The Dark Knight

knightni

QUOTE (The Critic @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 07:05 AM)
Yep. That's what I do.

Movies to me are the same in principle as books - when I start one, I usually like to finish it.

When I rent movies, though, that principle does not apply. If a rented movie is stupid and horrible (I'm looking at YOU, Napoleon Dynamite), I shut it off with no problem whatsoever.

As for live events, when I've had my fill I split. I don't worry about what I might miss.

Inconsistent? It sure is.

Oh so you're the guy that gets up in the middle of a CQ at bat in the 8th to beat the crowd to the parking lot? ;)

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 07:17 AM)
Oh so you're the guy that gets up in the middle of a CQ at bat in the 8th to beat the crowd to the parking lot? ;)

The EIGHTH?????

The joke I use is:

"I hear the Sox have a pitcher named Jenks, but I've never seen him....is he any good?"

The thing is, with my goofy-ass work hours, I have to leave a game in about the 6th or 7th at the latest if I'm going to get any sleep.

If I want to pretend to be a normal human being, I have to burn a vacation day the next day. I can only do that so often.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 29, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Exactly, when Ledger is not on screen, the film is average.

SO? He's on screen for 60% of the movie. He's a part of the movie.

How would "There Will Be Blood" have been without Daniel Day-Lewis? How would "The Shawshank Redemption" have been without Morgan Freeman? Hell, how would "Fight Club" have been without Brad Pitt?

Seriously, he's part of the movie, so saying it's mediocre without him is absurd.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
SO? He's on screen for 60% of the movie. He's a part of the movie.

How would "There Will Be Blood" have been without Daniel Day-Lewis? How would "The Shawshank Redemption" have been without Morgan Freeman? Hell, how would "Fight Club" have been without Brad Pitt?

Seriously, he's part of the movie, so saying it's mediocre without him is absurd.

I don't think it's absurd to say that at all.

It's just another way of saying that the other performances were not as interesting. I think that's a solid assessment.

It was a very good movie, I won't say it was mediocre or average, but if another actor had given a lesser performance, the rest of the movie wouldn't have held my interest nearly as much.

Ledger kept me interested much more than the plot or the other actors. That's all I'm saying.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
This is kind of funny... yowsa.

IMDB is useless for ratings. Morons vote 10's or 1's to try to influence the average instead of just voting what they really think the movie was. There's a whole bunch of fanboys/ morons voting 10 for Batman and 1 for Godfather/ Shawshank so that Batman is #1.

They really need to fix that somehow. IMDB used to be pretty good.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:08 AM)
IMDB is useless for ratings. Morons vote 10's or 1's to try to influence the average instead of just voting what they really think the movie was. There's a whole bunch of fanboys/ morons voting 10 for Batman and 1 for Godfather/ Shawshank so that Batman is #1.

don't forget the 5,000+ voters/ morons who voted 1 for batman.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:43 AM)
don't forget the 5,000+ voters/ morons who voted 1 for batman.

The whole thing is just ridiculous. Who really gives a damn what the #1 movie is on IMDB. But I will say, is that while I loved the Dark Knight there can't be anyone that really believes that is the greatest movie of all time.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:51 AM)
The whole thing is just ridiculous. Who really gives a damn what the #1 movie is on IMDB. But I will say, is that while I loved the Dark Knight there can't be anyone that really believes that is the greatest movie of all time.

Why not?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)

I don't know if it's the greatest film of all time, but let's just say I enjoyed it more than The Godfather.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 30, 2008 -> 10:08 AM)

when looking at imdb.. i take away 10 and 1 and look at what the most votes are after those two, because 10 and 1 are usually the most. The Dark Knight currently with 26k for a 9, and 13k for an 8....so somewhere in between those two is about right.

Ok after a 2 week wait (sold out at IMAX in NY for 2 weeks as I refused to go see it at a normal cinema) finally got to see it last night.

Here are my thoughts;

1 - Heath Ledger as the Joker is probably the best villian I've ever seen. He had a great script to work with, but he played his role so perfectly, you wanted him to win, you wanted him to cause damage, you wanted to see him escape, just to see what he would do next. The part with him walking out of the Hospital in the Nurse's outfit, blowing it up, then stopping, pressing the button 3 or 4 times, and then running off in the bus, that almost had me on the floor laughing. The ending for him though, that left me disappointed. I know Batman doesn't want to really "kill" anyone, but to leave the Joker hanging there like that to be captured by a Swat Team, at least have the SWAT team shoot him or something.

