vests and then it becomes a concern.

If he stays in the lineup, it's going to vest.

Right now, it hasn't vested and he's produced better than most people want to give him credit for. Sure he's hit .229, but he's getting on at a .353 clip and has an .824 OPS. He's performing fine.

He's hitting .229 and on pace to whiff 162 times this season with less than 100 walks. That's not "fine." His OBP (which is still almost 50 points below his career average) and his HR power (also on the decline) are the only positives at this point. It's a good thing that AJ is able to provide a solid left-handed bat in the two-hole, because Thome can't hit 3rd in the lineup anymore. He's more like a #6 hitter at this point.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
I would lose Paulie and Thome before the ASB to pick up speed and average, no problem. If anybody will take them.

We are in the first half of the season. Don't give up on the two guys that bring experience and stability to the team

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
He's hitting .229 and on pace to whiff 162 times this season with less than 100 walks. That's not "fine." His OBP (which is still almost 50 points below his career average) and his HR power (also on the decline) are the only positives at this point. It's a good thing that AJ is able to provide a solid left-handed bat in the two-hole, because Thome can't hit 3rd in the lineup anymore. He's more like a #6 hitter at this point.

In June, Jim Thome is hitting .302 with a .406 OBP and a 1.048 OPS.

I love that the golden solution to all our problems is to get "a fast guy who can manufacture runs". A speedster is great and all, but if he hits .230 with an OBP of .299, what the hell is the point? All you do is add a couple extra SB to the stat line and lose any potential HR's.

Thome has been better than most people give him credit for but most of his hits come in bunches then he goes 0 for a week with no productive at bats. I would like to see a platoon at dh with paulie and thome although that probably isnt realistic considering it would be the most expensive platoon in history but sometimes you have to accept sunk costs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 07:15 PM)
In June, Jim Thome is hitting .302 with a .406 OBP and a 1.048 OPS.

Hopefully he won't lose his improved stroke after riding the pine in all of these interleague games. Because he can't go back to hitting like he did in April and May.

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 03:27 AM)
Thome has been better than most people give him credit for but most of his hits come in bunches then he goes 0 for a week with no productive at bats. I would like to see a platoon at dh with paulie and thome although that probably isnt realistic considering it would be the most expensive platoon in history but sometimes you have to accept sunk costs.

Why would you want that? Konerko has been absolutely terrible no matter what hand the dude is throwing with, and Thome's OPS against righties is .752 while it's 1.012 against lefties. A platoon makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 24, 2008 -> 10:57 PM)
I love that the golden solution to all our problems is to get "a fast guy who can manufacture runs". A speedster is great and all, but if he hits .230 with an OBP of .299, what the hell is the point? All you do is add a couple extra SB to the stat line and lose any potential HR's.

That is a textbook straw man - not a single person on this board, or hopefully in the entire fanbase actually wants that. A "fast guy who can manufacture runs" is ideally a prototypical leadoff hitter who makes good contact, a high average and OBP, and is someone who can get into scoring position often and won't get held up at 3rd on a double like half our hitters seem to do.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
That is a textbook straw man - not a single person on this board, or hopefully in the entire fanbase actually wants that. A "fast guy who can manufacture runs" is ideally a prototypical leadoff hitter who makes good contact, a high average and OBP, and is someone who can get into scoring position often and won't get held up at 3rd on a double like half our hitters seem to do.

But thats my point exactly. People just say "go get him" like there is an abundance of awesome lead-off guys just sitting around somewhere. If there actually were, and they didn't require us trading away half of our starting rotation, I am betting that it would be done already.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jun 25, 2008 -> 12:37 PM)
But thats my point exactly. People just say "go get him" like there is an abundance of awesome lead-off guys just sitting around somewhere. If there actually were, and they didn't require us trading away half of our starting rotation, I am betting that it would be done already.

Not necessarily. There are teams that are still in the race now that won't be in the race 3 weeks from now; right now, those players are currently unavailable whereas they will be available 3-4 weeks from now.

Adding to that, the price may also be too high right now, whereas in 2-4 weeks, that price may have lowered a bit and KW can strike quickly.

A potential buy-low candidate could be Willy Taveras. He's probably not a starting caliber player, but he'd be a nice outfield option off the bench who can steal a base, get the bunt down, and score from 1st on a double. He is 35 of 37 in steals this year so that could easily drive his value up, but if the Rockies trade him at face value, the Sox should definitely inquire.

Edited by witesoxfan