The Dark Knight

knightni

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 08:34 AM)
Back to the subject at hand, I actually think that Ruebens might be able to deliver the goods on the Riddler. JMO. It will probably never happen, but I think he would be a good choice

I think he could bring a creepiness to the role, but I don't think he would bring any sense of menace to the character.

It would be an intriguing choice, but IMO it wouldn't quite work.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 09:01 AM)
I think he could bring a creepiness to the role, but I don't think he would bring any sense of menace to the character.

It would be an intriguing choice, but IMO it wouldn't quite work.

I had the same reservation about Ledger playing the Joker

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 09:08 AM)
I had the same reservation about Ledger playing the Joker

Fair enough.

I hadn't remembered seeing anything Ledger had done before TDK (although my wife told me he was in Monster's Ball, which we had seen together), so I had no preconceptions about him.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Sep 7, 2008 -> 08:17 AM)
Fair enough.

I hadn't remembered seeing anything Ledger had done before TDK (although my wife told me he was in Monster's Ball, which we had seen together), so I had no preconceptions about him.

I did, and being a huge Batman fan since childhood, I questioned him being cast. However, since BB was the best Batman movie IMO, I gave Nolan the benefit of the doubt.

Ledger is the Joker.

Edited by CubKilla

Johnny Depp and Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the Riddler and Penguin?

According to MTV Michael Caine (who played Bruce Wayne’s long time friend/butler Alfred in Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) mentioned that Depp and Hoffman are firmly in the sights of Warner Bros for the (anti-)dynamic duo of The Riddler and The Penguin.

From the interview with MTV:

“I was with [a Warner Bros.] executive and I said, ‘Are we going to make another one?’ They said yeah. I said, ‘How the hell are we going to top Heath? And he says ‘I’ll tell you how you top Heath - Johnny Depp as The Riddler and Philip Seymour Hoffman as The Penguin.’ I said, ‘S-t, they’ve done it again!’” [Laughs]

I'd love to see Depp as the Riddler. I never was a fan of the Penguin character. I don't know if I would like this series of Batman films to go down the path like the previous series with multiple villains. Clogs things up IMO.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
I'd love to see Depp as the Riddler. I never was a fan of the Penguin character. I don't know if I would like this series of Batman films to go down the path like the previous series with multiple villains. Clogs things up IMO.

Its already down that path, Scarecrow and Ras Al Ghul, Joker and Two Face

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
Its already down that path, Scarecrow and Ras Al Ghul, Joker and Two Face

But it is different. They weren't full blown villains. In The Schumacher movies, they have 10 minutes of back story than boom, crap.

Nolan builds those guys up than they become villians, except the Joker but the fact he has no backstory is what makes him great.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)

I agree completely. I'm interested in Depp as the Riddler, but I do not like the penguin character at all. I'm also with you that multiple villains aren't necessary or desired.

I dont think one villain would be enough in a batman movie, the 2nd one did a very good job at developing both Two Face and Joker so I dont understand why people think it cant be done. I wasnt a big fan of the penguin in the old batman movie but being played by Dustin Hoffman sounds intriguing. Ofcourse Johnny Depp would be perfect for the Riddler.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 05:22 PM)
I dont think one villain would be enough in a batman movie, the 2nd one did a very good job at developing both Two Face and Joker so I dont understand why people think it cant be done. I wasnt a big fan of the penguin in the old batman movie but being played by Dustin Hoffman sounds intriguing. Ofcourse Johnny Depp would be perfect for the Riddler.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman...

Why does everyone think Depp would be great as the Riddler?????

I ask this question in all seriousness because, if Nolan directs the 3rd movie, the Riddler will probably be unlike any interpretation of the character casual Batman fans are familiar with. What makes Depp so "perfect" for the role?

Enlighten me. Please.

QUOTE (CubKilla @ Sep 9, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
Why does everyone think Depp would be great as the Riddler?????

I ask this question in all seriousness because, if Nolan directs the 3rd movie, the Riddler will probably be unlike any interpretation of the character casual Batman fans are familiar with. What makes Depp so "perfect" for the role?

Enlighten me. Please.

I think its because Depp is very good about playing a Jester type character. You can only reinterpret the Riddler character so much. Sure, he could be a cold blooded killer, but he will still have the clues left behind, and the overconfident personality laughing at everyone trying to keep up with him. The Joker has had a few different makeovers(from silly to psychotic) during the his history, but the Riddler has pretty much stayed the course.

I dont know that Depp would be the greatest, but I certainly dont think he would be a bad choice

Why would Depp ever take that role? Honestly, would you want to come in and take a role where no matter what you did you'd never be able to be as good as Ledger? Heck, even if he did have as good of a performance as Ledger (and Depp is an amazing actor so he possibly could) no one would really recognize it as such.

That would be a terrible role to accept, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
Why would Depp ever take that role? Honestly, would you want to come in and take a role where no matter what you did you'd never be able to be as good as Ledger? Heck, even if he did have as good of a performance as Ledger (and Depp is an amazing actor so he possibly could) no one would really recognize it as such.

The Riddler and the Joker are two completely different roles. Personally I would never compare the two. That said, I wouldn't want Depp in the role. I can't put my finger on it, but when I think of him playing something dark it's more on the reality side of things. Like that movie where he was the writer. The Window something or other I think it was called.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)

At the same time, any actor taking any villain role in the next Batman will be held up to that standard, so it is a lose-lose situation no matter what.

Personally, I can take each movie as a seperate entity telling the same story. While I am going to want another Joker, I know its not gonna happen, and I am not going to be mad that someone isnt the Joker.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Sep 10, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
Depp would be too "comic relief" for me as the Riddler I'd feel anyway.

Nolan likes to make his villians far more "serious" also.

And I agree with this, but if thats the case then the Riddler should be avoided