2 - Bale's performance was Meh. I know the focused on the Joker a lot, but it seemed like Batman was the 3rd wheel for mine in this flick. Joker was #1, and then Harvey Dent / Two Face was #2. Or at least after the 1st 30 mins, that's what I thought.

3 - Gylenhal might not be very "hot", but at least she didn't give a wooden performance as Katie Holmes did in the last movie. How do you think Holmes' would have played that scene in which Dawes was about to get blown up. Not very well I would imagine. Good performance from her.

4 - Two Face's face was quite gruesome to say the least. He looked like a half Terminator or something. Maybe we'll see him in the 3rd I don't know (doubtful as have heard that they're talking to Angelina Jolie about playing Catwoman in the next film). THought Eckhart played Dent well, not so much Two Face though.

5 - Interested that Batman was right on the top after the end of the 1st movie, and now he's done the bottom after the 2nd. The woman that he loved is dead, Fox has re-signed, Dent is no longer there, and he's being chased by Gordon and Co. The 3rd movie will be all about redemption I would imagine.

All in all I really enjoyed the film, but there were certainly aspects they could have done a little better. I'll miss Heath Ledger big time after seeing him in that though.

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)

4 - Two Face's face was quite gruesome to say the least. He looked like a half Terminator or something. Maybe we'll see him in the 3rd I don't know (doubtful as have heard that they're talking to Angelina Jolie about playing Catwoman in the next film). THought Eckhart played Dent well, not so much Two Face though.

5 - Interested that Batman was right on the top after the end of the 1st movie, and now he's done the bottom after the 2nd. The woman that he loved is dead, Fox has re-signed, Dent is no longer there, and he's being chased by Gordon and Co. The 3rd movie will be all about redemption I would imagine.

Lucius Fox didn't quit. He threatened to quit if Batman had kept the sonar machine, but when it was destroyed at the end. Lucius stayed on.

The Jolie/Catwoman thing is internet speculation.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)

Lucius Fox didn't quit. He threatened to quit if Batman had kept the sonar machine, but when it was destroyed at the end. Lucius stayed on.

The Jolie/Catwoman thing is internet speculation.

I thought when Fox was walking out at the end, they were making it seem like that was it, he was gone from the Company forever for Bruce doing what he did to find the Joker.

No, Fox had his faith rewarded. He typed in his name, the machine self destructed, he smiled because Batman kept his promise.

P.S. all you Dent/Two-Face fans, he wasn't breathing and we saw a body lying there. He's dead.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)

P.S. all you Dent/Two-Face fans, he wasn't breathing and we saw a body lying there. He's dead.

believe what you want. I choose to believe that we saw the death of Harvey Dent, not the death of Two Face

From Wiki;

At the end of the film Two-Face is pushed off a building by Batman, but producer Emma Thomas said the fall was ambiguous enough to suggest that he may still be alive.[14] Aaron Eckhart has said that given the chance, he "absolutely" would return to the role.[15]

comic book characters can survive anything. My question always is how come everyone in that movie survives a fall off a building BUT Two Face? Rachel Dawes dropped about 20 stories and landed on a car with batman and survived, the mobster was dropped by batman and survived, Batman AND Two Face dropped the same distance and Batman survived.

And more to that effect, why waste the character on a 20 minute ending of the movie? Two Face deserves more time than that

QUOTE (DBAH0 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Any thoughts on who would be Soxy?

Katie Holmes?

Honestly I have no idea. I mean Thandie Newton and Charlize Theron are both better actresses and prettier, so maybe one of them?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2008 -> 02:03 PM)

comic book characters can survive anything. My question always is how come everyone in that movie survives a fall off a building BUT Two Face? Rachel Dawes dropped about 20 stories and landed on a car with batman and survived, the mobster was dropped by batman and survived, Batman AND Two Face dropped the same distance and Batman survived.

And more to that effect, why waste the character on a 20 minute ending of the movie? Two Face deserves more time than that

20 minutes? His whole part of the story (after becoming two-face) was a least an hour, if not more. I'll be honest, I thought when he first became two face that the movie was about over and they were setting up the next villian. But it seems weird to me that they'd complete his story arc just to bring him back. I mean, I think from the movie he's dead, but that wouldn't stop them from bringing him back. Who knows. No point in speculating since we're talking about comic book characters here.